Pass Around Carbon CX-316L and new handles.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
The Carbon arrived safely today despite the best efforts of RM who managed to trash the box, so thanks for that @Rowlers

I've had a play with the handles already and purely in terms of feel (not shaved yet), the titanium leads the way followed by stainless #2. Razor is loaded with a NOS English made Gillette Platinum dating from 1978, a top notch blade to make sure that variable doesn't come into play

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I've been using the Carbon with the titanium handle. I retract earlier statements. I believe this setup provides the best balance. The subsequent shave is smooth and mild. Blade feel or presence isn't lacking either. Definitely hitting a sweet spot for me.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I've been using the Carbon with the titanium handle. I retract earlier statements. I believe this setup provides the best balance. The subsequent shave is smooth and mild. Blade feel or presence isn't lacking either. Definitely hitting a sweet spot for me.
I'm still not done with testing the pass-around razor, but my opinion is heading in precisely the same direction

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I'm still not done with testing the pass-around razor, but my opinion is heading in precisely the same direction
I'm now experimenting with different blades and keeping the TI handle as a constant. PSI this morning surprisingly didn't give a great shave as normally these work very well for me. I will persevere tomorrow before trying another blade and then sending the razor on its way on Saturday.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Polsilver works a treat for me
Classic YMMV at play as usual. Second shave with PSI wasn't any better, so switched over to a Chinese made Super Nacet this morning and worked really well.

Changing the subject....

I'm nearly done now with the Carbon, so if @MPH can PM details I will post everything on Saturday

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Razor is now on its way to @MPH and I've topped up the samples and replaced the outer box

IMG_20191019_143318.jpg

Now for my findings:

Two soaps were used consistently throughout - Murphy & McNeil (tallow and duck fat base) and Summer Break (v2.0 tallow base)

All three handles were used with a NOS English Gillette Platinum
Stainless #2 and Titanium were used with a PSI
Stainless #1 and Titanium were used with Gillette (China) Super Nacet

Build quality - can't fault it

Packaging - no issues with being environmentally friendly, but the hessian storage bags don't really protect everything and the tube label needs a rethink

Head design - very low profile (similar to GC .84), so easy to manoeuvre in areas such as under the nose. No issues with getting spiked with blade tabs (happens to me sometimes with the Karve)

Handle design - the stainless especially #1 look unwieldy, but actually guide you towards taking the correct grip for the razor, so recommended to just get on with it instead of thinking too much. No issues with grip / adhesion at all

Balance - I'm not particularly sensitive to this and didn't have any issues

Aggressiveness - In linear terms on a par or just a smidgen less than a Karve D SB plate

Angle - both easy to find and a wide sweet spot. Good audible feedback when you get it right

Smoothness - On a par with a Karve C SB plate for me which is my smoothest razor - almost certainly due to the blade being held very rigid. In other words it takes the best of Karve C and D plates (when matched with the right blade)

Final Conclusion - In a nutshell I really had mixed results. Using the Gillette Platinum I had good results with all the handles, but the TI version seemed to deliver a slightly better shave in terms of closeness. I suspect this was related to the head being proportionately heavier. Shaves with the PSI were not good at all - draggy. Shaves with the Super Nacet were probably the best of the lot; as smooth as with NOS Platinum, but closer, in particular with Stainless #1. Classic YMMV territory, but I believe the Carbon to be quite blade sensitive, so be prepared to experiment. The Super Nacet is very sharp, so maybe that is the way to go? I would compare the handles to car transmissions - the stainless variants guide you in terms of grip, whilst the TI version is akin to a manual - you find your own way and also get a bit head heaviness thrown in too.

Now for the million $ question - would I buy one? Possibly is the honest answer. I'm definitely more favourable than the contra in terms of opinion, but need to reflect a little more

Last edited: