Best aftershave splashes

Mr Mackay

Forum GOD!
Floid Blue. I have used it almost exclusively over the last 2 years or so. The scent is short-lived, but nevertheless excellent (fresh, elegant, citrusy scent; I even got the EdT while it was still available online). Post shave properties are very good (for a splash). So much so that throughout the summer I used it without any additional balm afterwards (which is quite unusual for me). Of course, it's not infallible. If you've had a really rough shave it can help you to a certain extent, but only time can heal the face completely (I tend to mention this to people since I sometimes overpraise it, because it's THE splash for me).

Not so distant second would be Spanish made Aqua Velva. Good healing properties and similar, slightly less refined scent with a bit more heaviness to it (which I also very much enjoy).

Rocky75

Forum GOD!
Vendor
My favourite splash is Harris Arlington. Great scent and it leaves my face feeling soothed and clean. I also like the TOBS range of splashes for their performance. Others that I like are Alt Innsbruck, Trumper Wellington, M&S Woodspice, British Sterling and Aqua Velva Ice Blue. I'm not fond of balms as they lack alcohol and don't leave my face feeling soothed or refreshed; in fact the balms I've tried leave my face feeling itchy and slightly irritated. Any splash I use must contain alcohol; a touch of menthol also is nice.
Which tobs?

Jacobite

Legendary Member
I feel like I've been wandering in the wilderness for 20 years, buying & trying after shaves but never feeling satisfied. My 2 favourite after shaves were both discontinued around 1990, while my third fave was reformulated, and I've been a restless soul ever since. Floris' New Mown Hay was the nicest after shave I ever owned. Classic, elegant, understated. The archetype of all that is posh and British. Discontinued. My other fave was kanøn, made by Scannon since the 60s but alas discontinued as well. The scent has been revived and cheapened by a Florida manufacturer, but it is a pale imitation. Finally, Roger & Gallet's L'homme was a great after shave that at some point in the past 20 years was reformulated. My last bottle of the original finally gave out about 2 years ago.

Of the ones I own today my favourite is vintage Gillette Sun Up. I had the good fortune to purchase 6 or 7 bottles a few years ago, so I'm set for life. It has a classic 1960s scent, actually similar to original Gillette Foamy. My other preferred after shaves are all Italian- Vitos Aftershaving, Floid "Italian" Amber, and Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore. I'd love to get the genuine Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Tuscano, but that may take some time, as the woman and children here in the cabin keep clamouring for food and shoes and such things.

halvor

a most elusive fish
I feel like I've been wandering in the wilderness for 20 years, buying & trying after shaves but never feeling satisfied. My 2 favourite after shaves were both discontinued around 1990, while my third fave was reformulated, and I've been a restless soul ever since. Floris' New Mown Hay was the nicest after shave I ever owned. Classic, elegant, understated. The archetype of all that is posh and British. Discontinued. My other fave was kanøn, made by Scannon since the 60s but alas discontinued as well. The scent has been revived and cheapened by a Florida manufacturer, but it is a pale imitation. Finally, Roger & Gallet's L'homme was a great after shave that at some point in the past 20 years was reformulated. My last bottle of the original finally gave out about 2 years ago.

Of the ones I own today my favourite is vintage Gillette Sun Up. I had the good fortune to purchase 6 or 7 bottles a few years ago, so I'm set for life. It has a classic 1960s scent, actually similar to original Gillette Foamy. My other preferred after shaves are all Italian- Vitos Aftershaving, Floid "Italian" Amber, and Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore. I'd love to get the genuine Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Tuscano, but that may take some time, as the woman and children here in the cabin keep clamouring for food and shoes and such things.
Would have liked to try Sun Up but have yet to come across any. Not very likely.

Btw, believe Barrister Reserve Classic is modelled/based on Sun Up, but it’s not very close to any foam I’ve smelled.

Ventriss

I like Old Spice and M&S own brand (can't remember its name). Mind you I never spend much on any shaving products other than razors and blades.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I really like M&S aftershave splashes; they’re very good value. At the moment I have two, Woodspice Original and Woodspice Amber.

str8rzr

Guru
I really like the green Proraso, Tüff sensitv (the green one!) and Bello Bay Rum. I have not used Speick for several years, but as far as I remember, it was top notch too.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
I have been trying many aftershaves over the last 12-18 months, especially aftershaves that have been around for decades. Most of them have been good and quite a few excellent. A few did stand out for winter use in terms of leaving the skin feeling nourished, calmed and refreshed afterwards - the Swedish aftershave Hega (Citrus & Musk) is excellent for icy, windy, wintery days, closely followed by the German aftershave Tuff no.2 (Herb) and Proraso Red.

For healing properties, especially if I have over-shaved my scalp, the Croatian aftershave Ralon (the original Pitralon formula) with it's medicinal scent, from the Camphor I guess, really calms the skin; Pitralon Swiss, Speick and again Proraso Red are also very good in this respect.

For summer days, nothing I have tried has the menthol hit of Fine's Snake Bite; Proraso Green, Pitralon German and Floid Vigoroso are great summer daily's though.

There are quite a few aftershaves I enjoy mostly for the scent and/or the alcohol content but the above aftershaves make great staples for me. If I was starting again, and for regular daily use, all I would purchase would be Proraso - Red and Green, Pitralon (German) and Tuff No.2.

Last edited:

babydials

Über Member
Wickham's 1912 splashes? All we get in NY is the balm gels. Would love Club Cola as a splash.

Fine Italian Citrus
Floid Blue (I wish they still made this, the heirs to the throne are too strong and miss the slight floral/powder element)
B&M Fougere Classique (also discontinued)

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
Wickham's 1912 splashes? All we get in NY is the balm gels. Would love Club Cola as a splash.
The Wickhams splashes were early on when 1912 was first released. From memory they were only available in Citrus Musk, Cashmere and Classic 24, might be wrong on that but there were only 3 scents. They were discontinued and replaced by the balms.

chazt

I’ve been enjoying Fine’s Snake Bite and Swiss Pitralon for most of my shaves this summer. Often, I apply the Snake Bite and wait a few minutes before splashing on some Pitralon. It’s like time-released post-shave goodness! Proraso Red has good post shave feel and puts me in a happy place. Back in January I broke down and bought the Diamond AS splash to match the soap I’ve loved for a number of years. Two or three times a month now, I enjoy pairing B&M Diamond soap and splash. It’s one of the few artisan scents that knocks me out. Other splashes I’d still like to try are DRH Arlington, LEA Classic and Speick. Can anyone speak to the difference between the standard Speick splash and the “Active?”