Epsilon synthetic & Epsilon extra soft synthetic

Discussion in 'Shaving Brushes' started by Nishy, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:03 PM.

1. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

As the title details, I received these two brushes today. It appears the only difference is in density. But I'm judging by eye, having not used either as yet.

(Green= extra soft)
    IMG_20190415_134137~2.jpg

2. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

Could be a trick of the eye but to me the fibres in the extra soft brush appear to have more crimps than the other brush.

3. Nishy

Dear Doctor you are spot on, just had another look at the brushes (not photo) and the extra soft is indeed more crimped. I also thought the knot was bigger but also more relaxed. Without and calipers I refrained from mentioning the above as I have no proof.

Dr Watson likes this.
  4. struttura.originaria

struttura.originaria Legendary Member

Very interested to know your thoughts on these two.

5. morr

morr Forum GOD!

Nice, very excited about your thoughts and comparison. The splay looks nice on the green one, the lack of which was my only real issue with the Epsilon that I had before.

6. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

I adore those Green handles Nishy.. Wonderful colour.

7. Nishy

It has a filter on the photo, in hand it looks more like camouflage than emerald green

Wayne likes this.
  8. Nishy

Used the green handled Epsilon extra soft:

https://www.giftsandcare.com/en/fib...ynthetic-green-shaving-brush-5026mm-knot.html

2 pass shave. Reef Point soap Karve E. This brush is more like it. Slight scritch when scrubbing or using forceful circular motions. Lovely face feel when painting. Not as polar- 'soft tips to rough middle' feel, as with Simpson's chubby 2.

Handle is small but fine for me, I have a few Epsilons with this handle. Butterscotch is gorgeous. Lather placement is precise. It doesn't over splay. It leaked a small amount of lather from the middle to the handle.

Having recently sold an AP Shave Co Synbad & Silksmoke. I didn't like the way the fibres behaved or flexed with the Silksmoke and the Synbad was too soft.

Anyway a happy customer but only one use in.

9. morr

morr Forum GOD!

Sounds good. How hard was it to splay compared to Simpsons?

10. Nishy

I will get back to you on that one.

morr likes this.
  11. Nishy

Epsilon 2 band synthetic and Epsilon 2 band synthetic extra soft (green handle):

IMG_20190415_203605~2.jpg IMG_20190415_203601~2.jpg IMG_20190415_203654~2.jpg

Quique, Mr Bigmem and ceekee like this.
  12. struttura.originaria

struttura.originaria Legendary Member

Lovely brushes !

Nishy likes this.
  13. Nishy

IMG_20190416_074624~2.jpg

Very similar characteristics. The Chubby 2 is more dense. It has slightly more backbone and slightly less splay than the Epsilon. I find the tips of the Chubby to be very slightly softer as well. However you really are looking at small differences. In addition the Chubby has been used many times, the Epsilon once, so once the knot has relaxed it may alter in character.

struttura.originaria and morr like this.
  14. morr

morr Forum GOD!

Sounds like a lovely knot. I'll wait for your impression on the other Epsilon. I'm guessing there's minimal glue bump if any at all?

15. Nishy

No glue bump to my recollection

morr likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice