Pass Around Carbon CX-316L and new handles

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
It's strange that Tatara recommend using a Feather blade to obtain the ultimate smooth shave and for some people it seems to work, Kevy swears by them in the Nadochi. YMMV. P.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
@Blackmass
In all honesty I think it is purely down to technique.

Now I prefer shaving with a fairly flat top cap, not to say I don't enjoy a curved top cap, I just find finding the angle harder; wrist at more of an angle/more pressure required. This is probably why I prefer the Oristo to the Mambas (flatter head) and why my top razors are the PILS, BBS, Wolfman, Karve, Blackbird, Sabre etc, all have a very flat top cap/head. Now again I must reiterate I do enjoy several razors with a raised or curved top cap, such as the Timeless and of course Carbon.

I also believe having used straight razors a lot, my technique is more driven towards shaving with a flatter head. I use less pressure with the flatter Nodachi at an angle more horizontal to the plane (my face). So less scraping and more of a slicing action. Of course all the above could be complete horseshit to someone else who prefers a different technique/razor.

The Carbon left a smile on my face and as mentioned before wowed on its first outing. The titanium handle was a good shave but nothing overly exciting IMO. I definitely need more than 2 shaves to provide a solid conclusion though.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Everything anyone says on a shaving forum is complete Horseshit to someone else. No two shavers are the same.
I disagree, I know I have the same tastes as others. Our issue is too many opinions and too many Chiefs. Let's 'face' it what you and I and the members know about their face is fact. Listening to Tom, Dick and Harry is subjective. Therefore listening to others is increasing risk. Is it necessary? Well it could improve your shave, then again it could cost you money and blood/skin. This is life. My dad has taught me a lot, as to how, to deal with these situations or people. I'm lucky.

You probably can tell I've had a long day at work. Just to round it off, of to the hospital now, for my Grandma :)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
You are not the only one who finds this baffling Rob, I found as you did, too much blade feel from the Nodachi and very little from the Cx.
It must be a YMMV thing! P.
I wonder if you guys had the wrong top cap as I did? I honestly don't find it much more aggressive than the Masamune.

Wayne

Forum Sod
I disagree, I know I have the same tastes as others. Our issue is too many opinions and too many Chiefs. Let's 'face' it what you and I and the members know about their face is fact. Listening to Tom, Dick and Harry is subjective. Therefore listening to others is increasing risk. Is it necessary? Well it could improve your shave, then again it could cost you money and blood/skin. This is life. My dad has taught me a lot, as to how, to deal with these situations or people. I'm lucky.

You probably can tell I've had a long day at work. Just to round it off, of to the hospital now, for my Grandma :)
I'm not quite sure I understand this reply especially the too many opinions and too many Chiefs part.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I'm not quite sure I understand this reply especially the too many opinions and too many Chiefs part.
Basically normal human nature, too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, you know the saying :)

Boru62

Shaving Boar
Everything anyone says on a shaving forum is complete Horseshit to someone else. No two shavers are the same.
These could be the wisest words I've read on this forum.
Also, we can use the same set up for a year but like snowflakes, no two shaves are the same.

Wayne

Forum Sod
These could be the wisest words I've read on this forum.
Also, we can use the same set up for a year but like snowflakes, no two shaves are the same.
Written by an Indian too, who'd have thought such wise words wouldn't have come from a top table Chief.