Czeck & Speake No.88 Pre Order

vtmax

Forum GOD!
And I just got this email today from Bullgoose:

“We received a shipment from Czech & Speake this week and were informed that these are the very last pucks of the Valobra made Czech & Speake No. 88 shave soap. In a week or two, we should receive our first shipment of the new formulation.”

What a saga.

Doti B

Guru

“We received a shipment from Czech & Speake this week and were informed that these are the very last pucks of the Valobra made Czech & Speake No. 88 shave soap. In a week or two, we should receive our first shipment of the new formulation.”

What a saga.
By the look of it they’ve been lucky as the reviews of the new version are should I say pants

Dr Watson

James

What a saga.
Tell Phil to cancel it, quick! 😬

p.b

Forum GOD!
Here’s a quick update, Phil at Bullgoose said that the ingredient list of the new soaps was identical to the Valobra-made soap. Maybe they didn’t update the list or maybe someone else is making an identical soap? I’ll post images when I get the new soap.

Edit: I found Phil’s image.

View attachment 93087

What a saga.
So Steve's new puck IS Valobra, not a new one in an old Valobra box...?

Steve56

Legendary Member
So Steve's new puck IS Valobra, not a new one in an old Valobra box...?
Stranger and stranger. I received the same email. I can guarantee you that the ‘new’ soap that I used is not the same soap as vintage Valobra/C&S/AoS. It may be made by Valobra, but it is not the same soap.

Steve56

Legendary Member
The response from Phil:

Hello Steve:

Czech and Speake now utilizes a US Distributor called the King and I. In any case, this is what Christopher Dunn of C&S wrote to Bauni King in response to my concern about the soap.

“Hi Bauni,

Thank you for your email.

This will be one of the last of the old soaps from Italy. If you remember, we found you the last 30 units I think and you have not yet had a delivery of the new version – these will be with you later this week.

The new formulation is superior to the old soap from Italy. It is far more moisturising.

I honestly don't know what is going on. The soap that I have is not the new formulation (which I believe is made in England). I mainly use Oxford and Cambridge but the one puck of No. 88 that I used several years ago did not lather nearly as well as my Oxford and Cambridge. Could it be that there was a bad batch? I'm just throwing out ideas as I don't know. I just don't think a company as large as Czech & Speake would be untruthful regarding ingredients and origin. They just have too much to lose.“

Additionally, Phil writes:

’I have forwarded your email to both Christopher Dunn and Bauni King. I also will take a puck home to see if I have any luck with it.

I really hate it when a company reformulates a soap. It always creates confusion and doubt. I will definitely ask or a sample puck of the new formulation before I decide whether or not to carry it. The last thing I need is another Trumper situation.

Thanks again for the heads-up.’

And a thank you to Phil for following up.

So maybe a bad batch? Iit does happen, there was a bad batch of Eufros a few years ago, bad coconut oil I believe.

Steve56

Legendary Member
Gentlemen,

Here is a missive from Phil at Bullgoose. Apparently many of us were correct, this is the new soap in an old box! Phil will be sending out refunds. Compliments to Phil for digging into this anomaly and doing the right thing.

Dear Steve,
In mid May, we received a shipment of No. 88 shaving soap from the Czech & Speake distributor in Massachusetts. Upon unpacking the soap, I noticed that the boxes were stamped Made in Italy and the ingredients were the same as what we had always enjoyed. Above is a picture of one of the boxes with the ingredient list and the made in Italy Stamp.

About a week or so after I listed them for sale, I received an email from a good customer who had a concern with his soap. The color was off and it failed to produce a decent lather. At this point, I emailed Czech & Speake as well as the distributor. Czech & Speake told the distributor that they had dug up some of the old soap from Italy and that this was the last of the NOS soap.

A few days after that claim by Czech & Speake, a customer sent me a comparison photo of an actual NOS soap that he had in his stash next to one of the soaps that Czech & Speake "managed to dig up".

I forwarded the comparison photo to Czech & Speake through the distributor. When the Czech & Speake representative received this photo, he said that it was actually the new soap (Made in England) and that the made in Italy stamp was an oversight. However, he went on to claim that the ingredients listed on the box were correct and that Czech & Speake kept the formula for the soap exactly the same as it has always been. The only problem is this is also not true.

Here are the ingredients of the new soap as listed on the Czech & Speake UK website:

Sodium Palmate, Sodium Tallowate, Aqua (Water), Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Parfum (Fragrance), Lecithin, Petrolatum, Zea Mays Oil, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Geraniol, Linalool, Citronellol, Hydroxy Citronellal, Limonene, Oakmoss Absolute, C.I. 77499, C.I. 17789

As you can see, not only are the ingredients not the same, the very first ingredient is different. The soaps are not even close to being the same.

Once I get things sorted out with Czech & Speake, refunds will be issued for No. 88 shave soaps purchased between May 28th and June 10th. Please give me a couple of days.​

SeanC

Forum GOD!
C&S should have actually stepped up at first instance of acknowledging the goof up but they manage to come across as complete business noobs when they insisted it is the same formula.
I'm actually wondering whether they even bothered to test it?

The ironic thing is that Culmak one of the few remaining decent hard shaving soap manufacturers is on their doorstep right here in the UK

HereticHermit

Legendary Member
I'm actually wondering whether they even bothered to test it?

The ironic thing is that Culmak one of the few remaining decent hard shaving soap manufacturers is on their doorstep right here in the UK
I have admit it before that I was not a convert even with their now NOS soaps. For lesser money there are far better soaps out there but new formulation comes across as appalling QC and deathwish all rolled into destruction of brand reputation. There is also inflated corporate ego at play. BlackBerry was similarly full of it and look where they are now. C&S just trying to ride the hype train without brining innovation and letting the old bar slip. Surest recipe of disaster.