Blade stiffness and sharpness

Rusty Blade

Forum GOD!
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think most razor blades are sharp. What seems to separate them in terms of perceived sharpness when shaving is the thickness or stiffness of the blade. Example: most would say Derbys are not sharp and Feathers are sharp. But if you look at the stiffness of the blades the Derby is quite thin and the Feather is quite stiff. If you put a Derby in a shavette or SE razor you will see it is stiffened by the blade holder and it makes them very sharp. And most SE blades are very thick and stiff and thus very sharp when shaving. Anyone care to comment?

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
I'm going out on a limb here, but I think most razor blades are sharp. What seems to separate them in terms of perceived sharpness when shaving is the thickness or stiffness of the blade. Example: most would say Derbys are not sharp and Feathers are sharp. But if you look at the stiffness of the blades the Derby is quite thin and the Feather is quite stiff. If you put a Derby in a shavette or SE razor you will see it is stiffened by the blade holder and it makes them very sharp. And most SE blades are very thick and stiff and thus very sharp when shaving. Anyone care to comment?
I think you have hit the nail on the head and that doesn't leave much more to be said! :) P.

Nisse

Old geezer
Time to walk the talk, just loaded a shavette with my last Derby Extra bought years ago in a sample pack
(no need to revisit Feather because I have found it to harsh in a shavette, especially going against the grain)

Last edited:

Nisse

Old geezer
_DSC3355.jpg

Shave was ok, felt like one of my straight razors when I have not nailed honing and stropping: sharp but lacking in smoothness

bambrit

Forum GOD!
The only time that I have noticed a blade rigidity difference is when using a vintage Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) vs. a current production Gillette PPI blade.
As you would expect, the vintage is notably more rigid.