Buying genuine Astra Greens

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I must admit that I don’t understand these threads, people will spend literally hundreds on a razor but then rather than just buy from Connaught or one of the other reliable vendors where you know you’re going to get the real thing scrimp to save £2 on eBay and then not know if you’ve got the genuine article.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I must admit that I don’t understand these threads, people will spend literally hundreds on a razor but then rather than just buy from Connaught or one of the other reliable vendors where you know you’re going to get the real thing scrimp to save £2 on eBay and then not know if you’ve got the genuine article.
...because there are reliable vendors who sometimes provide genuine stock at significantly better prices. As an example 200 Shark SS delivered from La Barberia is £11.99; from Connaughts the cost would be £18.30. To me that is a significant price difference. I would also say that even a trusted vendor can be caught by fake blades sometimes, you may remember the issues with Polsilver several years ago. Connaught are well trusted and their shipping speed is second to none but for members on a budget there are sometimes other options.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I do see logic in this, as others have said they can be had cheaper, personally I like to support shaving stores if I can. My issue is if I buy blades from say Connaughts, it doesn't stop at blades, I get tempted and want to throw more into my basket, before you know it I'm researching soaps and have £100 subtotal in my basket lol. It then ends up in the attic or shaving shelf seldom used. The excitement lasts days till arrival then seconds till sniffed and lathered up.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
I do see logic in this, as others have said they can be had cheaper, personally I like to support shaving stores if I can. My issue is if I buy blades from say Connaughts, it doesn't stop at blades, I get tempted and want to throw more into my basket, before you know it I'm researching soaps and have £100 subtotal in my basket lol. It then ends up in the attic or shaving shelf seldom used. The excitement lasts days till arrival then seconds till sniffed and lathered up.
I think this is a big part of my experiences in this hobby as well.

Wayne

Forum Sod
@Wayne any chance of a link for the genuine Astras? Or is it Lee's (Rowlers) 1st option. Would be very grateful, down to 10 blades (blades not packs) so on the hunt. Have ordered some Shark super stainless and Treet platinum, as I enjoy both. Astra is my favourite and the first blade I used as well, just have up as kept buying the different options with more glue than edge (slight exaggeration).
Some pics here: https://www.atgshaving.com/threads/astra-blades-counterfeit.7457/page-2
I'm sorry @Nishy I don't have one. It will probably be Lee's mate.

donnie_arko

Forum GOD!
Brilliant, thanks. And they are the latest version?
If you look at the most recent picture the tuck has the image of a black blade in the right hand corner next to a number 5, and the blades are wrapped with printed paper.
Looks like this is the most recent version of the blade.