Chinese Feather clones

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I've slept on this topic overnight. At least from my recent experiences with this thread, I have two opinions. Yes, just an opinion.

If you design something, you should be the one to benefit. I do not like Lamy pen clones or Feather clones, but that's just my choice. There are other shavettes that are branded and inexpensive.

For me a shavette more resembles a straight razor than any other type of razor and should be considered such. I used the Feather SS as a gateway for using a straight razor successfully. Not everyone wants to hone and collect rocks, but they want the SR aka unguarded blade experience.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Avnish, I think they should be a stand-alone razor just like the DE and SE, I just don't see them as part of a dedicated straight razor section.
I will agree with you that the shavette is different for more than one reason. A shavette is less forgiving and has a smaller cutting surface.

I've said this before on more than a few threads, straight razor users have an opportunity to encourage others to consider an unguarded edge. And, not everyone wants to invest in honing kits. IMHO, a SR user can either be inviting or exclusive. I prefer the latter option.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
I will agree with you that the shavette is different for more than one reason. A shavette is less forgiving and has a smaller cutting surface.

I've said this before on more than a few threads, straight razor users have an opportunity to encourage others to consider an unguarded edge. And, not everyone wants to invest in honing kits. IMHO, a SR user can either be inviting or exclusive. I prefer the latter option.
The shavette is a different animal, It should be a stand-alone razor with its own section, it's tucked away in the straight razor section, I don't see the point in it being here to be perfectly honest.

Estariol

Forum GOD!
I'd like to see some of these clones on the shavette SOTD thread.
Sorry, i simply don't have the habit of taking my phone to the bathroom... :cool:

Anyway... Since this clone is my only shavette, it's only fair to write about the experience here. I watched a straight shaving tutorial video by Lynn Abrams yesterday, and when talking about shavettes, he mentioned that a bit steeper angle can be used with them, and when he turned to straight razors, he said that in essence, the best angle is when the spine of the razor is about it's own width away from the skin. I scratched my head a bit, 'cause according to my logic, a shavette can only be more prone to dig the blade in with a steeper angle to the skin (right?). So i used the straight razor angle he recommended, which, with this and other similar razors, IS a bit steeper than it would be with a straight. And it worked perfectly: 3 passes, full BBS, and ZEEERO iritation. Honestly, i can't accept the idea that i improved my technique that much after only four shaves. The third one gave me a bit of iritation, but that's because, not knowing about the above mentioned pointers, i wasn't careful with the angle as this time.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Sorry, i simply don't have the habit of taking my phone to the bathroom... :cool:

Anyway... Since this clone is my only shavette, it's only fair to write about the experience here. I watched a straight shaving tutorial video by Lynn Abrams yesterday, and when talking about shavettes, he mentioned that a bit steeper angle can be used with them, and when he turned to straight razors, he said that in essence, the best angle is when the spine of the razor is about it's own width away from the skin. I scratched my head a bit, 'cause according to my logic, a shavette can only be more prone to dig the blade in with a steeper angle to the skin (right?). So i used the straight razor angle he recommended, which, with this and other similar razors, IS a bit steeper than it would be with a straight. And it worked perfectly: 3 passes, full BBS, and ZEEERO iritation. Honestly, i can't accept the idea that i improved my technique that much after only four shaves. The third one gave me a bit of iritation, but that's because, not knowing about the above mentioned pointers, i wasn't careful with the angle as this time.
I use the Feather or any of my straight razors the same for a WTG/ATG and get the same result.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
Inspired by this thread I gave up hoping I would get a green Feather SS for a non-ridiculous price and I ordered a Univinlions from AliExpress.
It arrived today and it came with some blades. The quality looks OK, but it is not green. Well... for the price...

A question for those of you gents who have one of those razors as well:

Are the included blades any good, or should I try and locate my Feather Pro-Guard blades instead?
I'll sooner or later try the included blades, but are they a good benchmark for shave #1?

Geordieboy

Über Member
Inspired by this thread I gave up hoping I would get a green Feather SS for a non-ridiculous price and I ordered a Univinlions from AliExpress.
It arrived today and it came with some blades. The quality looks OK, but it is not green. Well... for the price...

A question for those of you gents who have one of those razors as well:

Are the included blades any good, or should I try and locate my Feather Pro-Guard blades instead?
I'll sooner or later try the included blades, but are they a good benchmark for shave #1?
Xi Jin PIng has altered the blades so that they cut across the throat of Occidentals. Get the Pro Guards!

Estariol

Forum GOD!
Untill someone who actually tried them answers, i hope this sheds some light:
As far as i've read on other forums, they're not well regarded, described as a bit less sharp and managing up to 5 shaves. That's why i've bought the razor only and ordered AC samples from elsewhere.

slapo

It's... alive!
@sɐǝɹpu∀ & @Estariol I've tried them, and they're rather underwhelming. I think the few I've tried so far I'd tossed after the first shave, because it seemed to me they were on their last leg already.
Having said that, I hadn't done a side by side with another blade in the same shave, so perhaps my facial hair was just being uncooperative during those shaves.

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
@sɐǝɹpu∀ & @Estariol I've tried them, and they're rather underwhelming. I think the few I've tried so far I'd tossed after the first shave, because it seemed to me they were on their last leg already.
Having said that, I hadn't done a side by side with another blade in the same shave, so perhaps my facial hair was just being uncooperative during those shaves.
I tried them as well....not good. Almost a use once and bin blade....unless you prefer to drag out the stubble rather than cut it!