Pass Around Carbon CX-316L and new handles.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Hi everyone.

I completed shave 2 today with the same handle but an Astra Platinum blade. Initially the shave felt good, with a little less blade feel than the last shave. I completed a bbs with no issues...... Or so I thought.

After the shave I noticed certain areas with quite a few tiny weepers, far more than with the first shave. I think that I had become a little over confident and got my angles completely wrong in a couple of areas. I am a very quick shaved, so when it goes wrong, it goes WRONG!

So, lesson learned. I intend to go back to the rapira blade with the Titanium handle next time. Then i'll try the Nacet blades and pass it on. :)
I'd recommend a Gillette Silver Blue or a Polsilver if you have any.

Reactions: MPH

MPH

Forum GOD!
Hi,

I've had two more shaves since last report. One was with the astra again and was rubbish. I definitely don't like this blade in this razor. For the next shave I went back to the Rapira with the Titanium handle. It was a much better shave.

I intend to have one or two more shaves then pass it on to @Burgundy and make my conclusions.

MPH

Forum GOD!
Hi everyone,

Firstly I'd like to say a big thank you to ATG, the mods and Carbon shaving for making this pass around happen. It's much appreciated. :)

So my time with this razor is up and I've enjoyed my time with it. I had been REALLY looking forward to trying it as from the reviews I really thought this had a chance of knocking on the door of my top 3 ( and only) razors....

My conclusions are that I like it. I think it's a really well made and lovely looking razor. Ok I don't like the original handle, but the other two are nice enough. My only real gripes are that the blades are exposed at the sides, but that's just a personal thing, and the box could do with a better label that's not ruined when you first open the box.

Shave wise I quite liked it but I think my problem is the amount of blade on show. Every razor I've tried like this ( timeless springs to mind) is the same, I find them too harsh. With this razor I could still enjoy the shave, which is something, but the razor is VERY sensitive to blade choice.... More so than many other razors I've tried. As such I believe given the time I would find the perfect blade for me and really like the razor. Given this is a pass around with others waiting I couldn't take this time so I'm still left a little in the dark as to how good it could be.

So..... It's nice .........but....... It doesn't suit me quite as well as my as-d2, PILs or mongoose. I am a quick shaver and these razors I can throw around me face with great results every time.

If I didn't limit myself to the numbers of razors I own, then I may well be interested in buying but it's a lot of money for a fourth choice razor....

Thank you again, I enjoyed playing with it. :)

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I suppose I‘ll have to put my Tech away for a week or so! These will be my first shaves with a modern razor since April!

Will let you know when it’s safely in my hands.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
With this razor I could still enjoy the shave, which is something, but the razor is VERY sensitive to blade choice.... More so than many other razors I've tried. As such I believe given the time I would find the perfect blade for me and really like the razor. Given this is a pass around with others waiting I couldn't take this time so I'm still left a little in the dark as to how good it could be.
Exactly my take and it seems looking at comments in this thread that blade performance varies from user to user

Batch300

Extraordinarily Uncomplicated
The titanium handle does change some characteristics - pressure and more nimble. My first shave or two produced only average results - improved and equal to the SS handle. I always had irritation free shaves with both handles.

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
I use Wizamet Iridium Super blades 99% of the time. I've never tried a selection of blades in my Carbons as the WIS works so well, as does Feather. Guess I have been lucky finding the perfect combination from the start.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
One shave in - Gillette Rubie.

Initial thoughts are that, aesthetically, I prefer the original handle and it feels well-conceived when shaving. I won’t post any judgements on the razor in use until I’ve had enough shaves to feel qualified to evaluate it, but my early feeling is that the Carbon is an excellent razor but it isn’t threatening my paradigm.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
One shave in - Gillette Rubie.

Initial thoughts are that, aesthetically, I prefer the original handle and it feels well-conceived when shaving. I won’t post any judgements on the razor in use until I’ve had enough shaves to feel qualified to evaluate it, but my early feeling is that the Carbon is an excellent razor but it isn’t threatening my paradigm.
Which Paradigm?