Pass Around Coming soon - Tatara titanium pass around (Masamune/Nodachi)

Cheekee

Forum GOD!
20221022_205814.jpg

1st shave.

Tatara Masamune topcap and open comb baseplate
Rapira platinum lux blade
Grooming dept pre shave
Ariana and Evans Dos Dalagas Barbera set
Alpha ukwss brush
Captains choice obsidian copper shaving bowl.

Razor feels a lovely weight. Has that feeling of being nimble. Blade installed easily and screwed down without fuss. Was disappointed to see the blade tabs protruding either side which I wasn't expecting for a razor of this price point. Not having used a Stainless massmune or nodachi I don't know if its the same. My muramasa doesn't have any protrusion.

The shave was great at first but I realised I needed more strokes to reduce the 2 days growth I had. It's a light razor which may well have had something to do with it. A bbs result was achieved mostly. The open comb helped the lather remain throughout the pass.

Next shave I will try a more efficient combination of base plate and topcap.

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
Hi Matt,
If the pass-around is still open, even though I have been trying to reduce the collection and keep the Tatara's out of the equation, I would like to take part, I have been looking at all of the Tatara options lately.
The pass-around will help/tip me either way.

1. Holyzeus
2. SeanC
3. sɐǝɹpu∀
4. LeeMaz
5. jphelan81
6. semajohn
7. p.b
8. art101980
9. Cheekee
10. Crossan
11. wooky114
12. slapo
13. Mike Smart
14. Sig Solo
15. Satanfriendly (TSR)
16. Garethtoogood (TSR)
17. bagman
18. Nishy
19. hdb3326 (TSR)
20. Tony'schin (ATG/TSR)
Thank you.

Tonyschin

Pogonotomist
No problem Tony. Pass around is still open 👍

Probably won't help with reducing the razor collection
I know Matt, that's what I am worried about, I just cannot help myself though, as I say , it's a lot cheaper than some of my other hobbies I "had". At least this Pogonotomy malarkey I want (not have) to do, however, I can do it mainly without leaving my house, which is a bonus - I think :hyper: :confused::giggle:
Thanks again,
T

Cheekee

Forum GOD!
20221025_224448.jpg

2nd shave

Tatara Nodachi titanium open comb
Razolution blade
Grooming dept pre shave
Wholly kaw King of oud set
Simpsons T3 special edition brush
Captains choice obsidian copper shaving bowl

2 days growth.

The titanium nodachi certainly increases the efficiency from the massmune. Less strokes to achieve a beard reduction. I enjoyed this more. However the nodachi has the same blade tab protrusion that the massmune has and although I have used razors that have this before, its more pronounced in these and I have almost nicked my right ear on both shaves. So far I still prefer my maramusa, but lordy a titanium one of those would be a lot of money when they are finally released properly.

So far I think these are beautifully light and nimble razors, but having other titanium offerings myself, there is nothing yet making me want to purchase one. The blade tab protrusion spoils it for me.

Last edited:

Cheekee

Forum GOD!
I don't know why, but the insert picture icon is blanked out.

Anyway

Setup is.

Tatara Nodachi titanium topcap and baseplate SB
Gillette nacet blade
Grooming dept pre shave
Grooming dept English Lavender soap
Oumo titanium brush
Captains choice obsidian copper shaving bowl

This is my favourite setup for sure. Smooth and efficient combination. Just a lovely shave.

Again wish the blade tabs didnt protrude so much.

Attachments

Cheekee

Forum GOD!
Received safe and sound, I'll be going from the bottom to the extreme, midway then whichever way feels right.

Thank you again for the opportunity to give it a try!
The razor left set up in the main box is the nodachi topcap and baseplate (OC)

Crossan

Forum GOD!
Two for One

It arrived just in time for yesterday's shave so managed to get the mas/mas SB tried and the nod/nod OC today. I'll be sticking to my standard two pass (WTG/ATG) that's my routine as standard but I won't be keeping the setup the same throughout, I have enough scientific experimentation at work without it expanding to my 'me' time.

Day 1 Masamune Cap/Masamune SB
20221112_113813.jpg

I was a little apprehensive with using titanium as my only experience was with the R41 and I did not get on with it (despite being a fan of the 41) but it was actually really good, light but I didn't feel like I had to stick my shoulder into it to get it cutting.

This combination was surprisingly efficient and ridiculously smooth running. As I expected the smooth finish didn't last as long as I get with my normal go to DE razors (for context Blackbird, Dart, Karve E, CG 3, WR2 1.25) but good.

Day 2 Nodachi Cap/Nodachi OC
20221112_153914.jpg

For today I thought I'd go to the other end of the spectrum. Immediate impression was that it was nowhere near as smooth running, to the point where it actually felt a little rough. Don't get me wrong I still ended up with a very smooth finish and no irritation, but the experience itself wasn't all that pleasant.

Obviously I don't know yet whether that was down to the gap/exposure or the OC or perhaps me being cack-handed. Though saying that I haven't met that many OC's that I get on with.

As I understand it the gap/exposure is the same with the nodachi SB so I can at least eliminate two of the three factors tomorrow when I give that a try with the nodachi cap, there's no getting rid of my ineptitude.

That's enough of a Sunday ramble and this is obviously one man's ill-educated and unsolicited opinion, so please take it with a bucket full of salt!

Cheers

Marc

Crossan

Forum GOD!
Another 3 combinations down, the OC in either Masamune or Nodachi flavour is not for me. The SB is a lot smoother from my use, I'll try the Masamune Cap and Nodachi SB but I have a feeling the Nodachi Cap with either the Masamune or Nodachi SB might be more my speed. So after this next one I'll probably give those another try each before getting it ready to move.

Cheers

Marc

Nodachi Cap/Nodachi SB
20221113_102333.jpg

Nodachi Cap/Masamune OC @Boycie83 nice brush, thank you and the emporium!
20221115_131308.jpg

Nodachi Cap/Masamune SB - this one was a pleasant surprise, I usually go more blade forward
20221115_131411-01.jpeg

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Another 3 combinations down, the OC in either Masamune or Nodachi flavour is not for me. The SB is a lot smoother from my use, I'll try the Masamune Cap and Nodachi SB but I have a feeling the Nodachi Cap with either the Masamune or Nodachi SB might be more my speed. So after this next one I'll probably give those another try each before getting it ready to move.

Cheers

Marc

Nodachi Cap/Nodachi SB
View attachment 124516

Nodachi Cap/Masamune OC @Boycie83 nice brush, thank you and the emporium!
View attachment 124517

Nodachi Cap/Masamune SB - this one was a pleasant surprise, I usually go more blade forward
View attachment 124518
From reading your thoughts I have a feeling the Masamune Cap with Nodachi SB might be your combo

Crossan

Forum GOD!
From reading your thoughts I have a feeling the Masamune Cap with Nodachi SB might be your combo
Ok excellent, we'll see how it plays tomorrow. Throughout all of it I'm most shocked that I actually like the weight. Usually I go for beefier options, but I'm actually getting on with it quite nicely.