Avro Vulcan Bomber B.Mk II

Discussion in 'ATG Cafe' started by Redrock, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Redrock

Redrock Guru

@DamianJ

I see where your avatar is an Avro Hawker Vulcan Bomber B.Mk II. While stationed at Offutt AFB, Nebraska in the early 1980s, I was able to see this airplane do a flight demonstration. I remember a number of items distinctly:
    1. The noise. Has to be one of the loudest airplane ever made.
    2. The howl of the engines. Most unique. I loved it.
    3. The size. This is one big airplane.
    4. Gracefulness. Seeing it fly was a beauty to behold. Amazing maneuverability.

One of these planes is on display at Offutt AFB.
    https://sacmuseum.org/what-to-see/aircraft/avro-hawker-vulcan/

Ed K.

DamianJ and halvor like this.
  2. DamianJ

DamianJ Legendary Member

Hi Ed,
    Thanks for the thread and tag.

I remember seeing them fly in the area and at air shows all the time as a kid, although I'm not military.

I was lucky enough to be at RAF Finningley Airshow for "The Last Scramble" where 4 were started and scrambled at the same time, an amazing noise. Try a search on YouTube, I think there's some old footage.

I've also been lucky enough to see XH558 restored to flight and displayed more recently. The howl up close really is something.

Lots of great memories of a great plane.

Best Wishes,
    Damian

Redrock likes this.
  3. dc68

dc68 -------------

There used to be one at Blackpool airport for years, lots of fun for those of us in the Air Cadets

Redrock and DamianJ like this.
  4. chris.hale

chris.hale Forum GOD!

We visited Carlisle airfield for XH558's farewell tour it was really sad knowing that I’ll never see (or hear!) her fly again. There’s a non-flight worthy Vulcan there and we had a tour of the cockpit, it was fascinating and a lot more cramped than you’d think.

There are a lot a very good YouTube videos of her in flight though.

DamianJ and Redrock like this.
  5. Redrock

Redrock Guru

Thanks. I will look around the Internet.

Ed K.

DamianJ likes this.
  6. Redrock

Redrock Guru

Thug, R181, chris.hale and 1 other person like this.
  7. DamianJ

DamianJ Legendary Member

I was there at that show which I believe was in her last display season.

The farewell in the bomb bay still gets me :cry:

The bomb bay is now full of names of the people that supported and donated to restore and keep her flying. I'm proud to say mine and my families are in there.

If you've not already found it check out the display from RIAT 2015. Nice take off and wingover from an old girl.

8. Redrock

Redrock Guru

Cool to take a stroll down memory lane. Thanks for the additional info.

Ed K.

DamianJ likes this.
  9. Paper Plane

Paper Plane Active Member

XH558 has flown over my village a few times a couple of years ago. Wonderful to watch and an amazing noise.

Be great shame if it never flies again.

steve

10. DamianJ

DamianJ Legendary Member

Unfortunately Steve she will never fly again although she is being kept in taxiable condition.

XH558 is still based at Finningley and there are plans for a dedicated visitors centre being built. Fingers crossed.

Paper Plane likes this.
  11. Mikey J

Mikey J Legendary Member

https://imgur.com/a/jplGzk4

Here's a video I took about 11 months before I left the RAF for pastures new. It's the last serviceable Vulcan with the last two serviceable Lancaster Bombers (one British, one Canadian) flying in formation over RAF Coningsby. Think the other aircraft is a Hawk if my memory serves me correctly.

I've actually been inside that Vulcan on the ground when it was stationed at RAF Lyneham. Great piece of engineering.

R181 and DamianJ like this.
  12. DamianJ

DamianJ Legendary Member

Great video. I went down to Waddington to watch the 2 Lancaster's together, then went up to Lincoln to watch the flyover. Great memories.

Mikey J likes this.
  13. Mikey J

Mikey J Legendary Member

It's a truly amazing sight witnessing that thing in the air. It looks a little bit like its wearing a super hero cape

DamianJ likes this.
  14. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Interesting thread, our Pharmacy is very close to an RAF museum and I have visited a few times, always a great experience.

I was also lucky enough to have been flown in a private plane by a family friend a few times when I was younger. Would love to learn to fly now.

Mikey J and DamianJ like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice