Cheap Smartphone

Grarea

Forum Plod
Is there such a thing?
One that is worth having?

My mum has had a simple phone all this time but is interested now in getting a smartphone to do some basic stuff when away from home.
Simple stuff. Emails, little bit of internet searching. Being able to connect to wifi when out and about. Whatsapp.

Her current one is technically a smartphone. However, she put whatsapp on it and it slowed right down.
Turns out it only has 4gb storage and 512mb ram.

I generally buy used and take a punt with half an eye to swapping bits or OS or something.
I think she would like new.
But, they are not as cheap as I was expecting.
So, I am wondering what sort of cost we need to be looking at to get one that actually works.

Anyone know of a cheap, reliable one?
Or maybe one that is likely to be a good second hand purchase?

Edit: We are looking at phone only. No contract or anything.

Last edited:

Cheesepiece

Gold Member No. 8
I'd go for the one here.
Code 2020BF20 takes £20 off a hundred pound spend.
£89 for the phone, once in basket add a fitness band for £10 and a fidget cube for a couple of quid to take you over the £100 mark. Then apply the code.
All links are in the thread I pasted above.

I sent this from my own Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I have revisited Nokia and found them to be very good
We were just looking at a couple of nokias.
I think I have heard thatrecently as well.
Thanks.

I'd go for the one here.
Code 2020BF20 takes £20 off a hundred pound spend.
£89 for the phone, once in basket add a fitness band for £10 and a fidget cube for a couple of quid to take you over the £100 mark. Then apply the code.
All links are in the thread I pasted above.

I sent this from my own Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Hmmmm, that looks interesting, thanks.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Agree with everything above, except for perhaps Huawei who've been affected by US restrictions and I'm not sure if they still have Google apps on them.

The Motorola G series is also solid, not outstanding, but good. Think they're on the G9 now, my mum is still using the first one from ~8 years ago. You'll find them for somewhere between £150 and £200

culcreuch

Forum GOD!
I have 2 Nokias. The OS is Vanilla Android .....you add what you want . They do regular security updates and upgrade to new Android releases when available

RandySp

Serial OverShaver
Agree with everything above, except for perhaps Huawei who've been affected by US restrictions and I'm not sure if they still have Google apps on them.

The Motorola G series is also solid, not outstanding, but good. Think they're on the G9 now, my mum is still using the first one from ~8 years ago. You'll find them for somewhere between £150 and £200
Screenshot_2020-11-22-00-50-48.png

Mine is the P8 Lite

sev-8

Forum GOD!

Since the Huawei ban resulted in Huawei and Honor phones no longer shipping with the Google Mobile Services (GMS), instead packing the Huawei Mobile Services (HMS) which lacked many popular apps, it seemed like fewer people would buy the phones.
On new phones, there are ways to work around it, but they're not there by default

gwsmallwood

Look for a Google one phone from Motorola or Nokia. Usually around $250 for a decent phone with 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security updates. Most of the other inexpensive phones don't guarantee an OS update and only give you 2 years of security updates.

HereticHermit

Über Member
If you are not averse to Chinese phones.
Whatsapp works and has nice handy size of 5 inches. 2gb/64GB

and 1gb/32gb version

donnie_arko

Legendary Member
If you are not averse to Chinese phones.
Whatsapp works and has nice handy size of 5 inches. 2gb/64GB

and 1gb/32gb version
Thanks for that, very small for a new smartphone.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Thank you for all of the suggestions.
All good ones.
It gave us a great idea of where things are at.
She has now been given an alcatel 3l with a broken screen and is looking to see how much it is to get that fixed.
She is hoping it is a cheap way in.
It seems there and abouts on performance etc etc
It will give her some experience and help to decide on the next one.
(assuming the repair isn't too expensive)