Are we alone?

Rusty Blade

Forum GOD!
I mean are we alone in the universe. Do you believe there is life on other planets...or are we the only intelligent (yes, I know that's debatable) living creatures in the universe? Personally, I believe there must be other forms of life elsewhere. Just the numbers of planets in all the galaxies out there there must be a few with other forms of life. What say you? Are we alone?

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
In the solar system, almost certainly. Possibly not in the galaxy and definitely not in the universe.

Although to quote Douglas Adams:
“It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.”

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
We are definitely not alone. I swear to god that every time I look at websites that sell shaving products, I hear voices talking to me. Sometimes they tell me I need it and to buy it and sometimes they tell me I have too much stuff as it is. But when I turn my head to see who’s talking, no one is there.

MPH

Forum GOD!
Would seem highly likely that there's other life out there somewhere. With the infinite size of space, it's also quite likely we'll never meet any of it before the sun goes boom and we are all reduced to space dust.

... Sorry, that seems a little more miserable than I intended it to be! :)

Wayne

Forum Sod
I sincerely hope so. I don't believe Mankind can handle meeting inhabitants of other planets especially Americans. You only have to see the average Hollywood movie to see they would want to destroy anything that comes anywhere near us, providing they are capeable of doing so, if not they'll have a bloody good go at it. I also hope Humans never populate another planet as I believe we are nothing short of a cancer on this planet that will ultimately destroy it and all it's wonders.

sɐǝɹpu∀

riverrun
I sincerely hope so. I don't believe Mankind can handle meeting inhabitants of other planets especially Americans. You only have to see the average Hollywood movie to see they would want to destroy anything that comes anywhere near us, providing they are capeable of doing so, if not they'll have a bloody good go at it. I also hope Humans never populate another planet as I believe we are nothing short of a cancer on this planet that will ultimately destroy it and all it's wonders.
I was hoping you meant "I don't believe Mankind, especially Americans, can handle meeting inhabitants of other planets", but after reading the next sentence I suppose that you didn't.
If I ever meet any of them I definitely won't ask them to take me to their leader.
:p: