BARTs Balm - rebadged - Why oh why?

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Ok, I am still a great lover and supporter of Barts Balms but the new packaging is doing my head in. I have no issue withy the new labels but the names? Mcdoo, McDuff, Mcwhy, Mcwtf etc etc. I now find myself putting sticking labels on them to tell me what is inside. Now that cannot be right surely? :eek::D

BartsBalm

Forum GOD!
No wonder you are so confused, there is actually only one "Mc" product and that is Macdui! Not sure where the rest have come from :).

The main reason that I changed, from the scent description product names, was that I was getting lots of emails stating "I can't smell the....".

Scent is very individual and people smell the same fragrance in different ways. This is one of the reasons why, although possible, it is very difficult to copyright a scent.

Before changing over I had a customer poll and 66% were in favour of the change and 10% did not really have a preference, so I felt that was quite conclusive proof that it was a worthwhile exercise (bearing in mind the costs/disruption involved).

You will notice that many, many companies do not have the scent description as the product title and this was a mistake I made.

The old scent descriptions are still on my website to help identify previously purchased items.

Hope this helps.

Bart

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
No wonder you are so confused, there is actually only one "Mc" product and that is Macdui! Not sure where the rest have come from :).

The main reason that I changed, from the scent description product names, was that I was getting lots of emails stating "I can't smell the....".

Scent is very individual and people smell the same fragrance in different ways. This is one of the reasons why, although possible, it is very difficult to copyright a scent.

Before changing over I had a customer poll and 66% were in favour of the change and 10% did not really have a preference, so I felt that was quite conclusive proof that it was a worthwhile exercise (bearing in mind the costs/disruption involved).

You will notice that many, many companies do not have the scent description as the product title and this was a mistake I made.

The old scent descriptions are still on my website to help identify previously purchased items.

Hope this helps.

Bart
My mistake, it is all the Bens. Ben Dover, Ben e Hill, Benofee etc. 😂 Whatever, I am still a fan although the lotions now bring me out in spots so Balms only from now on. Keep up the good work and thank you for the explanation. Have got a “guide to Barts” on the inside of the bathroom cabinet door that will help from now on. 😉

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Not only that, but fragrances differ from person to person. During the 1970’s that was a perfume (can’t recall which one) that I loved on some women but there was more than one person who gave off a whiff of horse liniment when wearing it. I assume this is partly the reason why we prefer certain types - we are influenced by how it smells on us. Not sure was was wrong with the ladies who didn’t pick up on the horse liniment though.

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
Not only that, but fragrances differ from person to person. During the 1970’s that was a perfume (can’t recall which one) that I loved on some women but there was more than one person who gave off a whiff of horse liniment when wearing it. I assume this is partly the reason why we prefer certain types - we are influenced by how it smells on us. Not sure was was wrong with the ladies who didn’t pick up on the horse liniment though.
And one in 1990s that, to my nose, smelt like Jif lemon cleaner on all of 'em...

steve

Tortuga

The Spangle Maker

Hope this helps.

Bart
Any chance of the Lavender making a comeback? 🤞

Will-J

Forum GOD!
@BartsBalm

The new packaging is indeed very smart, and I welcome the move towards glass bottles which are easier to recyle for me.

One thing I have found though with the change is the old bottles used different colours for each scent. To me this was really helpful as I always seem to have a few of them on the shelf in the bathroom and knew what I was reaching for based on the colour of the bottle rather than having to remember what order I'd put them in or read the label.

Perhaps your designer could have a look at how to reintroduce some subtle visual differnce like that when you have the next batch of labels made? :)

Greatfully received my samples on Monday jueas I had to spend the week in hospital so haven't tried them yet. Will be giving them a go over the bank holiday weekend as the fragrance from the bottle is nice but not as strong as I can imagine in proper use. Thanks.

Ordered a ben lomond which hasn't arrived as yet but asked for a sample of ben kilbreck that turned up . Great feeling and smells nice and fresh. Slight citrus but nothing too much wondering now if I chose the wrong one.