Can a spinning badger knot be fixed?

Ed13

I have a Kent brush 10+ years old. Have not used the brush for the last year when the knot started spinning. Tried pulling the knot out but no dice. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Wanted to ask Kent how I could fix this but can't seem to find a contact number. Customer service was great when I received a badly shedding brush around 15 years ago. Turned out they had a bad batch and sent a new brush right away.

TobyC

Patriot

info@kentbrushes.com

Ed13

I want to save the knot. It was a custom run from 2008 with a short, very dense silvertip knot. Soft with some backbone.

I appreciate the info link. Will contact them and see if they have any ideas.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I want to save the knot. It was a custom run from 2008 with a short, very dense silvertip knot. Soft with some backbone.

I appreciate the info link. Will contact them and see if they have any ideas.
It sounds like the B&B Kent 2008 LE.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
If you try and remove the knot you are chancing destroying. It is turning freely in it's socket so should fall out without force. Alternately you could cut the handle to remove the knot and place the knot in a new handle.

Bob

Ed13

It sounds like the B&B Kent 2008 LE.
You are correct, it is a B&B Kent 2008 LE.

I become very impatient with the brush and decided to try to get the knot out. It took some time and a lot of force but eventually it came out. Was worried about damaging the hairs with my grip. Epoxy completely attached to the bottom of the knot with no residue left in the handle.

Cleaned the sleeve as well as the handle. The knot and handle opening had a Very tight fit. The next day I put some epoxy in the handle and tried to glue the knot. Every time I pushed the knot in it would push itself back out. I realized that the tight fit was causing back pressure which is why the knot would spin but did not fall out on its own. Cleaned the epoxy off everything and waited until the next day.

Used a heavy retractable knife and sliced off most of the material from the knot sleeve all the way around. Without the back pressure easy to epoxy the knot back into place.

Will use the brush tomorrow morning and see if it loses hair over time and stays in the handle.

Ed13

Used the brush today and just like I remembered it loaded like a champ.

Only problem is I do not have the same confidence long term with this brush. No hairs lost today but may be a problem in the future. Now thinking I will look into a custom brush from Shavemac with similar characteristics.

R181

Grumpy old man

Only problem is I do not have the same confidence long term with this brush. No hairs lost today but may be a problem in the future. Now thinking I will look into a custom brush from Shavemac with similar characteristics.
I have transplanted a few knots using epoxy and not have any that fell apart so I think you will safe. OTH nothing wrong with getting a custom Shavemac too.

Bob

TobyC

Patriot
I have transplanted a few knots using epoxy and not have any that fell apart so I think you will safe. OTH nothing wrong with getting a custom Shavemac too.

Bob
OTH? Other-Than-Honorable

OTOH? On the other hand

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!

I bought mine new in 2008 and it’s been trouble-free. I hope your fix works and yours is trouble-free here on in. As for shavemac, you just can’t go wrong. Unfortunately, though I see that Bernd no longer offers my favourite knot, Finest badger, but his 3-band silver tip is sublime. I also like his Pure badger and his 2-band with a tall loft.