Christmas food

Boru62

Shaving Boar
We've turkey crown, gammon and beef with roast spuds, parsnips and carrots, mashed turnip (swede), brussels, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire's, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, sausage meat sage and onion stuffing and gravy with a teaspoon of horseradish.
Looking at it now it's ridiculous.

Last edited:

Wayne

Forum Sod
We've turkey crown, gammon and beef with roast spuds, parsnips and carrots, mashed turnip (swede), brussels, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire's, bread sauce, cranberry sauce, sausage meat sage and onion stuffing and gravy with a teaspoon of horseradish.
Looking at it now it ridiculous.
Turnip is different to Swede mate.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Traditional Yorkshire Christmas dinner for me. No offence but I don't do Cockney stuff. So I'm having Turkey, Roast and Mashed Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding, Sprouts, Carrots, Parsnips, Sage and Onion Stuffing and thick Gravy I don't do Jus,I have no idea what a Pig in a blanket is, I've never had Bread Sauce though I have seen something similar on the pavement outside a pub on Boxing Day. Pudding is Traditional Christmas Pudding and Custard I hate it, so does the Wife but it's Chrimbo so it's Chrimbo Pudding....I'm not having Creme Anglaise, it's Custard, then copious amounts of alcohlol before eventually collapsing in a festive heap before Morcombe and Wise. Now that is Christmas Yorkie Style.
Cockney stuff?
I’m a Cockney and haven’t a clue what you’re on about

halvor

a most elusive fish
Depends on where you're from. We call the large purple/yellow one turnip, others call it a Swedish turnip, over time shortened to Swede.
What do you call the white and purple one, then? Apparently there are both white and yellow fleshed versions of both turnip and swede (or rutabaga, as them across has it), to make matters worse. In Norwegian we call swede kålrabi, pronounced just like kohlrabi, which we call knutekål (knot cabbage). And what’s a neep? Ooh, my head hurts.

Boru62

Shaving Boar
What do you call the white and purple one, then? Apparently there are both white and yellow fleshed versions of both turnip and swede (or rutabaga, as them across has it), to make matters worse. In Norwegian we call swede kålrabi, pronounced just like kohlrabi, which we call knutekål (knot cabbage). And what’s a neep? Ooh, my head hurts.
I've never eaten the white one, it's fed to the cattle.
Turnip (swede) is a cross between turnip (fodder) and cabbage which may be why you call it kålrabi.
Neeps is colloquial Scots for turnips (swedes). I assume they took nips of the end and changed it to neeps.
Got any aspirin?
Edit: Don't muddy the waters Halvor, white fleshed swedes? Without the capital letter?
Got anything stronger than aspirin?

Last edited:

Chief Brody

Forum GOD!
Traditional Yorkshire Christmas dinner for me. No offence but I don't do Cockney stuff. So I'm having Turkey, Roast and Mashed Potatoes, Yorkshire Pudding, Sprouts, Carrots, Parsnips, Sage and Onion Stuffing and thick Gravy I don't do Jus,I have no idea what a Pig in a blanket is, I've never had Bread Sauce though I have seen something similar on the pavement outside a pub on Boxing Day. Pudding is Traditional Christmas Pudding and Custard I hate it, so does the Wife but it's Chrimbo so it's Chrimbo Pudding....I'm not having Creme Anglaise, it's Custard, then copious amounts of alcohlol before eventually collapsing in a festive heap before Morcombe and Wise. Now that is Christmas Yorkie Style.
From one Yorkshire Man to another - you need pigs in blankets, in your life. Thank me later.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
I do like a bit of pork belly every now and then!

For us, we're having a traditional Stokie breakfast (bacon and cheese oatcakes), with the main dinner being Turkey, Beef and Gammon, with seasonal vegetables, Yorkie puds and the usual gravy.

Boxing day morning breakfast will be bubble!
Just wish I had some oatcakes to have with my Xmas breakfast

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
There's nowt cockney about pigs in blankets, we've been eating them in Manchester for donkey's. We're having turkey this year, we don't usually owing largely to my memories of it being like trying to eat sawdust but the Mrs insisted especially as the pack of Christmas meat coming from the butcher includes a turkey crown, which is a bit of a bugger as the legs are the best bit. :/