Boldking/Defender razor

slapo

It's... alive!
I bought one a few weeks ago, curious whether it could do a decent job on the back of my neck and, perhaps, also on the face occasionally.
I bought it with 4 cartridges. Two of them have been... pretty meh.
Tuggy from the start, even WTG. It makes the razor feel aggressive. It does yield a BBS result, except for my trouble spots, but leaves my face a little sore for a short time after the shave.
Using the Gillette slide helps a lot, but shouldn't be needed, IMO.
I think the blades might be decent, but the flexible skeleton doesn't do it too many favours because it makes it feel like the razor isn't quite making contact. That makes me put a little more pressure on it than is actually needed, leading to the odd weeper.

A curious, possibly not quite intentional property of the razor is that the individual blades can be taken out.
When I used only a single blade, it's pretty inefficient (a 4 or 5 pass razor), although it is smoother.

In comparison, the Gillette Skinguard with the lubricating strip and silicon padding removed feels sharper, smoother and is more efficient.
And the Broman with a Permasharp blade is much more comfortable, and actually an easy 2 or 3 pass razor.

In conclusion, there are better options out there, and this cart doesn't really have an advantage over a DE in any regard, at least for me.

Last edited:

slapo

It's... alive!
I'd thought I'd share a small update.
I had a rather relentlessly itching bug bite on my calf, so I'd thought I'd stick a plaster over it so it wouldn't keep rubbing against clothes and bedding.
On a whim, I used the Boldking razor and as it turns out, as poor as it was for my facial hair, it was great for shaving around the bite mark, no irritation even without having to use a shaving soap/gel/cream or another lubricant.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I went to the BoldKing web site. The first phrase was , “for everyone younger than their dad”….lol!

My thought is, a $20 vintage Gillette or Schick injector type, plus $9 for 100 Astra or $8 for several injector blades, most would be set for several months or years.