Creams vs soaps

Do you prefer Shave cream or Shave soap ?

• Total voters

Scubasteve

Hello please excuse me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum! It's a soap and a cream question so putting here.

So as mentioned new here I've tried a prorasso shave soap and rockwell soap. This is what I've found locally.

I've also found some great shave creams and have read creams are best for beginners.

I have found some great shave creams! That I prefer way over the soaps I've tried!

What is everyone a experience creams vs soaps? Which do you prefer?
Is it a matter of finding some better quality soaps?

I do like the performance of the creams however I do prefer the nostalgia of the shave soap.

Do you find the soap or cream to be less drying on the skin? Which gives you less irritation

If you have any fav creams or soaps please mention one or two.

When I say shave cream I am talking about the tub, tin or tube....not the aerosol from the grocery store :)

brit

Forum GOD!
i like them all
soap-- klar seifen ,saponificio varesino,pre de provence.
cream--tobs,truefitt and hill,proraso single edge.
croap--barrister and mann,stirling,arianna and evans..

FRFC1908

Kakkerlak till I die!
I have not tried shaving cream yet , but next week we go to germany to shop some groceries and the have a small assortment of shaving creams there , for a much cheaper price than the netherlands , so I will pick up some of them there :)

FenderMan

Forum GOD!
I use both. I tend to use soaps more. Maybe because I have more of them. Maybe because I feel less accomplished lathering up a cream. For what it’s worth, my favorite creams are TOBS Grapefruit, Old Spice Fresh Lime, and Palmolive Classic.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I generally prefer the superior (imho) performance of soaps, however creams come into their own whilst travelling or when I'm on an early start and using a cartridge half asleep due to ease of use (almost as simple as canned goo, but infinitely better)

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I've only held on to a couple of creams, which I will replace but this game is expensive enough and with a bit of effort, the cheaper option soap, lathers as well as cream and post shave as a rule is better imo.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Link from Fitjar Islands - far better than any response I would add.

I do enjoy the variety of scents with soaps and process (unless really late). I also enjoy my Fitjar Island creams.
Couldn't agree more with the link to what Fitjars had to say. I use both soaps and creams with pleasure. The creams are a little easier to get a good lather from when starting out while the hard puck soaps need a bit of learning the right technique to making a good lather with them. Nothing but nothing beats a shave stick for travel as far as I'm concerned. They take up less room that a tub or tub and there is no chance of leaking.

Bob

D

Deleted member 1881

The best soap vs the best cream cannot be comparable..

The lather of most creams is not super dense no matter what. But some of them are super slick and easy to lather.

S

Steve Bowles

You're not going to find any mad soaps or creams these days. Having said that, stay away from anything in a blue bowl that says 'Wilkinson Sword'. Your technique for lathering will take a while to mature. Just have fun, and remember everything having to do with this hobby is purely subjective.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I prefer soaps but couldn't honestly say they were better than creams as such, although soaps do last longer. Favourites include P&B and Speick. Speick also do a cream but I've not tried it.

R181

Grumpy old man
You're not going to find any mad soaps or creams these days. Having said that, stay away from anything in a blue bowl that says 'Wilkinson Sword'. Your technique for lathering will take a while to mature. Just have fun, and remember everything having to do with this hobby is purely subjective.
Yes, purely subjective for sure. As an example I get along just fine with the Wilkinson blue bowl shave soap.

Bob

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I use both. I started out using only creams because I felt a cream would be quicker, which it sort of is. No need to load the brush. Just put a dollop in the bowl and work it into a lather. Then I decided to try a soap and really loved how it felt. That led to me buying lots of soaps. I sort of alternate between soaps and creams based upon any time constraints I may be facing that morning or my mood. I suppose if I was told I could only have soaps or creams and had to pick only one I would go with soap. I also seem to gravitate to the tallow based soaps. So slick.