Car Puncture Repair Costs

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Factory tires? They may fix it for free.

Replacement tires? Take it to where you bought the tires, they may fix it for free.

You may have gotten some sort of warranty either way.

I fix my own.
Replacements - they're about 18 months old. Car doesn't do a lot of miles

Cheesepiece

Stickler
£12.50 a corner I paid in October. I'd stuck the spare on to get me to the shop, cheeky beggar had the nerve to ask if I wanted the alloy back on once repaired.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Tyre repairs, everytime I hear the phrase, shudders. My alloys have developed cracks (common fault on my car) on at least 8 occasions (£50 a repair-welded) and my tyres always end up with nails etc. Last repair was free as I'm a regular, just removed the nail and repaired the tyre. Otherwise with run flats it's over a ton per tyre, I've had a few.

Vacumatic

Testy
Tyre repairs, everytime I hear the phrase, shudders. My alloys have developed cracks (common fault on my car) on at least 8 occasions (£50 a repair-welded) and my tyres always end up with nails etc. Last repair was free as I'm a regular, just removed the nail and repaired the tyre. Otherwise with run flats it's over a ton per tyre, I've had a few.
Having a similar dilemna with these VW wheels which have some corrosion. These are diamond cut and the cost of having them recut is around £80-100 each wheel, and I have heard that the corrosion comes back within a year. Repainting the wheel costs around £50 a wheel but is a softer finish and i suspect may chip quite easily. New wheels are around £1000.

The days of steel wheels and metal hubcaps, life was simpler then.
P1020794.JPG

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
Repainting the wheel costs around £50 a wheel but is a softer finish and i suspect may chip quite easily. New wheels are around £1000.
Painting may be softer but that also means its less likely to chip. With the diamond cut wheels stones chip the lacquer on the sharp edges so water gets under it and corrodes the bare aluminium. That doesn't happen with painted wheels. If you get them a nice anthracite the brake dust doesn't show up either. Win-Win.

Boycie83

Space Cadet
Took the car to our Protyre this morning for a 'free tyre check'. They then determine any course of action from that.

The chap stripped my tyre off and found some paint corrosion that was causing the leak. He cleaned up all the corrosion for me and refitted the tyre and told me it should be fine but keep an eye on it. All free of charge. Well chuffed - they'll be getting my tyre business from now on!

Edit: typo

Last edited:

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Took the car to our Protyre this morning for a 'free tyre check'. They then determine any course of action from that.

The chap stripped my tyre off and found some paint corrosive that was causing the leak. He cleaned up all the corrosions for me and refitted the tyre and told.me.it should be fine but keep an eye on it. All free of charge. Well chuffed - they'll be getting my tyre business from now on!
That’s when you know you’ve found a good one mate.

D

Deleted member 2936

The chap stripped my tyre off and found some paint corrosive that was causing the leak. He cleaned up all the corrosions for me and refitted the tyre and told.me.it should be fine but keep an eye on it. All free of charge. Well chuffed - they'll be getting my tyre business from now on!
not bad for free tbf

what type of car is this for? hatchback, 4x4 etc

i have in the past got part worn tyres for good prices around here in brum but now got a 4x4 so not sure if i can get part worns in the bigger size like 17 inch rims