Bideford Pottery Soap Bowls And Dishes Again.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Here we go again with the popular Bideford Pottery Bowls.

From the start I'll lay things out very clearly !!!!

Last time there were a few issues with the Bowls and dishes. This was due to the source of their clay being closed down. Apparently different clays work in different ways. The older of the pottery Harry, queue laughs, Harry Potter !!!! Had been using the same local supply for 70 years. His son and daughter have been using the same from day one. Out of all the orders, something like 30 there were two complaints.

Now the thing is with these pots are they are traditionally made with the two colours and in the style which are local to the area. Since day one every single one has been different. Even down to lid sizes, in fact the lids are even interchangeable. So if you are looking for a factory perfect finish stop reading here and move on. Each will have its own character and indeed imperfections (cosmetic).

These are made in Bideford where I live by Harry's son Nick Juniper and are entirely handmade.

This gives you an idea of what they are all about. http://www.bidefordpottery.co.uk/

They come in the cream and darker honey colour. Wording, you can have anything you like, ATG, Against The Grain TSR, The Shaving Room or even your name ( up to 15 letters excluding spaces. The pictures are of my bowls to give you an idea what they will be like.

The two colours are available in both items, but there is a chance they may be able to make them plain in single colours of Black, Blue and Green. I'll keep you posted on that as Sue ( the daughter ) is speaking to Nick first. These though would only be colour glazed on the outside and no wording.

Soap Dish with Lid, measures approx 5 1/2 cm high 10cm diameter.
Soap Bowl, measures 5cm high by 10cm diameter.
Sizes are approximate and may vary slightly.

Bowls will be £15.27, and Soap dishes £23.57 which includes 2nd class recorded postage, packing and PayPal fees. I will also reduce the postage if you buy more than one making sure you only pay the actual postage costs. I am happy to send overseas, and the postage will be amended for your country and what ever you want in the way of tracked postage. A slight increase of 25p on previous years.

This breaks down as

Shaving Bowl £8.75
Postage £3.82
Packing £2.00
PayPal Fees £0.70

Total £15.27

Soap Dish £16.75
Postage £3.82
Packing £2.00
PayPal Fees £1.00

Total £23.57

Apologies for the packing but I have to buy it all in, I do use up anything I do have lying around to provide extra support. PayPal Fees are there of course to provide protection for anyone who doesn't know me. But I'm sure others would vouch for me as being honest and upstanding.

The above is for UK postage, I can and have sent to overseas please contact me by PM and I'll check out the rates. Overseas ill provide you with all the options but as we all know tracking isn't that great once they leave the U.K. Italy ! I'll post, I'll get proof of postage but after that you are on your own, I'll take no responsibility. I've lost out elsewhere posting to Italy.

As in the past I'm not making anything out of this, just providing a source of bowls and dishes, as well as some trade for a local potter.

Please list your name and what you want be it a bowl or dish, colour and wording. I'll keep this open for a couple of weeks. When we have the full list I will then ask for the money which I'd prefer to be through PayPal. Once EVERYONE has paid I will place the order. It usually takes around six weeks for them to be ready for collection. As everyone will testify I send them out as soon as I get them. No one in the past has had any problems and all of the bowls have been received safe and sound and rather over packed. LOL !

1.[/QUOTE]

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Here we go again with the popular Bideford Pottery Bowls.

From the start I'll lay things out very clearly !!!!

Last time there were a few issues with the Bowls and dishes. This was due to the source of their clay being closed down. Apparently different clays work in different ways. The older of the pottery Harry, queue laughs, Harry Potter !!!! Had been using the same local supply for 70 years. His son and daughter have been using the same from day one. Out of all the orders, something like 30 there were two complaints.

Now the thing is with these pots are they are traditionally made with the two colours and in the style which are local to the area. Since day one every single one has been different. Even down to lid sizes, in fact the lids are even interchangeable. So if you are looking for a factory perfect finish stop reading here and move on. Each will have its own character and indeed imperfections (cosmetic).

These are made in Bideford where I live by Harry's son Nick Juniper and are entirely handmade.

This gives you an idea of what they are all about. http://www.bidefordpottery.co.uk/

They come in the cream and darker honey colour. Wording, you can have anything you like, ATG, Against The Grain TSR, The Shaving Room or even your name ( up to 15 letters excluding spaces. The pictures are of my bowls to give you an idea what they will be like.

The two colours are available in both items, but there is a chance they may be able to make them plain in single colours of Black, Blue and Green. I'll keep you posted on that as Sue ( the daughter ) is speaking to Nick first. These though would only be colour glazed on the outside and no wording.

Soap Dish with Lid, measures approx 5 1/2 cm high 10cm diameter.
Soap Bowl, measures 5cm high by 10cm diameter.
Sizes are approximate and may vary slightly.

Bowls will be £15.27, and Soap dishes £23.57 which includes 2nd class recorded postage, packing and PayPal fees. I will also reduce the postage if you buy more than one making sure you only pay the actual postage costs. I am happy to send overseas, and the postage will be amended for your country and what ever you want in the way of tracked postage. A slight increase of 25p on previous years.

This breaks down as

Shaving Bowl £8.75
Postage £3.82
Packing £2.00
PayPal Fees £0.70

Total £15.27

Soap Dish £16.75
Postage £3.82
Packing £2.00
PayPal Fees £1.00

Total £23.57

Apologies for the packing but I have to buy it all in, I do use up anything I do have lying around to provide extra support. PayPal Fees are there of course to provide protection for anyone who doesn't know me. But I'm sure others would vouch for me as being honest and upstanding.

The above is for UK postage, I can and have sent to overseas please contact me by PM and I'll check out the rates. Overseas ill provide you with all the options but as we all know tracking isn't that great once they leave the U.K. Italy ! I'll post, I'll get proof of postage but after that you are on your own, I'll take no responsibility. I've lost out elsewhere posting to Italy.

As in the past I'm not making anything out of this, just providing a source of bowls and dishes, as well as some trade for a local potter.

Please list your name and what you want be it a bowl or dish, colour and wording. I'll keep this open for a couple of weeks. When we have the full list I will then ask for the money which I'd prefer to be through PayPal. Once EVERYONE has paid I will place the order. It usually takes around six weeks for them to be ready for collection. As everyone will testify I send them out as soon as I get them. No one in the past has had any problems and all of the bowls have been received safe and sound and rather over packed. LOL !

[/QUOTE]
Is there definitely no way they would do any other colour?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Is there definitely no way they would do any other colour?[/QUOTE]

There maybe other colours but they would have no writing on, just plain Bowls with the same inside colouring, but Black, Blue or Green on the outside. She is checking with her brother and will get back to me.

KAV

Their work is absolutely stunning. Is the yellow bowl the same colour as their other products? Dumb question but my monitor and fatigued eyes aren't cooperating today. When encountering tradition I honour tradition. I am almost afraid to ask what postage to California would be. Almost, but my postal code is 91361

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Their work is absolutely stunning. Is the yellow bowl the same colour as their other products? Dumb question but my monitor and fatigued eyes aren't cooperating today. When encountering tradition I honour tradition. I am almost afraid to ask what postage to California would be. Almost, but my postal code is 91361
Two colours one a lighter cream and second is more of a honey colour, both items available in both colours. USA postage for one bowl £8.05 (if you want to go ahead pm me and I'll adjust the total cost for the extra above U.K. Price and adjust the PayPal fee).

Reactions: KAV

KAV

Should anyone besides me still thinks non metric the soap dish is a generous 2"x4" on par with a MWF ceramic dish and transport probably over unseen Ley Lines insuring safe travel.

KAV

Do we require a public list to encourage people? Put me down, or up, for a lidded soap dish, traditional honey with KAV on lid.
I am familiar with this tradition courtesy THE ANTIQUE ROADSHOW and the delightful father and son appraisers. The opportunity to acquire an example in this land of conspicuous consumption of utter junk is rare. Support your national artisans people or start practicing ' have a good one' dressed in flip flops, shorts, tshirts with some Mexican beachside resort logo, reverse baseball cap and sunglasses whilst drinking from a microwave safe mug made in China sporting hello kitty.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
1. KAV Honey Soap Dish (KAV)

Please can others wanting add to this list in the same fashion as above, Forum name, colour, Dish/bowl, writing required.

Many thanks

Lann

Forum GOD!
1. KAV Honey Soap Dish (KAV)
2. Lann Honey Soap Dish (Shaving Soap) & Honey Shaving Bowl (Shaving Bowl)

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I very much like soaps presented in a ceramic dish, and the cream color would be my choice even if others were available. Please add me for a cream soap dish..

And thanks for taking this on!

Last edited:

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I hope this group buy happens..

I plan on having the lid of my soap dish lettered "Wickhams" with the 1912 logo, as closely as can be approximated. I'll then have the dish shipped direct to Darron @Fox to be filled with Irish Fern. Darron has said he would be good enough to forward the package on to me in the US.

I'm rather excited about this project!

Addendum..

This idea seems so unique and "right" to me, that I'll go for two, and Darron can fill the other with a different flavor... Perhaps a Fougere??

Last edited:

Thug

Let's talk about 6, Baby.
1. KAV - Honey Soap Dish (KAV)
2. Lann - Honey Soap Dish (Shaving Soap) & Honey Shaving Bowl (Shaving Bowl)
3. Morecolor - Cream / Lidded Dish (Kevin)
4. wooky114 - Honey Shaving Bowl (WOOKY)
5. BnT
6. BnT
7. Thug - Honey Soap Dish (ATG - Thug)

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
1. KAV - Honey Soap Dish (KAV)
2. Lann - Honey Soap Dish (Shaving Soap) & Honey Shaving Bowl (Shaving Bowl)
3. Morecolor - Cream / Lidded Dish (Kevin)
4. wooky114 - Honey Shaving Bowl (WOOKY)
5. BnT -Cream Lidded Dish (Wickham's 1912)
6. BnT -Cream Lidded Dish (Wickham's 1912)
7. Thug - Honey Soap Dish (ATG - Thug)

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
Is there definitely no way they would do any other colour?
There maybe other colours but they would have no writing on, just plain Bowls with the same inside colouring, but Black, Blue or Green on the outside. She is checking with her brother and will get back to me.[/QUOTE]
Hi did we get any confirmation on the darker colours. And i'd be ok for it to have writing even if it was but out on black. I'm sure you'd see some of the text