Basic fountain pen questions .....

slapo

It's... alive!
If this is something you want to learn more about there is a useful you tube vid on the subject, in fact there are many but here is one:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=099Dhlit51E&t=305s
Now I feel like I might've offended the waverly nibs. I shall polish my armour and sharpen my rapier, just in case they demanded statisfaction.
Although if they're bent and would demand satisfaction... maybe let's not go there. :-P

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
I'd recommend the Pilot Kakuno, you can pick them up for next to nothing on Amazon UK. For ink, I like the Pilot Iroshizuku in Tsuki-yo.

The nib, regardless of width, is extremely smooth, I like the medium. If you're interested in Pilot's posting (PO) nib, order a Kakuno in fine and bend the nib down, it's still smooth as silk and ink flow is fine.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Hope that you can let us know how it is to use.
Well, I have been using this.
I don't use it loads and I don't use it for anything fancy, I also haven't taken it with me anywhere.
It gets used for my daily uses which is what I wanted. (For now)
You know, shopping lists, scribble notes when looking things up, writing on my calendar, that sort of thing.

I hit lucky in that I had some Parker blue that appears to be a good usable ink.

It has not had a single dry 'thing'. It just works.
I am pretty happy with it. If I knew no different I would be quite content.
Although, I couldn't resist splashing out fifteen pound to try a Jowo nib.
It is on its way.

Can you tell I am quite enjoying this :)

Thanks again @slapo

Vacumatic

Testy
I don't use it loads and I don't use it for anything fancy, I also haven't taken it with me anywhere.
You know, shopping lists, scribble notes when looking things up, writing on my calendar, that sort of thing.

I hit lucky in that I had some Parker blue that appears to be a good usable ink.

It is on its way.

Thanks again @slapo

Good to hear your news and I am pleased that you re getting along with pen use. As I mentionned before, the washable blue Parker is a good and reliable ink, there are much more glamourous inks around but nothing wrong with Parker. The Jowo nib is well regarded, there is one nibmeister in the UK and he uses Jowo nibs on custom pen work, so they must be pretty good.

It is also worth asking older relatives if they have any old fountain pens lost and forgotten in the back of desk drawers, with a few simple skills you can have these back up and working.

Rgds

slapo

It's... alive!

It is on its way.

Thanks again @slapo
I'm happy to read you're getting on with it so well. :)
I'd be curious to learn how you're going to like the new nib, too.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I got my new nib.
Pleased to say that it fits.
(Phew)
Now, I have no idea what i am talking about and don't know how to 'test' them.
I just use them and see what i like.
I am impressed.
Although, it isn't leaps and bounds ahead of the original one.
Shows how good cheap ones are these days eh?
I would definitely be happy with the original.

However, the thing I notice straight away is that it has less friction on the paper.
You write with an even lighter touch.
I hardly feel like there is paper involved.
Pretty interesting stuff.
I shall have to adjust my writing slightly to allow for it.
So, it is less 'scratchy' although I would never have called the old one scratchy.... but this one is smoother for sure.

That is with it being a fine nib as opposed to a medium as well.
(I assume that finer are more scratchy?)
I went for that as I often scribble in smaller spaces.
It prevents the ink joining up in my letters if you know what i mean?

I couldn't be happier.

But my biggest take is just how good the cheap nibs are now.
(although i can't see me changing it back)

Vacumatic

Testy
Good quality pens at a very low price are a new thing, within the past few years. You can get a good pen with a very good nib delivered to the UK for the price of a cup of coffee, that pen could still be around in 100 years, quite a nice thing to pass on down, along with grandads razor and grandads wallet.

The pens to look out for are Jinhao X450 and X750 and a 159.

You need to spend quite a lot more more to get something that is noticeably better, IMHO.

I think you have done all the right things Grarea, medium pens suit most people, if your handwriting was tiny, about the size of the font on this screen then sure, go for a Fine or Extra Fine nib but most people are happy with a medium.

You may be able to help the smooth the nibs even more. Find yourself some polished copper or aluminium, shinier the better. work the nib on the metal in small 88888s for about 30 seconds, you may feel a small twitch initially and then it goes smooth. I think that you will notice the difference when you come to write.

Thanks for letting us know how you got on

Last edited:

Grarea

Forum Plod
Nice one.
I didn't realise how much effort you have to put into shoving a ballpoint around :)
Edit: I have not had it go dry on me or anything.
Although I do use it every day.
I also haven't taken it out and about.

Last edited:

Vacumatic

Testy
Some of you may have heard of the Parker 51 fountain pen. It was made between 1941 and about 1970, brilliant design and manufacture, stilla sought after pen today, you will pay about £40 for a 51 in ok condition to about £100 for one that is newly restored and looks like, and works like, brand new. Many colllectors and users aspire to owning a 51.

Be aware that Parker have relaunched the 51 but it is a pale imitation of the original with inferior materals, worse nib, etc. it looks like they have said to a Chinese maker who have been doing poor copies for years, make a pen for us.

The price is over £100 and whilst I am sure it will sell very well it is not as good as the original, and you can buy a best quality 51 for less money and that in all probability will be worth more in 10 years time than you pay today

I havent seen them on sale in the UK, just the US. The pic is the original 51.

Parker-51-Red-4.jpg