Climate Change......

R181

Grumpy old man
Almost slipped my mind, what I have left of it, that the use of the term Echo Terrorist is about as self serving and disingenuous as the term Oil Sands is. I doubt those using it have had first hand experience with a real terrorist organisation and their methods. They are a far cry from the vast majority of environmental groups and their methods.

Bob

TobyC

Patriot
Either you're a terrorist or you're not, it's like being pregnant, you can't be just a little knocked up.

R181

Grumpy old man
Either you're a terrorist or you're not, it's like being pregnant, you can't be just a little knocked up.
Certainly, you can't be just a little knocked. The condition of being pregnant is very narrowly defined. The term terrorist has been so loosely defined as to cover people and organisations that in normal times would not even be looked at in that way. I mean really, Greta Thunberg, the Sierra Club and many other environmental activists and groups labelled as terrorists? That is like thinking about becoming pregnant qualifies as being pregnant.

It is the extremists of any movement that fit the definition of being terrorists and not all people in that movement who use peaceful means to promote that movement.

Bob

TobyC

Patriot
It's when you start hurting people and breaking things in a planned and organized fashion, or at least that's when I apply the label.

R181

Grumpy old man
It's when you start hurting people and breaking things in a planned and organized fashion, or at least that's when I apply the label.
Now that is a much narrower definition of eco terrorism that fits the norm of what terrorism is and I'd go along with that. In common use eco terrorism has been used to cover in a blanket fashion most all environmentalists and environmental organisations.

To add to the confusion there is always the old saying that "one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" but that is another can of worms.

Bob

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I mean if you take the definition:
"It's when you start hurting people and breaking things in a planned and organized fashion, or at least that's when I apply the label."
Then most governments especially the big one have been and in many cases are guilty of that.
Thanks for pointing that out - it's true on so many levels from police brutality against individuals and crowds through political assassinations to ethnic cleansing. It's still all going on everywhere.

I think it's worth pointing out the central concern of "eco warriors" or however you define them is that human life matters. If climate change is not addressed then "law and order" will be irrelevant, since there won't be much human life to order, and civilisations will have broken down long before that happens.