Pass Around Carbon CX-316L including two new base plates

Morpheus

Forum GOD!
sotd.jpg

Gents, so... my time with the Carbon has come to an end. I'll keep this short and sweet as I feel I've vented enough opinions in regards to this razor and the multiple plates.

This 0.68 plate is simply flawless, nothing more, nothing less. It's the only plate to go for in my opinion, good amount of blade feel but remains smooth and comfortable throughout each pass. There is nothing the other plates offer that this one doesn't, and the plate categorization on the Carbon website needs changing as it is not an accurate representation of how these plates perform. This one is clear and decisive, it's the reason Carbon razors are highly sought after, the sequels, however, lack identity in my opinion.

In regards to this handle above, it's the only option for me too, I don't like the Ti, knurling is weak and handle is to light. The other SS, unless you like the aesthetics of course just doesn't do anything for me. (knurling is good though)

I hope I've done my diligence whilst having this razor in my possession, I have thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and I thank all parties ivolved in letting me experiment with this Carbon set.

I will be ready to get this posted out to the next participant in the coming days. @Scorpio93, can you reach out to me with your address please.

Thanks all,

Scorpio93

Forum GOD!

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: Yaqi 26mm mysterious space tuxedo
Razor: Carbon CX-316L Cx gap: .68mm
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Lather: RazoRock - XXX - Soap
Post Shave: RazoRock - XXX - Aftershave

Razor has arrived yesterday so it would be rude not to give it a go today.

First impression is that it does look quite elegant. Like the handle that was loaded with the head already.
Did grab the other two however will pass on trying them out - titanium feels too light to me (I prefer heavier razors), and knurling on the other SS handle doesn't feel as good in hand as this one. The only comment is that I wish it would be ever so slightly thicker in the middle.

For the sake of experiment - I have loaded the razor with one of my favourite blades - gillette nacet. Very easy to find the angle - felt quite natural, although in couple moments I found myself going a bit too shallow, riding the cap too much. It was probably due to me being so used to razors with bigger top caps. 3 passes for BBS on a face and DFS for the neck.

A really smooth razor - felt like it was gliding across my face. This plate setup kind of reminded me of gillette tech - if it was just more efficient and bit smoother. Definitely a razor that can easily be used as a daily driver (well says me - and I've done 30 daily shaves in June with blackbird only haha).

Definitely looking forward to trying more aggressive plates next as those probably will suit me more.

Scorpio93

Forum GOD!
Razor: Carbon CX-316L Plus/+ gap: .88mm
Blade: Gillette Nacet (2)
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Peppermint - Cream
Post Shave: Stirling Soap Co. - Glacial, Lemon Chill - Aftershave

Now we're talking.

Second outing and decided to go for + plate. This feels much better than standard one. It seems to be more efficient than first one - which I'm quite glad about.
Depending on the angle - I think I have felt the slightest blade feel.

BBS on a face, and very much near so BBS on neck too - besides my trouble spot. 2 Passes with small pickup under the chin.

For me this could potentially be a daily driver.

Tomorrow will give the ++ plate a try. Potentially revisit + and ++ again, and at that stage it'll be ready to go to next person.

Scorpio93

Forum GOD!
Razor: Carbon CX-316L 2Plus/++ gap: 1.08mm
Blade: Gillette Nacet (3)
Lather: Barrister and Mann - The Full Measure of Man - Soap
Post Shave: BartsBalm - specimen G

3 passes to provide with BBS. ++ Plate is excellent and right up my street. Aggressive but not aggressive enough that I couldn't use it as a daily driver. Quite efficient (although not as efficient as blackbird IMO), but also smooth (finding it smoother than blackbird). My favourite one definitely.

Will do another shave tomorrow - half face with + plate, second half with ++ and see how it feels side by side.

Excellent razor that I might be tempted to pick up at some point.

Scorpio93

Forum GOD!
Razor: Carbon CX-316L Plus/+ gap: .88mm and 2Plus/++ gap: 1.08mm
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Lather: Stirling Soap Co. - Mountain Man - Soap
Post Shave: Figaro - Bluice aftershave

Last shave with Carbon before it heads off to another member.

Decided to go half half today - right side of the face was with + plate, and left with ++.

I must say both are good - but as a daily shaver, I don't notice that much difference. ++ is ever so slightly more efficient. I think the real test would be for someone that shaves twice or so per week - it would give much better indication between the plates.

Based on this, my personal preference probably would go to + plate. ++ would be more case of take it or leave it.

Really like the handle, and besides making the middle just slightly thicker, I think it's brilliant. nice heft to it and good knurling.

Would I go out of my way to buy one? Probably not for a full price - to me it doesn't offer me enough in terms of efficiency compared to blackbird. Yes it is a bit more smoother but not enough to make it a deal breaker to me. If it appears on BST with decent discount on - I probably would be tempted.

Finish is excellent - and to be honest If I was new to wetshaving (well, go back to January this year!) and would be choosing a razor that I want to keep long term and have a bit of adjustability - I'd probably grab this with standard and + plates. I do own Rockwell 6s and definitely do prefer this Carbon to it.

Going to disinfect and clean it in the morning, then get it on it's way to next person. I had a short but sweet time with it!

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
First go with the ++ plate. I haven't looked back at my own thoughts on the original plate, but this plate has plenty of blade feel and a nice rasping sound. Lovely close 2 pass shave, but I did have a couple of weepers that soon cleared up. Plenty of AS sting too. I just went with he "Ugly" handle as I know from past experience that this worked best for me, I hate the second steel handle, and find the Ti handle the most aesthetically pleasing but a little too light. I will try it again though.

jeepie

Forum GOD!
First go with the ++ plate. I haven't looked back at my own thoughts on the original plate, but this plate has plenty of blade feel and a nice rasping sound. Lovely close 2 pass shave, but I did have a couple of weepers that soon cleared up. Plenty of AS sting too. I just went with he "Ugly" handle as I know from past experience that this worked best for me, I hate the second steel handle, and find the Ti handle the most aesthetically pleasing but a little too light. I will try it again though.
That’s exactly my thoughts on this as well. 😮

I actually separately bought the original handle because I really like using it despite the aesthetics. Also the double plus base plate is fantastic in my book and a great daily shaver: two pass daily shaver; really comfortable and lovely to use once you get it dialled in . Snap. Wonder if we like the same gear?

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Second shave with the ++ plate and again another pretty decent shave. But... I can get just as close with other razors, Peal Flexi, Rockwell, Homelike, Henson, without the weepers and massive dose of AS sting. It doesn't feel harsh at all during the shave, but it feel harsh when the AS is applied! I'll try the + plate next.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Tonight I tried the + plate with 2 days growth. Same blade, Gillette Platinum, soap, Stirling and brush, Toms B400 with a Tuxedo.

I was going to come hear and say, yeah, that was much better than the ++ and in it was a more pleasing shave, nice smooth and a nice close shave. Not as much sting from the AS either. However I still have lots of weepers!!! I can't recall having this many weepers, EVER!

I'll try a new blade tomorrow, and if that doesn't help I'll remind myself of what the standard plate is like and then I'll get it on its way.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Second shave with the + plate, a new GSB and Signature soap and AS, whipped up with a KRs lathe works Synbad.

Still too many weepers, althought much better today. Nice close shave, plenty of AS sting. The Ti handle whilst nice to look at, offers next to no grip, so I won't use it again.
I'll try the standard plate tomorrow and get it on its way.

It is still a fantastic razor, but I think they nailed it thru the original plate..