Cartridge Interchangeability

Randomangle

Über Bum
I apologise if this has already been covered on the forum, if it has please scold me and tell me to use the search function pronto!

I am quite ignorant about cartridge systems from different manufacturers as before coming to DE I just used Gillette II Blues. I am now curious (thank you @Dr Watson) and would like to know if the cartridges can be used from one maker in the handle of another? I do like the Feather MR3 Neo handle but as I understand it they are rare beasts and I will probably be extremely hirsute around the chops before I happen upon one in a charity shop. If I could find an alternative that took Feather carts I would be happy (ish).

Thank you for any forthcoming assistance. :notworthy:

Dr Watson

James
AFAIK any Feather branded cart will fit any Feather branded handle, they call it the "F-System". Yeah the metal MR3 handles are no longer produced, a wanted advert will probably unearth a few but they will cost a fair bit more than they were when new.

Having used them all now I must say the F3 cart and handle (known in Japan as Samrai Edge) is the best of the bunch in both shave quality and ergonomics. It might not look as classy as the classic MR3 but is just an all round superior design. You might be able to find one for less elsewhere (I think Connaught are out of stock?) but I can vouch for this company, always great service from them and you can grab some matcha kit-kat's while you're at it :D

Feather F-System Samurai Edge Cartridge Razor Holder + 2 Blade Refills (japanesetaste.com)

Having just re-read your post I realise I didn't address your main question regarding mixing and matching handles and cartridges from different manufacturers... Generally this isn't possible as each manufacturer has their own mechanism for attaching the cart to the handle which is unique and thus locks you into their branded eco system. There are slight exceptions, one Bigmem informed me of a while ago is the King of Shaves handle which can be used with BIC Flex3 cartridges (once they have been removed from their own handles.) This is possible as BIC are the manufacturer of KoS carts :wink:

K4 Four Blade Razor Handle - King of Shaves
BIC Razor Blades Men, 'Flex 3' with Moving Blade Heads, Pack of 4 : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care

Last edited:

Randomangle

Über Bum
AFAIK any Feather branded cart will fit any Feather branded handle, they call it the "F-System". Yeah the metal MR3 handles are no longer produced, a wanted advert will probably unearth a few but they will cost a fair bit more than they were when new.

Having used them all now I must say the F3 cart and handle (known in Japan as Samrai Edge) is the best of the bunch in both shave quality and ergonomics. It might not look as classy as the classic MR3 but is just an all round superior design. You might be able to find one for less elsewhere (I think Connaught are out of stock?) but I can vouch for this company, always great service from them and you can grab some matcha kit-kat's while you're at it :D

Feather F-System Samurai Edge Cartridge Razor Holder + 2 Blade Refills (japanesetaste.com)

Having just re-read your post I realise I didn't address your main question regarding mixing and matching handles and cartridges from different manufacturers... Generally this isn't possible as each manufacturer has their own mechanism for attaching the cart to the handle which is unique and thus locks you into their branded eco system. There are slight exceptions, one Bigmem informed me of a while ago is the King of Shaves handle which can be used with BIC Flex3 cartridges (once they have been removed from their own handles.) This is possible as BIC are the manufacturer of KoS carts :wink:

K4 Four Blade Razor Handle - King of Shaves
BIC Razor Blades Men, 'Flex 3' with Moving Blade Heads, Pack of 4 : Amazon.co.uk: Health & Personal Care
Thank you James for such a great reply, I will delve into the Feather system. I feel like I should write a lot more to match what you have supplied! I've always been curious about the matcha kit-kat. :thumbsup:

slapo

It's... alive!
It's interesting that it's only Gillette razors that seem to be getting attention from third party manufacturers.
Considering that cartridges sell by truckloads, I'd expect there to be a small market, even if the real money is in the cartridges themselves.

MrK1

Forum GOD!
Merkur used to make a metal handle called the MII that came with plastic adapters that allowed you to use a few of their carts.

I think I have one somewhere, will post pics if I can find it.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Thinking back to when I used cartridges regularly, it seems the manufacturers objective was trading up - Gillette would bring out a new head design that would fit only the latest razor - and, of course, was more expensive. The handles were pretty much given away as a promotional price with a pack or two of blades. Of the two main suppliers in the UK, there was no way a Wilkinson blade would fit a Gillette handle and vice versa.

R181

Grumpy old man
Thinking back to when I used cartridges regularly, it seems the manufacturers objective was trading up - Gillette would bring out a new head design that would fit only the latest razor - and, of course, was more expensive. The handles were pretty much given away as a promotional price with a pack or two of blades. Of the two main suppliers in the UK, there was no way a Wilkinson blade would fit a Gillette handle and vice versa.
Similar idea to when Gillette in the 1930s sold you 10 blades and threw in a Goodwill Razor for free to keep you using their blades.

Bob