Car trouble

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
As is our luck we had the windscreen replaced today as Mrs Saint was hit by a stone, it bullseyed and started cracking. Very impressed with the technician. I was watching out of interest and we was working in a very methodical way. mentioned it to him and he was saying they try to train them that way but many don’t. Just his way of making sure everything is done and in a controlled way. 11/10 for Autoglass. I will be feeding that back to them too.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Here is part of the last reply from Skoda. Oh my...... so there is a part exposed causing this fail ? Sorry but this is ridiculous, or is it just me ?
The 2nd complaint was an EPC light and the test plan advised the retailer to separate the turbo actuator rod from the turbo as part of the work scope. But because they could not remove this linkage because it was seized they had to replace the turbo

The actuator rod is on the outside of the turbo and exposed to the elements so that could be a reason why it had seized up

In addition looking at the tech reports all the oil levels were ok on the latest repair.

So in summary according to the tech report the turbo itself was not seized they replaced the turbo because they could not detach the turbo actuator rod to carry out a work scope.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Huh? The actuator rod is "actuated" by engine vacuum impressing upon a diaphragm and actuating the wastegate ... which is internal to the turbo. The wastegate is a little flap that opens to bleed off excess pressure into the exhaust. More likely the wastegate was stuck, which yes ... means the wastegate actuator would be unable to actuate.

Saying the actuator is external to the turbo is exactly the same as saying the turbo is external to the engine. Both are exposed to the elements.

... and if the actuator rod was indeed the siezed part, there would be no need at all to replace the turbo. You'd just replace the actuator rod. It'll be the wastegate (internal to the turbo) that siezed, hence the replacement of the turbo.

The "linkage" is a splt pin. Break off and whack the actuator rod with a hammer. Voila! Actuator rod unlinked. Test, as prescribed.

Nah! Stuck wastegate.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Huh? The actuator rod is "actuated" by engine vacuum impressing upon a diaphragm and actuating the wastegate ... which is internal to the turbo. The wastegate is a little flap that opens to bleed off excess pressure into the exhaust. More likely the wastegate was stuck, which yes ... means the wastegate actuator would be unable to actuate.

Saying the actuator is external to the turbo is exactly the same as saying the turbo is external to the engine. Both are exposed to the elements.

... and if the actuator rod was indeed the siezed part, there would be no need at all to replace the turbo. You'd just replace the actuator rod. It'll be the wastegate (internal to the turbo) that siezed, hence the replacement of the turbo.
So in your opinion are they bull sh@#ing me ? What would be the cause of the fail too and for it to go twice with in 7,300 miles ?

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
Ridiculous. pjgh has this right. “Rods” in general can’t really seize. The things they’re attached to seize and make the rod unable to move.

This also doesn’t address the oil leaks. Further, turbos are exposed to the elements as are every other component stuck on an engine. Alternators, starters, AC compressors, etc. There’s no valid excuse for a turbo to fail due to the elements after a few thousand miles. No clue what they’re doing, but it’s attorney consultation time, in my opinion. Also consider getting an independent inspection.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Most modern turbos are variable nozzle - basically they act like a small turbo at lower engine speeds and then like a bigger turbo at higher engine speeds so you get all the power of a big turbo without the lag. The vanes of the turbo are controlled by this rod moving an actuator arm which rotates the vanes open and closed, and it is indeed external and this could become seized. If the exhaust is at the rear of the engine that's where the turbo will be and generally quite high up. Also because they generate a lot of heat they will have a heat shield covering it to stop it burning the noise insulation covering the dash panel. It should be fairly well protected from road muck hidden up there so I'd think you've been unlucky. The other possibility is that you're changing gear so early that the turbo is only operating over half the range but given that it's an auto I suspect that isn't the case. You're not being bullshitted as this is a feasible failure. However, it might be excuse #2 on a known problem that they don't want to acknowledge.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Most modern turbos are variable nozzle - basically they act like a small turbo at lower engine speeds and then like a bigger turbo at higher engine speeds so you get all the power of a big turbo without the lag. The vanes of the turbo are controlled by this rod moving an actuator arm which rotates the vanes open and closed, and it is indeed external and this could become seized. If the exhaust is at the rear of the engine that's where the turbo will be and generally quite high up. Also because they generate a lot of heat they will have a heat shield covering it to stop it burning the noise insulation covering the dash panel. It should be fairly well protected from road muck hidden up there so I'd think you've been unlucky. The other possibility is that you're changing gear so early that the turbo is only operating over half the range but given that it's an auto I suspect that isn't the case. You're not being bullshitted as this is a feasible failure. However, it might be excuse #2 on a known problem that they don't want to acknowledge.
This is a manual gearbox, not driven any different to previous VW group small engine turbos. Googling the fault does reveal this as a known thing. I did read of someone with four new turbos. So could be more #2.

Also to add Mrs Saint mostly drives it and is usually shifting with the dash display recommendations.

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
is usually shifting with the dash display recommendations.
then it should be robust to that driving style. Period.

The lever I've highlighted in the red circle is what must have seized. Technically it's feasible. However, it's unusual that a garage would service such a small part as the turbo supplier, which in this case appears to be Garrett, wouldn't want a garage messing with their precisely set-up part and then being saddled with warranty claims after the garage does it wrong so they'd insist the whole turbo is replaced. Making the likelihood of 'excuse #2' even higher in my opinion.
1616624190054.png

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Thank you guys for replying and taking the time to quote external sources of info. All VERY much appreciate.

When the second turbo was replaced they did in my mind hint on a known problem as they said a different upgraded turbo had been fitted.