Attar عطار

pjgh

Forum GOD!
You know I love my rose, can't find any for that seller tho.
They come through every now and again. I had a BiN in my watch list for ages and it went ... a few weeks later, one came through for auction. Give him a shout - he might well cook up a BiN price for you.

Dr Watson

James
Speaking of rose attars, are you familiar with any of the Surrati range? Particularly interested in Rose 333 & Sandal rose... I appreciate they are from the budget end but I've had only good experiences with Surrati thus far.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Speaking of rose attars, are you familiar with any of the Surrati range? Particularly interested in Rose 333 & Sandal rose... I appreciate they are from the budget end but I've had only good experiences with Surrati thus far.
Yes, I am indeed and have had both through my collection. Rose 333 was pretty good, to be honest. Rose, and lots of it! Definitely good for adding a dash more rose to something else, not so interesting on its own. Sandal Rose was very light. For the masculine side of rose, it blends well with musk and heavier woods like cedar.

Surrati are certainly one of the better big houses. Their copies of western frags, while the do work, are not as good as their eastern frags. There's a bit more soul, if you like, in their eastern frags.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
I'd also throw Al Rehab Mokhalat Dubai in as a suggestion. It's a woodsy, dark, almost wet rose, medicinal amber, bitter herbal and with a tinge of light smoke? It's on the charnal side of rose. Quite dark. Definitely masculine.

Reviewed on Fragrantica: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Al-Rehab/Mokhalat-Dubai-20146.html

Last edited:

Dr Watson

James
Yes, I am indeed and have had both through my collection. Rose 333 was pretty good, to be honest. Rose, and lots of it! Definitely good for adding a dash more rose to something else, not so interesting on its own. Sandal Rose was very light. For the masculine side of rose, it blends well with musk and heavier woods like cedar.

Surrati are certainly one of the better big houses. Their copies of western frags, while the do work, are not as good as their eastern frags. There's a bit more soul, if you like, in their eastern frags.
Thank you, exactly what I wanted to hear! I've also noted the chypre rose you mention above which would be the top end of my £/per scent budget at the moment. The Mokhalat Dubai appears to be £2.97 for 6ml. Rude not to try it for that :)

Last edited:

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Thank you, exactly what I wanted to hear! I've also noted the chypre rose you mention above which would be the top end of my £/per scent budget at the moment. The Mokhalat Dubai appears to be £2.97 for 6ml. Rude not to try it for that :)
I'm just looking through some of my notes and found another that's rose as a strong character without being Turkish Delight sweet ... Al Haramain Mukhallat Malaki - Light, green stemmed rose (you get the stems quite strongly), sweetening through amber to coffee, vanilla and spiced cinnamon oudh wood. From memory, it takes a while but it settles out to something quite fine!

pjgh

Forum GOD!
That does sound right up my street.
Not absolutely the same, but of a very similar vein check out Al Haramain Fakat Lil Rijal ("For Men") - Top: Blackcurrant, Buds, Bergamot; Middle: Lily of the Valley, Rosewood, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang; Base: Vanilla, Cedarwood, Musk ... and good, straight-up Woody Floral Musk. Quite akin to GFT Eucris, in many ways.

You should open up your den for gents to come sniffing out new scents lol
It's an idea ... I have 123 of these oils now. I've tried a whole heap more, so any questions: I can tell you if it smells of burned rubber or will be a pleasure to use ... before you buy, folks.

Last edited:

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!