Any pure EV owners here?

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Got one on order for 1st September. Just wondered what experiences others have had. Going to keep our diesel guzzler but we have been a 'one car family' too long since I retired in 2011. Even at my age now I am getting really excited about 'supporting' the planet and taking EVERY other bugger at the lights ( ok , joking but possible ). Home charging installations have not been straight forward though.

Last edited:

R181

Grumpy old man
Be interesting to here what other pure EV owners have to say. I'd consider a hybred as there is not enough infrastructure for recharging on road trips and pure EVs don't have the legs to do 400 mile road trip in sub zero temps without recharging. Things are changing though.

Bob

Mr_Smartepants

Genius Member
In all seriousness, I'm tempted by the Tesla model-S. What I can't get over is the huge price difference between the US & UK spec Teslas. The UK variant is nearly double the price of it's US counterpart.
I hear that the 10% tariff is being renegotiated so that EV vehicles entering the UK would be exempt from the 10% tariff. That should reduce the sting a little, but not enough.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Double! I know we, in the UK, are used to being fleeced but double is outrageous. In another 18-24 months there'll be a lot more EVs to choose from.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
My mate is a MG dealer. MG now being a Chinese owned brand. He’s been big upping their MG EV, seems like they have put a fair bit of money into it. The battery technology has come on in leaps and bounds. He has a charging point and does get a couple a day usually charging up. I expect during August he will get a few more, we have quite a seasonal influx of holiday makers and charging points are listed. Trouble being where he’s showroom is on the outskirts a bit and a walk away from a shopping outlet or the main town, nothing to do in his showroom.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
We’re a two car family and have always bought used, usually two or three years old. I’ve had a long drive today and spent some of it - mainly when the wife kiboshed Test Match Special - thinking about whether the next will be our last powered by fossil fuels. The wife’s ten-year-old Fiat 500 is next up to be replaced (but will hopefully last us another three years) to be replaced - probably with a large family car, should more kids be in our future.

I don’t see that next vehicle being completely electric, although mild hybrid is not unlikely, as there’ll have to be rather large developments financially and practically in the next couple of years for it to work for us.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
We’re a two car family and have always bought used, usually two or three years old. I’ve had a long drive today and spent some of it - mainly when the wife kiboshed Test Match Special - thinking about whether the next will be our last powered by fossil fuels. The wife’s ten-year-old Fiat 500 is next up to be replaced (but will hopefully last us another three years) to be replaced - probably with a large family car, should more kids be in our future.

I don’t see that next vehicle being completely electric, although mild hybrid is not unlikely, as there’ll have to be rather large developments financially and practically in the next couple of years for it to work for us.
I think myself hybrid is the way to go, based on me being concerned over charging, where to charge and being caught out or waiting for a charge. I also think there’s more work to be done on energy recovery. In my mind a moving wheel has potential to generate.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Currently we have 3 cars, all gasoline powered: BMW Z4, Audi Q5 and Lexus IS 300. The Lexus is 16 years old and I’ll likely replace it in 3 years with a Lexus hybrid. My next door neighbour runs 2 Teslas, but I’m not there yet with an EV. He also sells electric boats and ironically he has to transport them with a huge pick-up truck powered by a Cumins Diesel engine.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Have to say, we are really loving this little car and it is working for us especially for Mrs Gaf doing a 14 mile round trip to work that can take 2 hours in the shitty traffic. We have the X4 for journeys so no range anxiety issues. Great in the frosty mornings. Set departure time and it will precondition both the batteries and the cabin. All ready to go when others have the scrapers out. Appreciate that this is not for everybody but hey, this will also take most high performance ICE cars from a stationary start. Not something to be done regularly ( especially at my age ) but it does bring some surprised faces from the boy racers. Spent £17.00 in Leccy last month. That was for 20 days work there and back and a bit of social too.

IMG_5928 copy.jpg

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
I think myself hybrid is the way to go, based on me being concerned over charging, where to charge and being caught out or waiting for a charge. I also think there’s more work to be done on energy recovery. In my mind a moving wheel has potential to generate.
We have the charger installed on the house. No cost. Energy recovery is excellent with regenerative braking. Hardly need to touch the brake pedal once the driving style is got used to. All that regen goes back into the battery.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
So 9 months in , the EV is a world that we have grown to love. More benefits to add. Switched services from OVO ( who I would recommend anyway ) to Octopus then put the Leccy on 'Go' tariff. 5p per kwh for a 4 hour period overnight. Yahoo. Charging the car fully costs almost nothing. They have also scrapped the luxury car tax on pure EVs registered between certain dates. Another £300+ per annum we expected to pay for the fully specced' car that can now go towards shaving gear.

Hectorsgaf

Well used member
Hope you ICE users are enjoying the snow in the UK. It is such a pain ( not ) walking out the house to a completely clear and warm car when others are scraping and that is even if I don't have to go anywhere. :wink: Spent £2.46 on 'fuel' in January. Marked reduction on my £5.26 bill for December. Out on icy side roads today. Car into eco pro mode, Direct Traction Control off and away we went. . Got the wife a Pfizer vaccine and home safely. :D. We still have the 4 wheel drive diesel X4 but this is first choice every time.