Covid-19 deaths, Pensions, and booking a holiday

Wayne

Forum Sod
The problem isn't holiday makers and Youth. The problem is the bloody internet. Too many sites such as Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook are flooded with anti Vax and anti Lockdown posts from people with political bias and their own interests at heart. They know what they are doing, many of these posts start in, shall I say, unfriendly Countries and gulliable people believe them then spread them further. It's how Presidents are elected.

Steve

Boomer Member
The problem isn't holiday makers and Youth. The problem is the bloody internet. Too many sites such as Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook are flooded with anti Vax and anti Lockdown posts from people with political bias and their own interests at heart. They know what they are doing, many of these posts start in, shall I say, unfriendly Countries and gulliable people believe them then spread them further. It's how Presidents are elected.
Just one more reason to regulate these bloody social media sites. And, just to be clear, the social media sites may be part of the problem, but you cannot excuse holiday makers and pub crawlers.

Steve

Boomer Member
Of the 26,000 National Guard troops sent to Washington for a show of force, over 100 have tested positive for Covid. More to follow.

Wayne

Forum Sod
Just one more reason to regulate these bloody social media sites. And, just to be clear, the social media sites may be part of the problem, but you cannot excuse holiday makers and pub crawlers.
They wouldn't be doing it if the socail media sites were not telling them to rebel. A look through Twitter will soon convince you of the amount of anti Gov sentiment on there. Plenty of people willing to tell people to rise up and rebel against the Gov and it's decisions. They, of course stay well away from all the trouble they cause.

Steve

Boomer Member
They wouldn't be doing it if the socail media sites were not telling them to rebel. A look through Twitter will soon convince you of the amount of anti Gov sentiment on there. Plenty of people willing to tell people to rise up and rebel against the Gov and it's decisions. They, of course stay well away from all the trouble they cause.
I keep telling my 66-year old wife, a fervent Twitter user, that Twitter is for 16-year old mean girls. Nothing but trolls and idiots.

R181

Grumpy old man
People seem to be unable or unwilling to do critical thinking concerning what they read or hear anymore. Social media has the potential to do great good or great evil depending who is using it and how those reading it interpret it.

Bob

Wayne

Forum Sod
People seem to be unable or unwilling to do critical thinking concerning what they read or hear anymore. Social media has the potential to do great good or great evil depending who is using it and how those reading it interpret it.

Bob
You are right. There is no middle ground anymore. I notice that this forum has changed in the last year, it used to be a happy, jolly place where Men that enjoy Wet Shaving got together in a virtual Clubhouse and discussed their ideas and shared their knowledge. It may be because of peoples frustrations or it may just be the shifting of peoples stances on lots of lifes subjects. Tempers do seem to be frayed at the moment.

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
Of the 26,000 National Guard troops sent to Washington for a show of force, over 100 have tested positive for Covid. More to follow.
I don’t see any point to this comment. Is this just a random factoid of the day? People are testing positive for COVID-19 everywhere.

Charcoal

Soothsayer of the Obscure
You are right. There is no middle ground anymore. I notice that this forum has changed in the last year, it used to be a happy, jolly place where Men that enjoy Wet Shaving got together in a virtual Clubhouse and discussed their ideas and shared their knowledge. It may be because of peoples frustrations or it may just be the shifting of peoples stances on lots of lifes subjects. Tempers do seem to be frayed at the moment.
I’m sorry you feel this way. I do not. My perspective on things has become increasingly acceptable in recent days. Over the past few years more and more people appear to be shifting to a more open and compassionate way of life without reservation.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I’m sorry you feel this way. I do not. My perspective on things has become increasingly acceptable in recent days. Over the past few years more and more people appear to be shifting to a more open and compassionate way of life without reservation.
Good for you! Go for it,

Steve

Boomer Member
Sorry. I just threw up a little in my mouth. :yuck:

p.b

Forum GOD!
some perspective on the new more deadly stain:
it MIGHT be 30% more fatal. The first example on R4 this morning was that a 60 year old man has a 1% chance of dying if he contracts COVID-19, this would then increase to 1.3% IF this is indeed 30% more fatal. It's much worse news for a 90 year old man who has (and this is from memory) a 30% chance of dying from COVID-19, this increases to 40%. For a man in their 20s who has (again from memory) a 0.1% chance of dying it'll be 0.13%.

Steve

Boomer Member
One of the reasons for the irrationality, and irritableness of people is the waiting, and waiting for the letter to get their vaccinations. At first, the NHS website said that my age group, with underlying conditions, would have their jabs by the end of January. That has changed to 'should have their first jab by mid-February, and no telling when you'll get the second jab.' This is Russian Roulette on a scale never seen before. It's hard to have confidence in 'following the science' when it becomes a postcode lottery.

Wayne

Forum Sod
One of the reasons for the irrationality, and irritableness of people is the waiting, and waiting for the letter to get their vaccinations. At first, the NHS website said that my age group, with underlying conditions, would have their jabs by the end of January. That has changed to 'should have their first jab by mid-February, and no telling when you'll get the second jab.' This is Russian Roulette on a scale never seen before. It's hard to have confidence in 'following the science' when it becomes a postcode lottery.
The whole World is after this vaccine, well apart from the anti vaxxers of course, and there just are not the facilities to make them fast enough, and get it into arms fast enough. There are a lot of people on this planet and to give everyone, apart from anti vaxxers, two doses is going to take a very long time. My Wife, a Nurse had her first one on Thurs, I do not anticipate mine until around may-June at the earliest.