Does anyone know much about changing OS on smart phones?

Grarea

Forum Plod
I have a teeny bit of knowledge..... which is basically to copy a well known method.
However, I struggle with the words. Could someone please help me out understanding a bit.
I have had a nexus 5 and a oneplus one and 3T.
I have used Ubuntu Touch, but mostly LineageOS because it is easy.
My 3T is no longer supported by Lineage, so, time to move one.
Long story short, picked up a Blackview BV9800 Pro at a decent price. It was a bit of a hurry, but all good, i was thinking I could change the OS, but, looking at the guides with more time, I think the guide is a generic one and they change the title. It makes it sound like you can, but I am not convinced.
It is not on the supported list for LineageOS.

SO.
My hope is that I can change the OS. Improve battery life, probably degoogle (to a certain extent), keep the phone running on a supported OS etc etc etc.
If it is not on an easy list, that is the end of my knowledge. Oh, also, it has an IR camera which I think causes problems.
I wondered what my options were, if any?

With LOS etc, you get a package of apps as well as the OS and so at least have a browser to go get Fdroid etc etc.
I have tried briefly to understand the words about AOSP, but I don't really get it. What does it give me?It seems to be supported, but is it just OS or is there a desktop? A browser?

The other thing I think I have seen is rooting the phone.
Now, I have done this before, but assumed it was to do with installing fresh OS.
If I can't do the above, is this at least an improvement?
Am I right in thinking if I root it, I can at least remove some of the software etc etc?

If noone knows this, would anyone know where I could go and ask these questions?

Thanks.

Zorro

Forum GOD!
Rooting any Unix based device simply unlocks the root user account, which is the Superuser / Admin account.

This allows you to do anything with the device, as the root account is usually locked by default to stop you fiddling with the system too much.

Unlocking the root account is usually the first step in loading a new system image or installing apps that need more authority than standard, to make deep changes to the system.

Phone and tablet OS's are usually a preconfigured single image file. You get root access, then copy the entire image across to over-write the one that's already on there, which then gives you the new OS or new build of the existing OS.

You need an image that is specifically made for that device and to also be aware that once its done, the original OS is wiped and gone forever, unless you have a backup copy

Grarea

Forum Plod
Thank you for this. That makes sense. So, for me, in an ideal world, I would install LineageOS, or something similar.
It is not listed on their supported list. I have seen giudes, but they get vague when it states 'download ROM', with a bunch of searching I realised XDA forum and searches on there as well has revealed some progress made on this phone, but I haven't found any that successfully use the IR camera as well.

So, I assume that if AOSP (which I don't understand yet, I need to look into it for the future) worked, this would have been mentioned somewhere.
So that leaves me with a potentially unsupported OS, right?
This isn't the end of the world at the price I paid. I might just keep it as a cheap IR camera. It will save itself back next winter, plus I dabble a bit with electronics where it is fun. Also, I will be able to lend it to people to test their homes as well.

So, that just leaves me with rooting my phone. I am used to (on a very basic level) using Linux on pc and pi, and am used to being allowed to do what I want with my stuff :)
So, that is my next search, try and find advice as to what I can and can't remove and what the benefits might be. Mainly battery usage I am thinking.

Thanks again, that helped loads.

Zorro

Forum GOD!
When people create OS / ROM images for devices, the problem is often device drivers. You can put Ubuntu, for instance, on many laptops but then find the webcam doesnt work, or the card reader or something. The device manufacturers spend a lot of time making sure the integrated hardware devices have drivers that properly integrate it with the operating system

Same thing can happen when trying to bump the OS on a laptop up several generations - you just dont get modern device drivers for older hardware, so Windows itself might work, but a lot of other stuff doesnt , because it try's to use the generic drivers that come with the OS