Apple CarPlay am I missing something ?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
New car delivered last week, has Sat Nav, Bluetooth, DAB and CarPlay. So it’s all connected up to my iPhone (XR). But with the CarPlay it shows certain compatible apps. But none seem useful or just double up on other functions ? Already have Sat Nav so don’t need Maps, music is via media on car stereo on Bluetooth. Contacts are all available through normal Bluetooth. So am I missing anything or is it just a useless extra ?

MrK1

Forum GOD!
I have a 2014 A4 with all the bits you mentioned, but I don't have Apple Car play or Android Auto.

Like you, music is streamed through BT. All calls are made and received using the normal car controls.

The only reason I wish I had Android Auto is for Sat Nav. Having a 5 year old car means my maps are 5 years out of date. Audi want more than £500 for the update which is mental.

I have to use Google maps on my phone screen rather than the car LCD.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I have a 2014 A4 with all the bits you mentioned, but I don't have Apple Car play or Android Auto.

Like you, music is streamed through BT. All calls are made and received using the normal car controls.

The only reason I wish I had Android Auto is for Sat Nav. Having a 5 year old car means my maps are 5 years out of date. Audi want more than £500 for the update which is mental.

I have to use Google maps on my phone screen rather than the car LCD.
Understand what you mean on the maps. We bought an SE Tech model which comes with Sat Nav. I’ve no doubt it will be gone within three years, so I won’t worry too much about updates. I’ve also a paid up CoPilot app which I use in the Pug. I paid up for North America maps on CoPilot too, something like £22, it’s served the last two trips over there. Based on one rental company wanting £15 a day for Sat Nav it’s an absolute bargain and includes regular updates.

I’m not sue how long Skoda allow you to update without charging, but at least the system is far easier with it being all on a SD card. £500 is far too heavy in my opinion for something that takes minutes.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
65- Astra Elite Nav.

I use CarPlay over the inbuilt software. I prefer Google Maps to the car’s satnav and it integrates well with Spotify and Amazon Music.

Burry

Forum GOD!
I use Android Auto (which is androids equivalent to CarPlay, though I don't know exactly how similar they are). Although my car has built-in sat nav, music, phone plus access to contacts etc like yours, I find that using Android Auto means I can use voice control for everything. I just ask it to navigate to an address, read messages out loud when I get a message, send messages, play a podcast or music playlist etc. I can do all this without touching the phone or car display, or taking my eyes of the road. Plus Google maps reroutes me according to traffic conditions, which my built in sat nav does not. I also use it to set reminders of things to do as they occur to me while driving along (all by voice). To do any of that with the car built in software means I have to start tapping the screen which I try to avoid.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I use Android Auto (which is androids equivalent to CarPlay, though I don't know exactly how similar they are). Although my car has built-in sat nav, music, phone plus access to contacts etc like yours, I find that using Android Auto means I can use voice control for everything. I just ask it to navigate to an address, read messages out loud when I get a message, send messages, play a podcast or music playlist etc. I can do all this without touching the phone or car display, or taking my eyes of the road. Plus Google maps reroutes me according to traffic conditions, which my built in sat nav does not. I also use it to set reminders of things to do as they occur to me while driving along (all by voice). To do any of that with the car built in software means I have to start tapping the screen which I try to avoid.
Never tried google maps. It’s not often we even use the SatNav. Most of my journeys are between work or home. Doubt I would use the speak out to read or dictate facility, haven’t had that before. Anyone texting me while I’m driving gets ignored until I pull over or get to final destination, unless the kids or Mrs are in the car. I receive calls very rarely and never make any at the wheel, simply never have anything that urgent.

Only real facility of Bluetooth for me is jumping in the car knowing I can put on music from the phone with no leads etc and change from steering wheel. My OCD doesn’t like leads hanging around, another reason I won’t like using the car play as I need to plug it in via USB? If it’s on Bluetooth it can go in a lided storage thingy in the car.

Last edited:

mbarno

Veteran
Apple CarPlay allows me to hear sms and WhatsApp, as well as respond to those messages. I have, what I believe to be a fairly flat accent, but some of the dictations are laughable, others perfect.

Music Apps like Spotify/deezer/Apple Music definitely work better via car play that Bluetooth