Carbon CX -- Another Unobtainium?

S

Steve Bowles

I see all of the Carbon models are sold out. Are these one-man shops ever going to be able to supply the demand, or is it 'get it now or forever hold your peace?'

Wayne

Forum Sod
I see all of the Carbon models are sold out. Are these one-man shops ever going to be able to supply the demand, or is it 'get it now or forever hold your peace?'
I think a lot of them genuinely put out good products but in small quantities, as we all know not all razors suit all people and the shaving world is fickle too. I genuinely wonder just how many units these small companies actually shift. If it isn't the latest/ greatest it's soon forgotten for the next new thing. If they don't discount after the initial rush then they have missed their window to sell. How many people buy Rockwell, Copper Charcoals, ATT's and Timeless new, either direct or via a retailer?
I bet after the initial rush when released not many shavers think, I fancy a Timeless! I'm not picking on Timeless of course it's just an example.
You only have to look at the lack of movement on BST's for decent razors and that is at used prices, I can't see them shifting many new.
I also think by not making enough to satisfy the initial demand they alienate their prospective market and people move on to something they can buy. Forums fuel demand of course and if you are not on a forum you will not even know what a Carbon CX or Wolfman WR1 is.

S

Steve Bowles

I don't know why we even bother with reviews of razors no one is able going to get their hands on -- especially at the £220 price point. It's much like Clarkson's 'Top Gear' where he's raving about the £3 million Bugatti or Aston Martin. I've never seen one, and I will certainly never own one.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I don't know why we even bother with reviews of razors no one is able going to get their hands on -- especially at the £220 price point. It's much like Clarkson's 'Top Gear' where he's raving about the £3 million Bugatti or Aston Martin. I've never seen one, and I will certainly never own one.
Agreed. You need deep pockets to keep the razors rolling in these days.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I dimly remember when I started this "journey" 3 1/2 years ago. I thought having a Muhle R89, R41, Merkur 39C, and a Progress 510 made me a savvy shaver. Who knew? :scratchhead:
...after many years and many razors the R89, R41 and Progress remain in my rotation; they really are great shavers...I agree...for savy shavers indeed...

morr

Forum GOD!
I think a lot of them genuinely put out good products but in small quantities, as we all know not all razors suit all people and the shaving world is fickle too. I genuinely wonder just how many units these small companies actually shift. If it isn't the latest/ greatest it's soon forgotten for the next new thing. If they don't discount after the initial rush then they have missed their window to sell. How many people buy Rockwell, Copper Charcoals, ATT's and Timeless new, either direct or via a retailer?
I bet after the initial rush when released not many shavers think, I fancy a Timeless! I'm not picking on Timeless of course it's just an example.
You only have to look at the lack of movement on BST's for decent razors and that is at used prices, I can't see them shifting many new.
I also think by not making enough to satisfy the initial demand they alienate their prospective market and people move on to something they can buy. Forums fuel demand of course and if you are not on a forum you will not even know what a Carbon CX or Wolfman WR1 is.
Actually, Rockwell remains a strong seller. If I remember correctly, folks at Maggard said it's one their best selling razors, outsold only by their own brand (cheaper) offerings. That was for the 6S (stainless steel) version(!), I can only believe it's similar for the 6C.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I have never tried the R41.
...definitely worth ago especially as the head can be purchased separately. A slightly longer learning curve than some razors but worth putting in the time. Like may modern razors it can shave at almost any angle but the sweet point of the razor is smooth and comfortable despite some of the reviews asserting otherwise...

CzechCzar

Forum GOD!
I just don't sell many razors. I have been at this 10 years now, and only in the past year have I been able to find a post shave product that really worked for me. The result is that many razors that I had concluded don't work well for me, suddenly do.

I took a Fatip Gentile out of the bathtroom cupboard and I can honestly say this gives among the most enjoyable shaves I have ever had. This is not at all how I remember it.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
I've been in contact with Sean from Carbon Shaving over the last few weeks. They should have stock in the next few weeks.
With any new venture, it's going to be difficult to gauge demand.

There does seem a quick turn over of the latest and greatest shiny new thing, especially on this forum.

Carbon Shaving do run the risk of missing the boat, so to speak, if they don't get more stock soon. It won't be long before something else comes along for us to hype and say it's the greatest thing since the last one.

Thankfully I've tried the Carbon Cx and it's hype is justified.