Pass Around Carbon CX-316L and new handles

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Ok, so I have had a few shaves with this Carbon CX-316L razor. They should have called it the GX as in Goldilocks
As the original handle is looks and feels terrible, the second has issues with being nipped in the middle, But the titanium feels just right :) .
I really like the flattened top cap and the lines of the head.

Friday evening.
First Shave,
So for my shave setup, Gillette platinum, Vie long synthetic, B&M Spice Reserve soap and aftershave and some Otis Redding, singing on my phone.
I decided to use the titanium handle and it felt very good and comfortable. The soap lather's up so quickly and smells fantastic, it's rich, really thick and slick.
The first pass:
Finding the angle is very easy but it feels very aggressive, and I was hoping that it was just the blade! A note about the blades: (I recently bought some platinum blades from TES, But they were completely devoid of any marking :eek:. They assured me the blades were legit) but I am worried.
With one pass done, I just don't want to continue. So I get a splash of the AS. Oh my face is on 🔥 someone call a 👨‍🚒. Damn that stings.

Monday,
The Second Shave.
WTG:I decided to go with a similar set up except for the platinum blade. Instead, I went with a Nacet.
Ohhh man what a difference, this is so smooth. It feels amazing and effortless.
ATG: Lathered up and off we go. With the right blade it is a cracking razor and I agree with @Blackmass, the Notchai is more aggressive with blade feel.
XTG: Don't know why I am doing this! Not a hair left but it feels great.
Aftershave time, Ah not so much as a sting, blissful.

I would like to try this razor again but with a different soap setup and maybe a different handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Ok, so I have had a few shaves with this Carbon CX-316L razor. They should have called it the GX as in Goldilocks
As the original handle is looks and feels terrible, the second has issues with being nipped in the middle, But the titanium feels just right :) .
I really like the flattened top cap and the lines of the head.

Friday evening.
First Shave,
So for my shave setup, Gillette platinum, Vie long synthetic, B&M Spice Reserve soap and aftershave and some Otis Redding, singing on my phone.
I decided to use the titanium handle and it felt very good and comfortable. The soap lather's up so quickly and smells fantastic, it's rich, really thick and slick.
The first pass:
Finding the angle is very easy but it feels very aggressive, and I was hoping that it was just the blade! A note about the blades: (I recently bought some platinum blades from TES, But they were completely devoid of any marking :eek:. They assured me the blades were legit) but I am worried.
With one pass done, I just don't want to continue. So I get a splash of the AS. Oh my face is on
🔥 someone call a 👨‍🚒. Damn that stings.

Monday,
The Second Shave.
WTG:I decided to go with a similar set up except for the platinum blade. Instead, I went with a Nacet.
Ohhh man what a difference, this is so smooth. It feels amazing and effortless.
ATG: Lathered up and off we go. With the right blade it is a cracking razor and I agree with @Blackmass, the Notchai is more aggressive with blade feel.
XTG: Don't know why I am doing this! Not a hair left but it feels great.
Aftershave time, Ah not so much as a sting, blissful.

I would like to try this razor again but with a different soap setup and maybe a different handle.
Thanks for the tag.

I don't find the Carbon Cx aggresive at all. Have you tried a Polsilver or Gillette Silver Blue? If you found the Platinum aggressive, the Polsilver might be too much for though.
BTW I found it too light with the Titanium handle.

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Thanks for the tag.

I don't find the Carbon Cx aggresive at all. Have you tried a Polsilver or Gillette Silver Blue? If you found the Platinum aggressive, the Polsilver might be too much for though.
BTW I found it too light with the Titanium handle.
Sorry, I wasn't implying you did! I thought someone else had suggested, that the Notchai was milder than the CX. But you felt it was the opposite, which is how I felt it was too.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Sorry, I wasn't implying you did! I thought someone else had suggested, that the Notchai was milder than the CX. But you felt it was the opposite, which is how I felt it was too.
Hi Si,
Apologies. I didn’t word my response very clearly (my head is all over the shop at the moment). You mentioned you found the Carbon Cx aggressive (?). I was only saying I didn’t find the Carbon Cx aggressive at all. I find it Mild TBH.

You are correct when you say I found the Notchai more aggressive. It’s one of the most aggressive razors I‘ve used.

There’s a number of razors I’ve tried and found them extremely aggressive. The Blackland Blackbird, Charcoal Goods LvL 2, R41 and the previously mentioned Notchai. I know it’s down to technique, prep and personal preference but I struggle to see how you can have a comfortable shave with them.

Each to their own.

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Hi Si,
Apologies. I didn’t word my response very clearly (my head is all over the shop at the moment). You mentioned you found the Carbon Cx aggressive (?). I was only saying I didn’t find the Carbon Cx aggressive at all. I find it Mild TBH.

You are correct when you say I found the Notchai more aggressive. It’s one of the most aggressive razors I‘ve used.

There’s a number of razors I’ve tried and found them extremely aggressive. The Charcoal Goods LvL 2

Each to their own.

Cheers
Rob
Surely you mean the Lvl 3 mate?

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Sorry about the delay, I've been having a few issues with the laptop.

For my latest outing, I decided to use the original handle, a Vie-long synthetic brush, a Voshkod blade, Wholly Kaw "Fougere Bouquet" and Osp "Fougere" aftershave.

Surprising how much heavier this handle is to the titanium one but I still detest these handle designs.
So off we go. OK then WTG:
I really like the aesthetics of the flatter top cap design on this razor and the thin/slim dimensions of the head. But I am struggling with the stainless steel handles.
The razor feels devoid of feedback so much that I switched back to the titanium.
Then I paused, looked at myself in the mirror and new.
I stopped after one pass because I am not enjoying this razor at all.

The Idea that this thing cost $249.99 is just nuts! Plus those extra handles are probably another $50 or $60 each.

I have a General mk1 and it is a better razor than the Carbon.

Sorry to disappoint you all and thanks for the opportunity, Nishy.

I have contacted @Kevy and will post it off in a day or two.

OK Kevy is off the list! Who is next?

Ventastic

Forum GOD!
Good on you @ManicDee for being so honest.

I recently passed on my Carbon Cx out of aesthetic reasons and have regretted it since. I miss the balance and the effortlessly smooth shaves it gave me. The quality of shave differs greatly depending on the blade you use.

I recently hunted down another one on the BST and look forward to having the Carbon back soon.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
I appreciate ManicDee's honesty. It is a good data point.

I am keen to try this because I love the look of it, and it mostly checks the boxes of everything I look for in a razor. My only concerns are: (1) Tech style head ... I haven't quite fallen in love with the shave of my AS-D2, which also has a small, lean profile, so not sure if that will be an issue for me, and (2) I really like the aesthetics of the R2 handle, but am not sure how it will work in practice given the narrow middle, which is where I normally grip the razor.

I wouldn't mind giving one a spin at a good BST or small-flaw price, but these seem hard to find. The razor itself hasn't been available for a while. Hope business is good enough that the company continues and eventually makes a second razor!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Sorry about the delay, I've been having a few issues with the laptop.

For my latest outing, I decided to use the original handle, a Vie-long synthetic brush, a Voshkod blade, Wholly Kaw "Fougere Bouquet" and Osp "Fougere" aftershave.

Surprising how much heavier this handle is to the titanium one but I still detest these handle designs.
So off we go. OK then WTG:
I really like the aesthetics of the flatter top cap design on this razor and the thin/slim dimensions of the head. But I am struggling with the stainless steel handles.
The razor feels devoid of feedback so much that I switched back to the titanium.
Then I paused, looked at myself in the mirror and new.
I stopped after one pass because I am not enjoying this razor at all.

The Idea that this thing cost $249.99 is just nuts! Plus those extra handles are probably another $50 or $60 each.

I have a General mk1 and it is a better razor than the Carbon.

Sorry to disappoint you all and thanks for the opportunity, Nishy.

I have contacted @Kevy and will post it off in a day or two.

OK Kevy is off the list! Who is next?
Thank you for your feedback @ManicDee our next victim is @jeepie

ManicDee

póg mo thóin
Razor has been posted, with insurance and tracking. Should be with Jeepie in a few days.

Thanks for letting partake in this pass around, Nishy.

Much appreciated 👍 .

I have sent a PM to both, Nishy and Jeepie

Last edited: