Colds, flu and other viruses

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Everything right now is Covid, but what about other viruses? Three members of my family including me have had a 48hr virus. You wake up shivering in the night, next day a temperature of 38°, feel completely weak and washed out and spend 2 days in bed. No symptoms except for a mild neck ache and headache. No sneezing or cough. After 2 days it seems to go away. No idea what this is.

Anyone else have experience of "other" viruses?

Wayne

Forum Sod
Covid is known to be mild in the majority of cases if you are otherwise fit and healthy just like other Corona viruses. It may well have been Covid. If you do not get tested you will never know.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Covid is known to be mild in the majority of cases if you are otherwise fit and healthy just like other Corona viruses. It may well have been Covid. If you do not get tested you will never know.
We all had Covid type symptoms before it supposedly was here, my wife’s colleague had same symptoms as did a few of her colleagues. Wife’s colleague was anti body tested, Came back positive for anti bodies, Mrs Northam along with colleagues tested negative. False negs ? Not knowing enough still about Covid ? Good enough testing ? Who knows !

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I've read a few things about how Covid was in France and Italy before it "appeared" in March. I think it said people had it in December. I suppose more antibody testing will tell us more on this.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I’ve had plenty of experience of other viruses over the last 45 years, especially the last six with a child in the house.
Blimey, yes ! I worked in two primary schools, two weeks into each job at each school and caught some nasty bugs. Kids are traps for this, all down to poor hygiene I’m afraid. No fault of parenting, kids are just kids, last thing they have on their mind is washing hands. One place there was a bug doing its rounds and not going around. So I did some real DEEP cleaning concentrating around the loos and bringing in hospital grade cleaning products. That stopped it !

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I’m asking as I believe I had it but without testing, who knows. I had a long list of symptoms but the two main Covid ones weren’t severe enough for me to initially diagnose myself

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Antibody testing isn't accurate enough yet, according to the doctors I know. It may be that a positive result will be pretty accurate, but a negative result may be questionable. You need to wait 10 days at least for the test to actually detect antibodies.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Antibody testing isn't accurate enough yet, according to the doctors I know. It may be that a positive result will be pretty accurate, but a negative result may be questionable. You need to wait 10 days at least for the test to actually detect antibodies.
Mrs Saint is NHS frontline and it was a NHS test, but like you say the negative accuracy is in question.

Dave-the-rave

Forum GOD!
I’m asking as I believe I had it but without testing, who knows. I had a long list of symptoms but the two main Covid ones weren’t severe enough for me to initially diagnose myself
An anti body test won't reveal when the individual had Covid19. So imagine the OP gets tested next week with a positive result. He might conclude this thing this week was 'The virus'. He might have had 'The virus' two months ago though with no symptoms, and this thing this week was the flu. D'ya get me?

Same with anyone believing they had it in December or the like. Getting tested now will not prove that. They may have had it last week with no symptoms, and the December thing was flu or some such.

We would all like definitive answers, that's normal. We won't necessarily get them though.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
You can’t prove a negative so no test will be 100% accurate both ways.

I had my test last week expect the results in a few days.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
An anti body test won't reveal when the individual had Covid19. So imagine the OP gets tested next week with a positive result. He might conclude this thing this week was 'The virus'. He might have had 'The virus' two months ago though with no symptoms, and this thing this week was the flu. D'ya get me?
Didn’t need to “get me?” I’m not stupid