European Super League

Chelsea and Man City have reportedly bottled it and hoping to renege on the Super League organisers. If anybody doesn't need the money it's the Sheikh / Oligarch owners. The other 4 Prem clubs are each in dire straits, probably a bit more hungry for the extra dough.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Chelsea and Man City have reportedly bottled it and hoping to renege on the Super League organisers. If anybody doesn't need the money it's the Sheikh / Oligarch owners. The other 4 Prem clubs are each in dire straits, probably a bit more hungry for the extra dough.
Yup. A battle may have been fought but football supporters and the spirit of fair competition are a long stretch from winning.

The issues that led to this mess remain. The ESL was a dreadful project but it was a logical outcome of where top flight football has been headed for decades. English football has moved towards ownership models of venture/vulture capitalists competing with oil barons and oligarchs.

Really, there should have been far greater condemnation and action against clubs walking over UEFA’s attempt at FFP but, while the likes of Abramovic and Sheikh Mansour have ushered in a new era of financial doping, English football is now thirty years into this trajectory.

The scale (if not the type) of problem is no different in other European leagues. Hence the appetite for this venture from La Liga and Serie A. The cumulative affect of Covid’s impact on revenues and many of the established giants overspending on fees and wages to stay competitive with PSG, Man City etc has obviously catalysed their actions which have clearly been simmering away for a long time.

UEFA itself reeks of greed and incompetence. Their own Champions League reforms should cause almost as much uproar as the ESL breakaway has. It’s also a cartel. There needs to be a proper movement that looks deeply at changing the systems and patterns of governance within the sport. And that’s much more than just Boris hoisting himself onto a convenient bandwagon to distract attention from Greensill for a few days. But I doubt that there’s really the appetite...

Sorry - longer post than I’d intended.

Yours, a Wolverhampton Wanderers ‘legacy fan’. A club now owned by a Chinese holding company and operated with dubious links to a Portuguese super agent.

Last edited:

RSSO

Member #11
Super League is dead that's good bat I don't feel like winner, it's not closed due to protests of fans bat behind the scene political games. Also I hate that new champion league program it's total nonsense.
Hope someone capable finally get in UEFA and FIFA and start making necessary changes.