ATT G1

Masamune

Forum GOD!
Can any owners of this razor tell me the difference in the plates, I'm considering making a trade for one but want to be sure it is the revised baseplate. Is there an easy way to tell?

vates

Legendary Member
Actually, Matt was very helpful and readily answered all my questions.

So, "the rinse ports are slightly smaller on the V1. There are some other subtle changes, but this is the easiest way for me to tell the difference. "

But there was also a "version 1.5". At one time they re-machined the safety bar thinner on the original run of plates, to enlarge the blade gap. "The ports were unchanged in this version, but the blade gap matches the V2." I understand that v.1.5 is a very rare beast to find in the wild.
The most prominent feature is probably that the step from the centre of a plate to the safety bar is more distinct than on a V1.

Here on this picture v.1.5 is on the top and v.1 and v.2 are respectively shown and signed below:

Last edited:

N_Architect

Travel, See, Feel, Explore
I had it on loan and shaved with it couple of times.
Mild, pretty mild.
V2 is better, still mild but with V1 people found it terribly ineffective.

Few lads still use it here (and love it), @MPF9, Arthur or Mem perhaps, cannot remember well - but it's mainly wet shavers who predominantly have other SEs as well in their rotation.

Masamune

Forum GOD!
I'm using my Sabre L1 for the lockdown so I'm comfortable with a mild SE. Just don't want to end up with the V1 if I go for one.

MPF9

Forum GOD!
I'm using my Sabre L1 for the lockdown so I'm comfortable with a mild SE. Just don't want to end up with the V1 if I go for one.
Hi
I had an ATT SE-G with a revised plate, not very good. A friend did some alterations, which made it better. But struggled to get consistently good close shaves, very poor around the neck. Much better Shaves from Vintage 1912,1914 etc. Passed mine on.

Masamune

Forum GOD!
Wow, that was fast 😄

They must have a bunch of them. I didn't get a choice of finishes but mine was discounted.

vates

Legendary Member
A marvelous Sunday morning shave.

The razor is definitely very mild and ‘secure’. However, the efficiency is not low, rather medium. I’d say a notch further than your regular ‘Tech’ (though those were a plenty). Thanks to the great software, DFS2BBS achieved with absolutely no damage to the skin. In three passes. No buffing, just light strokes with minimum to no pressure.
There’s almost no blade feel but there’s audible feedback when the blade actually engages in cutting.
Also, it was easier (for me) to find a proper angle than on vintage GEM’s.

The bottom line: here it stays.
So far, this is the most ‘pleasant’ GEM razor I’ve tried (among ER1914, MM OC and CPP, Contour I). For more blade feel and aggression I can always use my ER1914 (Micromatic should probably go though).

À propos, the G1 head is currently attached to the Calypso handle. But I'd like it perhaps a bit shorter. Does anyone by chance have a satin Atlas handle FS? Please, drop me a line.

Last edited: