Best way to try a straight razor?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors (SR)' started by GoReds, Apr 15, 2019 at 5:09 PM.

1. GoReds

GoReds Senior Member

Well, I admit, I am still very curios to try a straight razor .

I have used a large number of razors, from De, gem, injector, mini hair shaper till long Dovo blades. I have two shavettes.

Yet, I haven't used a straight razor and I would love to try a shave ready one. My goal is to try and give it back, sort of being in a pass around and pay the shipping costs. I live in the Balkan region. I can send one of my razors as sort of loan collateral. :D I thought to buy a razor and sell it back, but in my understanding from the forums, the razors are not shave ready when sold.

Is there a way to accomplish it? I just want to know if straight razors do shave that well by making people buying a lot of wetstones , strops and more razors. Glad to receive some help.

Blademonkey likes this.
  2. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Yes we should have a pass around for this exact purpose. I will try and find the thread after work, otherwise a quick search may be helpful.

3. Nisse

Nisse Über Member

It is not the resulting shave that makes me use a straight razor but the blast from the past with honing and stropping a neccesary part of it all.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    GoReds and Gasman like this.
  4. Blademonkey

Blademonkey Legendary Member

If you can shave with a shavette you will find shaving with a straight razor quite easy and much more forgiving.
    I would just jump in and buy yourself a shave ready straight and a strop and start shaving, if you want to send your razor to someone to be honed or buy some honing stones and learn how to hone a razor is up to you. Good luck. P.

GoReds and Gasman like this.
  5. Gasman

Gasman Senior Member

If you were anywhere near me I'd be happy to send ya a couple to play with. But shipping across the pond...

BTW, A pass-around box of straights was how I got into using them. A guy made 5 or 6 boxes, each with 5 razors in it. You had to put your name on a list and buy a strop from somewhere of your choosing as part of the deal. I kept the box for 2 weeks and passed it on. Part of the deal was you got to keep one of the razors if you were going to keep using a straight, and the guy who made the boxes replaced the one you took by shipping it to the next guy in line the replacement. So there was always 5 in the box.

Guessing the guy had more money than he knew what to do with and he got a lot of guys to convert from the DE to a straight. I thanked him so many times I bet he was tired of hearing from me. They were ordinary 4/8 and 5/8 razors. Nothing fancy. Just stuff he cleaned up and honed.

Thug, GoReds, 2hot 2trot and 2 others like this.
  6. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

7. GoReds

GoReds Senior Member

Great tips guys. How much is a shave ready razor as a minimum in UK?

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Nisse

Nisse Über Member

I would ask forum member Billyfergie about shave ready newbie razors for sale.

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

GoReds and Blademonkey like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice