Pass Around Carbon CX-316L including two new base plates

Morpheus

Forum GOD!
You are not alone with your opinion of the R1 handle. It definitely divides opinion. I own one but I won't take any offence, Laffin! :D

As for not reading previous reviews? It's the best thing to do so you aren't unduly influenced by others.

Nice write ups so far BTW.
Thanks buddy, I’m trying! 😃

Masamune

Forum GOD!
I thought Sean sent over a minus plate for testing a few pages back... after I had my turn.

Just interested if it is a useful plate.

Guys, thanks again for taking the time to try the Cx and for the extra time to respond. I really appreciate the commentary, feedback, concerns and preference. As small business it is invaluable to hear this kind of feedback, it really does help shape our plans. Truly thank you...

To provide more colour to this new plate, here are some details:

For this "Mild" plate we reduced the blade exposure(although still positive) from the original plate but increased the gap from .67mm(the original plates gap) to a .71mm gap.

I have attached a photo of where the "mild/-" plate is configured in relation to the other plates for your reference.

View attachment 78223

Some notes about the image:

1) The dotted or dashed lines represent what I have seen referred to as the "Shave plane"(Credit: @ShavingByTheNumbers) or the path the razor runs in relation to the skin. This could also be referred to as the "skin plane" or the theoretical plane of the skin. Blade exposure is how far the blade protrudes outside this line.

2) I have noted the blade (although slightly exaggerated in scale)

3) The red dots represent the end of the horizontal section of the base plates, where blade gap is measured.

Our philosophy is that blade gap is not the only measurable of a razor's "aggressiveness/efficiency" but blade exposure is just as important. We also subscribe to having some element of positive blade exposure...

@Cobald thank you again for your early support, we really appreciated your feedback, both critical and positive. I also want to recognize you for your help and tips with bonding carbon fiber/composites to metal...thank you!

One thing about our product and production is that we still only make the Cx in small batches...we believe it allows us to adjust to feedback, improve and to continue to innovate. While we could look for volume to increase profits we think it would compromise these benefits. Since introducing the Cx we have made changes to both the design and finishing. We do our best to make sure our photos are up-to-date and that we disclaim as much as we can.

A couple of things that have changed include:
- Improving the finish (Including process)
- You can also see from the photo we have increased the size of the lather holes (In all Cx models)

But the critical dimensions have not changed on the original plate (exposure, gap, etc...)

What we discovered very early is that everyone has a preference and we continue to try to address these preferences...some of that early feedback included:

New handle options
Improved finish
Damascus, Mokume, Titanium...other cool materials?
Shave preferences, ie. smoothness, efficiency, less irritation, shaving frequency, etc...hence the new plates.

We have had a number of requests for a mild plate...we have also had requests for a "more aggressive" razor, we need to look at all of this...the question we struggle with in regards to a more efficient razor is:

- More exposure?
- Larger gap?
- Both?
- Does one shift to a a straight razor at this point?

Technically there are an infinite number of combinations but totally open to any feedback as you check us out...

While these "pass-arounds" can be unerving for us...we count on you to be vocal and opinionated and for that we thank you.

Stay well and healthy in this crazy world...we hope this pass around gives you some joy!

Thanks again for the support and for trying the Cx,

Sean

Morpheus

Forum GOD!
sotd.jpg

Gentlemen, glass pored ready for the night ahead, COME ON ENGLAND!

2nd shave today with the ++ 1.08 plate.

I'm working it backwards now and will end with the original plate on Tuesday. I decided to go with the same handle today too, It's actually growing on me to be honest.... not really :wink:.

This plate, uhm hmm well... this is not an aggressive plate! I'd put it in 'CAPS' but I'd like my controversy to stay subtle :D. I am still yet to read any other reviews here, so may look like a tool when it eventually gets passed on, but it's true. I used it yesterday and it was very efficient, and that translated in to today's shave as well. Would be absolutely no issues using this on a daily basis because it's just that smooth. It's like a 'VW Golf' well made, efficient and a fair bit nippy, but it's just so safe and sensible that it just becomes a
bit boring, even after 2no. shaves I could easily never use this plate and remain content. What I wanted from this plate is a 'BMW M2' something that makes you concentrate and look forward to using. I know this may be silly as we are only talking about a razor here, but it baffles me that Carbon are labeling these plates ''Mild, Medium & Aggressive''. There is very little increase in efficiency between any of these plates and they all feel relatively Mild-Medium on my skin.

So.. me and my brain are sat here thinking... ''Is this a marketing scheme by Carbon? Let's make additional plates and label them as what people want, but also make them accessible to the fans of the original, this way we can get recurring custom? Wow, now that is controversial, sorry.

But, after all of this said, this is a crazy good razor, that doesn't fall short in efficiency or smoothness. Those who look for that aggression/blade feel don't really have much of an option here and hopefully, in the near future, Carbon decide to cater to that market. Just like how 'Karve' has offered up a good selection of plates. There is at least 8no. plates from Karve's SB/OC options that are more aggressive than any of these.

''The Carbon kids are still messing around in the ball pit, whilst the Karve kids are flying around a Go-cart track in the wet and wind'' - Some noob shaver.

Anyway, I am now done and off the watch the football. I hope you all have a great night and have something to celebrate!!!

Last edited:

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
View attachment 95482

Gentlemen, glass pored ready for the night ahead, COME ON ENGLAND!

2nd shave today with the ++ 1.08 plate.

I'm working it backwards now and will end with the original plate on Tuesday. I decided to go with the same handle today too, It's actually growing on me to be honest.... not really :wink:.

This plate, uhm hmm well... this is not an aggressive plate! I'd put it in 'CAPS' but I'd like my controversy to stay subtle :D. I am still yet to read any other reviews here, so may look like a tool when it eventually gets passed on, but it's true. I used it yesterday and it was very efficient, and that translated in to today's shave as well. Would be absolutely no issues using this on a daily basis because it's just that smooth. It's like a 'VW Golf' well made, efficient and a fair bit nippy, but it's just so safe and sensible that it just becomes a
bit boring, even after 2no. shaves I could easily never use this plate and remain content. What I wanted from this plate is a 'BMW M2' something that makes you concentrate and look forward to using. I know this may be silly as we are only talking about a razor here, but it baffles me that Carbon are labeling these plates ''Mild, Medium & Aggressive''. There is very little increase in efficiency between any of these plates and they all feel relatively Mild-Medium on my skin.

So.. me and my brain are sat here thinking... ''Is this a marketing scheme by Carbon? Let's make additional plates and label them as what people want, but also make them accessible to the fans of the original, this way we can get recurring custom? Wow, now that is controversial, sorry.

But, after all of this said, this is a crazy good razor, that doesn't fall short in efficiency or smoothness. Those who look for that aggression/blade feel don't really have much of an option here and hopefully, in the near future, Carbon decide to cater to that market. Just like how 'Karve' has offered up a good selection of plates.

Anyway, I am now done and off the watch the football. I hope you all have a great night and have something to celebrate!!!
You never walk alone….and you‘re not alone in your thinking. I like the very matter of fact way you summarize your thoughts here. For those that were hoping for a little bit more from the newer plates, I think a fair few would agree that they just offer a different route to the same result. ++ gap, regular exposure, R2 handle in Ti please. Or better not, I‘m finished buying razors.

Morpheus

Forum GOD!
You never walk alone….and you‘re not alone in your thinking. I like the very matter of fact way you summarize your thoughts here. For those that were hoping for a little bit more from the newer plates, I think a fair few would agree that they just offer a different route to the same result. ++ gap, regular exposure, R2 handle in Ti please. Or better not, I‘m finished buying razors.
Well said @Ventastic, same result, different route. You could have saved me 30mins of my life right there :).

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Hiya sorry for the late reply. I didn't pay the customs fee for the minus plate in time, so the plate was delivered back to Carbon Shaving. This was around October last year. I didn't have the heart to ask for it to be reposted and for Sean to pay for postage again in all honesty. So the set that is being passed around only contains the three base plates. I have the exact same set (3 base plates) at home incase of any mishaps.

Morpheus

Forum GOD!
sotd.jpg

2nd shave tonight with the 0.88 plate, using a Gillette 7'o Clock Black.

Won't go into to much detail tonight following yesterdays post, I feel like my opinions from yesterday represent all plates excl. the original, as this is the only one that makes sense to me to be honest.

Another very smooth and efficient shave, this is the plate that feels the most aggressive to me but would still class as 'Medium' relevant to the world of razors in general. I also really like this handle too, definitely the best one the produce IMHO.

Look forward to revisiting the original tomorrow, this will be my 6th consecutive shave in 6 days with all of these plates used twice each. No irritation to report and nothing but smooth efficient shaves so far.

Enjoy your night, all!