Car trouble

Geofnay

Forum GOD!
And that is the problem not knowing much about turbos and them realising that. My car to the dealer is a cash cow, they don’t care how many times it fails as they get what £2k for a turbo ? I have topped it up and given it a run to pick Mrs Saint up from the hospital a 18 mile round trip. I’ll keep an eye while the wheels start turning on another complaint.
It's not a cash cow to Skoda as long as it's being repaired under warranty. Does the term of your PCP/lease hire agreement exceed the length of the warranty? If not, chop in/hand back as and when and walk away ...

Blackland Razors

Forum GOD!
Artisan
I may be wrong on this. But I always checked and topped up oil levels while the engine was cold, allowing for the oil to return back into the sump.
Personally I would check it again in the morning just to be sure that it is not over filled.
Cold engine is correct. But it won't be overfilled when he checks in the morning. It will be slightly less filled because the oil contracts as it cools.

Driftwood

Forum GOD!
Cold engine is correct. But it won't be overfilled when he checks in the morning. It will be slightly less filled because the oil contracts as it cools.
I hope you are correct, but if the oil level was acceptable when it left the garage and topped up while warm with 0.5 litre which is a lot in 4 litre capacity engine.

Vacumatic

Testy
Following this with interest.

I have a VW petrol engine that is supercharged and turbocharged, even though it is used gently it still manages to use some oil, around 0.5 to 1 litre for every 2000 miles, I understand that all VW turbo engines are really fussy about the quality of the oil and the petrol. There are no oil leaks and no blue smoke from the exhaust.

The oil I use is Castrol Edge. My previous preferred oil was Mobil 1, I had a car that ran to 160,000 before the head gasket went, the mechanics called me from the front desk to show me the bores and the camshaft lobes, they were amazed that there was no wear at all. They had been a little sceptic when I used to bring in my 5 litres of Mobil 1 at service intervals with the request, 'please use this oil'.

Mrs Vac uses the VW and she knows not to exceed 2000 rpm before the engine oil temperature has reached 50 deg C, this is about 6 miles from home. The opposite holds true, she doesn't switch off the engine when it is very hot for a couple of minutes at tickover. I am talking about a fast run at motorway speeds and then pulling in at services.

I have also heard that the VW turbo engines are very fussy about the octane on the petrol. I use Tesco Momentum which has 99 octane. There is a steep and long hill near my home, with regular petrol the car needs 2nd gear, with Momentum it will pull 3rd. It costs just a few pence more per litre. I haven't check the fuel consumption manually, the readout tells me an average of 30mpg.

The car was bought new in 2013 and has covered 34000 fault free miles.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
They gave it back low on oil??? Bullsnot!!! Raise holy hell about the whole situation.
Exactly this.

Failed turbo ... replaced. That's good. Failed because of an oil leak, anyone with a brain would know to check the oil level. Mechanics (sorry, "Fitters") should certainly know. I would have expected it, as well as coolant check, as a matter of courtesy regardless. Whatever the car has gone in for, they are charged with returning it to you in a road-worthy and serviceable condition.

The oil that goes around the turbo is the same oil that goes around the engine. With failed oil seals, the turbo will overheat and fail. Low oil was not the cause of the turbo failure but the result. Resulting low oil means the whole engine is low on oil as well as the new turbo.

Job done, but done badly. Raise hell!

TobyC

Patriot
Exactly this.

Failed turbo ... replaced. That's good. Failed because of an oil leak, anyone with a brain would know to check the oil level. Mechanics (sorry, "Fitters") should certainly know. I would have expected it, as well as coolant check, as a matter of courtesy regardless. Whatever the car has gone in for, they are charged with returning it to you in a road-worthy and serviceable condition.

The oil that goes around the turbo is the same oil that goes around the engine. With failed oil seals, the turbo will overheat and fail. Low oil was not the cause of the turbo failure but the result. Resulting low oil means the whole engine is low on oil as well as the new turbo.

Job done, but done badly. Raise hell!

Cheesepiece

Stickler
Mrs Vac uses the VW and she knows not to exceed 2000 rpm before the engine oil temperature has reached 50 deg C, this is about 6 miles from home. The opposite holds true, she doesn't switch off the engine when it is very hot for a couple of minutes at tickover. I am talking about a fast run at motorway speeds and then pulling in at services
This made me laugh. My wife insists she drives with her foot just resting on the clutch pedal, despite my objections. I couldn't have trusted her with my RX8 which depended on a strict routine of warming up and down.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Just come off the phone after speaking to Skoda U.K. Gave them a run down on mileages when fails occurred, what happened etc etc. Nice fella on the end of the phone. He said no its not good enough and that Three turbos over that mileage isn’t right. He said the same as suggested that there is a root cause. Both turbos failed due to actuator fails. So the dealers really need to look at why that part is failing. He agreed that oil levels should be checked before leaving the dealers too. So he will speak to dealers and see what’s what. He asked what resolution we were looking for, I said that we wanted our confidence restored by giving us reasons why it’s happened etc.

Did also say that if it goes a fourth time we will be ringing Up finance as it’s a lease and seeing what steps we could take to reject it as u fit for purpose. The fact of three turbos on 7,390 miles stands out for its self.

Last edited:

Vacumatic

Testy
This made me laugh. My wife insists she drives with her foot just resting on the clutch pedal, despite my objections. I couldn't have trusted her with my RX8 which depended on a strict routine of warming up and down.
Mrs Vac works with a woman that has a 911 Turbo. My wife is a 911 enthusiast and so is a bit jealous even though the car in question is a few years old. My wife suggested to her that she allowed the 911 to warm up a little before giving it the beans. The 911 owner said that was ridiculous and to rub salt in the wound that evening the 911 owner gave the car absolutely full power as soon as she left the office car park, maximum revs in first, second and third on a bitterly cold January day. Next day, she turned up in a Ford Focus, she said the 911 was in for a service. Turned out she had blown the turbo and the bill was not going to be less than £7000, depending on what else the mechanic found.

Mrs Vac is happy to allow the VW to warm up a little. To be honest, for a 10 mile daily round trip the sooner she buys an electric car the better.

R181

Grumpy old man
Mrs Vac works with a woman that has a 911 Turbo. My wife is a 911 enthusiast and so is a bit jealous even though the car in question is a few years old. My wife suggested to her that she allowed the 911 to warm up a little before giving it the beans. The 911 owner said that was ridiculous and to rub salt in the wound that evening the 911 owner gave the car absolutely full power as soon as she left the office car park, maximum revs in first, second and third on a bitterly cold January day. Next day, she turned up in a Ford Focus, she said the 911 was in for a service. Turned out she had blown the turbo and the bill was not going to be less than £7000, depending on what else the mechanic found.

Mrs Vac is happy to allow the VW to warm up a little. To be honest, for a 10 mile daily round trip the sooner she buys an electric car the better.
Thank you for posting that. It provided my daily dose of laughter. The world is full of twits.

Bob

chazt

Forum !
Modern "mechanics" have come to rely on the computer codes to tell them what the problem is. I'm not sure diagnostics using your knowledge, eyes, and ears happens a lot these days.
Much the same way my doctor approaches medicine these days. If it’s not in the results of blood work, he’s at a loss. I’ve lost confidence in him after 30 years for this very reason. But how the hell do you find a new doctor during a pandemic?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!

Wow !!! They learnt their lesson there.

TobyC

Patriot
Much the same way my doctor approaches medicine these days. If it’s not in the results of blood work, he’s at a loss. I’ve lost confidence in him after 30 years for this very reason. But how the hell do you find a new doctor during a pandemic?
Actually, I have always said that doctors are best for mechanical repairs, such an broken bones, stitches, etc., when it comes to systemic illnesses they just shoot in the dark by trying different medications to see what works.