F1 2021

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
It’ll be interesting to see what change the new set of rules bring next season. If it brings the ability to race closer, overtake more and brings teams like Ferrari nearer the front it’ll be great.

for me though, much more importantly will be the fall out from yesterdays race. It seems to me there needs to be a proper set of rules for safety car, track limits etc. it’s not hard in a sport that has so many sensors and cameras.

Make it black and white rules - anywhere on track you cross white lines it’s a penalty or cut engine power. Safety car deployed? Shut pit lane. VSC? Same thing. Red flag? Nobody gets to work on their car.
This, exactly !

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Incredible finish, especially considering the stakes. Might have been some questionable rule interpretations / changes at the end, but on the bright side it created a fan-friendly finish. The cynical side of me says that F1 is probably ecstatic about this result: It may attract more casual fans and Hamilton has been one of the most disliked champions ever (so I'm told), so new blood is wanted.

Cleanfoam

Forum GOD!
Mercedes are already ahead as they used a large amount of this years tokens on developing next years car
Yeah, its part of the reason Red Bull managed to be so competitive this season. I still hope that such a big change might allow one or two or the other teams to get involved in the constructors scrap. Who knows, maybe we'll get a McLaren or a Ferrari package that'll surprise us all and challenge the top 2!

Anyway - does anyone else wonder just how fast Lewis would be in that Red Bull, or Max in the Mercedes? Maybe we should have each driver doing a race in each of the cars on the grid - 12 teams, 24 cars, 24 drivers. Now that would be fun to watch

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
If almost feels as though the situation these days is to win at any cost. This saddens me immensely; you only have to look at the sportsmanship displayed by the likes of Sterling Moss and the greatest driver of them all, Juan Manuel Fangio, to see how far the sport has fallen over the last few years.

The championship winning shenanigans of Prost, Senna and Schumacher running their opponents off of the track in order to win a championship were bad enough, but compared to the events of this season (which has to be one of the most consistently exciting in recent years), pale into insignificance.
I think this is the case in all sports. I blame society's shortened attention span. If it saddens you now, I'm sorry to say it isn't going to get better. :(

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
Yeah, its part of the reason Red Bull managed to be so competitive this season. I still hope that such a big change might allow one or two or the other teams to get involved in the constructors scrap. Who knows, maybe we'll get a McLaren or a Ferrari package that'll surprise us all and challenge the top 2!

Anyway - does anyone else wonder just how fast Lewis would be in that Red Bull, or Max in the Mercedes? Maybe we should have each driver doing a race in each of the cars on the grid - 12 teams, 24 cars, 24 drivers. Now that would be fun to watch
YES! This would really feature the teams ... and the engineers! How cool would that be!

Cleanfoam

Forum GOD!
The rules aren't that difficult to sort out - in fact some of them exist (I'm thinking track limits). I mean if the track is defined as the white lines, but you're allowed to go over them in some places and not others then it's not difficult to see why there's confusion. Enforce the rule- anyone going outside the track boundary gets a penalty. Whether it's a time penalty, an engine cutting device, points on their license - whatever but make it a hard and fast black and white rule. That way there's no arguing.

Same with Safety car/VS. If one is deployed close the pit. If you do come in then you get a penalty.

Red flag? No work can be carried out on the car - if the race wasn't stopped and you have damage you'd have to retire.

It's a seriously complex sport with car regulations etc. but when it comes to racing it should be very straight forward. No grey areas means everyone knows the rules and the consequences of breaking them.

Just my tuppence worth - YMMV

ajc347

Forum GOD!
Surprisingly, even Helmut Marko is calling for changes to the way in which the stewards and race director operate. It will definitely be interesting to see how the incoming FIA president will act.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
BREAKING NEWS!!
LEWIS HAMILTON TO RETIRE!!
It has been reported he wishes to leave f1 to persue a career in music, however his request to join the group, Musical Youth, was rejected on the basis that he could not pass the dutchie on the left hand side!!