Pass Around Carbon CX-316L including two new base plates

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Used the + base plate this evening. My usual Rapira blade and Stirling well lathered. Need to use the plate more, to provide a definitive impression. However initial opinions are more blade feel/agression than the original CX base plate. I thought it was more efficient but the final result was not as close. This leads me to think my angle and pressure still needs correcting, but I have used this razor for some time. I prefer the cutting sound and blade feel with the original CX at this early point. No soreness or cuts. I can send first on the list the new plates, hopefully tomorrow.

CarbonShavingCo

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Nishy I hope its OK but I thought this would be the best place to post this quick update(Edited):

We have been dark for a while but make no mistake we continue to listen to your feedback and comments as much as we can, these new base plates are a result of that feedback. We made a small run of these and added them to our site over the weekend to offer our customers. We plan to have a small run of these new plates in Titanium in the next few weeks.

I wanted to share a photo we posted on Instagram that shows the changes we made with these new base plates, for those who have a technical perspective it shows more detail about the new designs(gaps and exposure). We thought it might help ground those involved in the pass around with what dynamics were changed and what they are feeling and experiencing...

Thanks again to all those who supported us this weekend, for those who are checking out these new plates in the pass around and to all those members on this forum, thank you....your feedback and comments are greatly appreciated.

Sean

3E244323-5076-482F-B5E0-5448B16B0FCA.JPG

Nishy thank you and all for the support...stay safe!

Sean

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks for the info Sean and thank you for letting us try these new plates on ATG.

Well I tried the ++ plate on Saturday. Shaving off 5 days growth. Same soap and blade. A much more comfortable shave than I experienced with the + plate. Great audio feedback as it pinged off my stubble and an extremely close shave on completion of 2 passes. I do like this base plate.

I will use both plates again (only used both plates once) and perhaps both during the same shave. That should allow me to place them properly amongst other razors. So far ++ plate is my preferred choice. The original CX plate will be rested alongside the ++ as well.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I have had the pleasure of using both + and ++ plates for three shaves each. I definitely like both plates. I experience more efficiency with the ++ over the + whilst blade feel or face feel remains relatively constant. Initial shave with the new plate was not comfortable or suitably efficient (relative to cost) but angle (steeper) and pressure (less) was altered, leaving a comfortable 2nd and 3rd shave.

IMG_20200523_200412.jpg

IMG_20200523_200501.jpg

LtoR
CX, +, ++

Relating the above to the ATT range; from M to R to H you gain more blade feel and efficiency, similar to the CX, +, and ++. IMO I experience a more comfortable shave with Carbon than with the ATT range. The shave with Carbon feels similar to the Oristo or Mamba with regards to comfort, again whilst increasing efficiency as you scale up. Loud feedback and direct blade feel, my type of shave. I haven't decided if I like the ++ more than the +, the + is providing a challenge with rewards which is more enticing, for now.
IMG_20200523_195942.jpg

CX - +

IMG_20200523_195944.jpg

CX - ++

IMG_20200523_200114.jpg

+ - ++

Last edited:

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Although I'm not in the passaround, Sean very kindly sent me the + and ++ plates which I received last week, so it is probably best if I post my thoughts, here.
I've been using the standard plate for many months and find it has the perfect balance between efficiency and comfort. It's an extremely smooth shaver.
First up, the + plate, which has increased gap, but less blade exposure. Having used this plate twice, I find it to be both less smooth and efficient than the original.
Switching to the ++ which has even more gap and less blade exposure, I find this to maintain the smoothness of the original, but the increased efficiency is minimal.
Conclusion.... for me, the original plate is still the preferred. I should say that I am a daily shaver for the most part. The increased gap is going to be beneficial to those who skip days and my opinion is possibly a little harsh as I don't fit the criteria for whom these plates have been designed.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Although I'm not in the passaround, Sean very kindly sent me the + and ++ plates which I received last week, so it is probably best if I post my thoughts, here.
I've been using the standard plate for many months and find it has the perfect balance between efficiency and comfort. It's an extremely smooth shaver.
First up, the + plate, which has increased gap, but less blade exposure. Having used this plate twice, I find it to be both less smooth and efficient than the original.
Switching to the ++ which has even more gap and less blade exposure, I find this to maintain the smoothness of the original, but the increased efficiency is minimal.
Conclusion.... for me, the original plate is still the preferred. I should say that I am a daily shaver for the most part. The increased gap is going to be beneficial to those who skip days and my opinion is possibly a little harsh as I don't fit the criteria for whom these plates have been designed.
Thanks for the review David. I also found difficulty with the + plate but the ++ I find easy to use. I also agree that IMO the original is the 'optimum' shave feel of the three plates.

carbold

Carlo
I don't get this business of just increasing the gap without increasing blade exposure, or even like in this cased decreasing it. Whoever goes for the + or ++ obviously would like more blade feel and possibly efficiency. It's a different customer altogether. I would have INCREASED the exposure with + and ++...

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I had a shave tonight with the + plate (3rd shave) and a much lighter tough. Wonderful. It takes some adjustment in technique as the original is more 'comfortable' over a wider range of angles and pressure, relative to the + plate. The reward of efficiency and greater feedback is nice. Not a huge difference but definitely apparent IMO. I still find the ++ plate easier to tune in, but I like a challenge at times. I still prefer the original though.

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
I have been comparing these plates in different combinations over the past few days.

The last two shaves, I have matched the + and ++ plates against each other and am a bit surprised that for me, the + plate appears to be more efficient than the ++ plate.
I assume this will have something to do with the reduced blade exposure in the ++ plate. I am enjoying the face feel of the + plate too, as this is in line with what I enjoy in the original carbon plate. For people who like a little less blade, ++ may be the better option. This, I believe, was the intended purpose of these plates, i.e. to cater to different shaving preferences.

I‘ll stop there for now, as I still have some testing (regular vs ++ and regular vs +) to go before coming to a conclusion on these plates.

Last edited: