Brush: Silver Birch Brushes - Blue Resin 26mm Silvertip
Soap: OSP Trial Cream #1
Razor: Carbon CX-316L Std Plate 0.68mm
Blade: Personna Med Prep (1)
Post shave: Cold water Rinse, TC's infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Tonyschin's Cedarwood and Patchouli Argan Oil and Balm
Aftershave: Pashana Original

Wk 16 (1).JPG

A Dip and twist in the OSP trial cream tin with the Silvertip knot picked up plenty of soap and i started with the face lather adding drops of water to the tips until i had a nice thick, creamy, earthy, floral scented glossy lather - very nice.
I had the Standard plate fitted to the razor fitted with a Personna Med Prep.
The fit and finish is really nice on this razor, as you would expect from the price tag, i used the R2 Stainless handle as this was the heaviest option and to me is the nicest looking, It sits nicely in the hand and feels well balanced, the middle handle recess between the grips seems a natural place for my Middle finger.
All in All a really nice looking razor
So, with the chin loaded i decided on a normal 3 pass shave using WTG, XTG and ATG passes.
I was expecting quite a bit of blade feel as the Blade is quite exposed from the top cap, the blade is held tightly and perfectly in the head, there was a little blade feel but nothing like i was imagining, the cutting angle was found from the first couple of short strokes and it feels pretty normal to any other razor i would use, neither steep or shallow, the first pass completed without issue and i have to say it felt very comfortable and Safe, mild even.
The XTG and ATG passes were very similar, i was using a very light touch and i ended up with a DFS++, i have a little roughness to the touch, rubbing XTG on the right hand side of my chin, however, that could well be down to my technique and learning curve.
A nice post shave routine winding up the shave.
Verdict?
From that 1st Shave i can say i could use the Standard plate as a daily driver, it would need my technique dialed in and use it often just to get the muscle memory going.
I really like the look, feel and finish of this Razor and i am looking forward to tomorrows Shave with the + 0.88mm plate.
On another note, the OSP trial Cream performed flawlessly and really helped the shave. The Cream is as good as the soaps in all areas.
Stay safe and enjoy your Day All

Tonyschin

Veteran
18/04/21
Pass-around Carbon CX + Plate
Pre: Pears Transparent Original Cold water Face wash
Brush: Razorock 400 Syn
Soap: OSP Dark Matter
Razor: Carbon CX-316L, + Plate, 0.88mm gap with reduced blade exposure
Blade: Personna Med Prep (2)
Balm: Gucci By Gucci
Aftershave: JPG Le Male' EDP
Wk 16 (2).JPG

I was looking forward to todays shave, the regrowth was comfortable and uniform from yesterdays shave although i do think it started to show a bit sooner than normal.
The Carbon fitted with the + plate feels very nice on the skin, not as angle critical i thought, i also think it is a tad more efficient. It feels more like what i would go for. It is advertised as having a reduced blade feel compared to the Std plate.
I completed a 3 pass shave WTG, XTG and ATG and the finish was close and smooth, i did pick up a tiny weeper under my LH side jaw line in front of the chin which i will put down to technique and angle setting. it was not there long, sorted by a cold water splash.
I really like the look and feel of this razor and it has got me thinking - - - Should i???
I had a nice post shave finishing with a splash of JPG, a very nice scent and a favourite of both Mrs TC and myself.
So sitting here with a face feeling BBS finish, with a soft supple skin feel and smelling tip top.
Bring on tomorrow with the ++ Plate.
Stay safe and enjoy your day All.

Are there any more to add to this list, i can recommend it
1. Nishy
2. Ventastic
3. Morr
4. ajc347
5. p.b
6. Masamune
7. Stonec0ld
8. Carbold
9. Danjo312
10. Jeepie
11. Hogan
12. Steven_jagger
13. vartik
14. Blackmass
15. Boycie83
16. Tonyschin

Last edited:

Tonyschin

Veteran
19/04/21
Pass-around Carbon CX ++ Plate
Brush: Semogue Torga C5 Boar
Soap: OSP Sandalwood
Razor: Carbon CX-316L ++ Plate 1.08mm
Blade: Personna Med Prep (3)
Balm: Mixed Proraso Red / Argan Oil
Aftershave: OSP Sandalwood

Wk 16 (3).JPG

That was a nice shave!
I face lathered with the just broke in Boar brush and the soap scent was very nice.
The razor today was fitted with the ++ plate and i did approach the shave with a little trepidation, no need really, i was using the same light touch as with the previous shaves, this plate is advertised with the 1.08mm with reduced blade exposure and the razor mowed through the stubble with ease, the Med Prep feeling as smooth as ever.
I completed a traditional 3 pass shave as with the other plate options and was left with a lovely BBS finish.
During the post shave i did feel a little irritation on my cheeks, although, this seemed to settle quickly with the balm and Argan Oil rub. I gave the new splash a good shake as recommended by James @OSP, the scent a perfect match for the soap, no indication on the skin.
Another usable plate! Again advertised as to be used for stronger stubble or efficient razor preference, my beard type i would say is fine to medium, saying that it worked a treat on the strongest of my stubble on the chin and the neck whirlpools.
I think i prefer the + plate so it is back to that tomorrow with a different blade.

Come on Guys, who's up next to try this wonderful piece of Kit?

Tonyschin

Veteran
20/04/21
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Soap: OSP #08
Razor: Carbon CX-316 + Plate
Blade: Astra SP (1)
Balm: Tonyschin's Cedarwood and Patchouli Argan Oil and Balm
Aftershave: OSP #08
Wk 16 (4).JPG

I enjoyed that, the Astra SP is not the best blade out there, however, it works very well for me.
A nice scritchy face lather with the Duke 3 and OSP #8
I preferred the + plate over the ++ plate from the previous 2 shaves so this was fitted for todays shave.
I finish with a very comfortable BBS finish from the traditional 3 passes.
A nice post shave leaving me feeling clean and fresh, a very happy shaver today.
I really like this razor, although i am not sure i would pull the pin right away, i have a large collection to thin out and this razor would go before some i already have. Maybe later when i have a more manageable rotation.

Are there any takers for the next journey of this wonderful piece of Kit. Get your name down on the list.

Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Last edited:

Tonyschin

Veteran
21/04/21
Pass-around Carbon CX Std Plate
Pre: Shower
Brush: Razorock 400 Plissoft Syn
Soap: OSP Old Gold
Razor: Carbon CX-316 Std Plate
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Post shave: Cold water splash ,TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: TC's Bay Rum Argan Oil & Balm
Aftershave: TC's Bay Rum #02

Wk 16 (5).JPG

A nice easy face lather from the RR400 synth and the OSP soap, its a nice spicy scent this one, my kinda thing.
The razor set up with the Standard plate and fitted with the Astra SP.
So,
For me there is definitely more blade feel with this plate than the other 2 plates, loaded with the Astra SP the razor was singing. This time i had a BBS comfortable finish from the same 3 passes i have been using all week.
I think the more i use this razor the more i am becoming to like it, it is now between the STD and the + plates for me.
A very nice shave that.
I decided to use my Bay Rum post balm and splash and it matched very well for me, this splash is very boozy with lots of Bay Rum spices.
Stay Safe and enjoy your evening All

Tortuga

The Spangle Maker
21/04/21
Pass-around Carbon CX Std Plate
Pre: Shower
Brush: Razorock 400 Plissoft Syn
Soap: OSP Old Gold
Blade: Astra SP (2)
Post shave: Cold water splash ,TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: TC's Bay Rum Argan Oil & Balm
Aftershave: TC's Bay Rum #02

View attachment 90380
A nice easy face lather from the RR400 synth and the OSP soap, its a nice spicy scent this one, my kinda thing.
The razor set up with the Standard plate and fitted with the Astra SP.
So,
For me there is definitely more blade feel with this plate than the other 2 plates, loaded with the Astra SP the razor was singing. This time i had a BBS comfortable finish from the same 3 passes i have been using all week.
I think the more i use this razor the more i am becoming to like it, it is now between the STD and the + plates for me.
A very nice shave that.
I decided to use my Bay Rum post balm and splash and it matched very well for me, this splash is very boozy with lots of Bay Rum spices.
Stay Safe and enjoy your evening All
With your favourite blade I think this Razor with standard plate is pretty hard to beat, I honestly couldn't choose between this and a Blackbird but I'm glad to have both👍

Tonyschin

Veteran
22/04/21
Brush: Silver Birch Brushes - Blue Resin 26mm Silvertip
Soap: OSP Sandalwood
Razor: Carbon CX-316 + Plate
Blade:: Astra SP (3)
Post shave: Cold water splash, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Mixed Proraso Red / Argan Oil
Aftershave: OSP Sandalwood

Wk 16 (6).JPG

I started the shave with a face lather with the @Steven_jagger 26mm Silvertip resin and OSP soap, the wall of badger is simply wonderful and always nice to use.
I had the +plate fitted today to finish off the blade, i always go 3 and out with an Astra, its not worth pushing them.
The Astra SP was not as vocal as yesterday, this could be down to the slightly less exposed blade, saying that, i am clean, comfortable & BBS smooth from the 3 pass shave routine yet again.
A nice post shave to finish things off leaving me a very happy shaver.
I am going to give the Med prep another run out tomorrow in the Std plate to try to pick a Plate winner from this weeks little trial.
For me it is very close at present between the Std and + plates

The razor will be cleaned and ready for its next journey at the weekend so get your name on the list to try it out. i can totally recomend it, there will be an option for you from the Kit in the box.

Last edited:

Tonyschin

Veteran
23/04/21
Final shave with the Pass-around Carbon CX Std Plate
Soap: OSP No. 08
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Post shave: Cold water rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: OSP No. 08
Wk 16 (7).JPG

Another really enjoyable shave today with the pass-around Carbon CX-316L.
Today for its final outing i went back to where i started with the Personna Med Prep and the Std plate, i achieved a better result than the 1st run out at the start of the week from the 3 passes, although again i think this plate needs more attention to detail, i found i was "buffing" during the shave on the heavier areas.
A very slick, nicely scented face lather to start things off then 3 full passes for a comfortable BBS finish.
The post shave rounding off a very enjoyable week.
Would i have one in the stable? Most definitely, however, not just yet, maybe if one came up on BST.
The razor is a fine piece of kit and i believe of the 3 plates i tried all were very usable, whichever is chosen for your beard type i think after getting to know it the shave will be as good as any you could get.
So then, My favourite
In 3rd - The ++ plate, a very usable plate but i found i got no benefit from the wider blade Gap.
In 2nd - The Std Plate, the most blade feel from all 3 although not overly noticeable, i think the smallest blade gap of the 3 just requires a bit more work and attention to detail
And the winner is :-
Well you have already guessed - The + plate, for me the easiest to get results quickly, pleasant to use during the shave giving me plenty of feedback. With a bit of practice and following beard mapping i think i could get my passes down to 1 with some buffing.
What a great week of shaves.
P4230003.JPG

The razor is sanitised, cleaned and polished ready for its next trip, come on Who's Next?
Stay safe and enjoy your day All

Steven_jagger

Forum GOD!
23/04/21
Final shave with the Pass-around Carbon CX Std Plate
Soap: OSP No. 08
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Post shave: Cold water rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Amber and Moroccan Jasmine Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: OSP No. 08
View attachment 90487
Another really enjoyable shave today with the pass-around Carbon CX-316L.
Today for its final outing i went back to where i started with the Personna Med Prep and the Std plate, i achieved a better result than the 1st run out at the start of the week from the 3 passes, although again i think this plate needs more attention to detail, i found i was "buffing" during the shave on the heavier areas.
A very slick, nicely scented face lather to start things off then 3 full passes for a comfortable BBS finish.
The post shave rounding off a very enjoyable week.
Would i have one in the stable? Most definitely, however, not just yet, maybe if one came up on BST.
The razor is a fine piece of kit and i believe of the 3 plates i tried all were very usable, whichever is chosen for your beard type i think after getting to know it the shave will be as good as any you could get.
So then, My favourite
In 3rd - The ++ plate, a very usable plate but i found i got no benefit from the wider blade Gap.
In 2nd - The Std Plate, the most blade feel from all 3 although not overly noticeable, i think the smallest blade gap of the 3 just requires a bit more work and attention to detail
And the winner is :-
Well you have already guessed - The + plate, for me the easiest to get results quickly, pleasant to use during the shave giving me plenty of feedback. With a bit of practice and following beard mapping i think i could get my passes down to 1 with some buffing.
What a great week of shaves.
View attachment 90486
The razor is sanitised, cleaned and polished ready for its next trip, come on Who's Next?
Stay safe and enjoy your day All
maybe just pass it back around again as it was such a good razor to use....

Tonyschin

Veteran
03/05/21
Pass-around Carbon CX-316L
Pre: Shower, Pears Transparent Original Cold water Face wash
Brush: DS Cosmetic Synth
Soap: Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Razor: Pass-around Carbon CX 316L + Plate
Blade: 7o'Clock Black (3)
Balm: Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Aftershave: Arran soap Co. Lochranza
Wk18 (3).JPG

Keeping him in the shop window.
A very nice shave today with the Pass-around Carbon Shaving Co. CX-316.
Who's up next to try this wonderful razor?

Tonyschin

Veteran
Continuing from our original pass around (https://www.atgshaving.com/threads/...-list-for-new-base-plates-check-thread.14991/)

Most of us have already tried this highly regarded razor, but now we have an exciting opportunity to test two new base plates. Our feedback will be considered by Sean at Carbon Shaving. A good opportunity to thank him, once again for his generosity.

Usual rules apply. Please post the razor set and new base plates complete, via signed for special delivery, owner should be in a position to cover any cost should the razor be lost or damaged. Try and send the razor to the next participant promptly and most of all enjoy! A short review of your experiences would also be gratefully received.

This is not secluded to UK only members, however to keep postage costs to a minimum, the user list may need to be modified. This pass around is open to full members only (members with access to BST). Please also disinfect all parts/entire razor and other included products before posting. Thank you.

On completion the sets will be returned back to Sean at Carbon Shaving.
This is from the original post.
Hopefully, @Nishy can confirm.
T