Any Martial Artists using the forum?

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Coincidentally, I have watched overview videos of Judo. I am interested in this martial art. Being in my mid 40's assume that I'm over't hill in terms of starting out.
I'm late 40s and started Judo last year ...

What I like about our club is we do about a half hour warm up with specific exercises for the sport and at the end a good 20 minute or so warm down with stretches specifically for the muscles used. This means you're not crippled the next day.

First week, first lesson was about how to roll and how to fall properly. My second week, the beginner Coach wasn't there and I just mucked in with everyone else (mostly black belt) which wasn't at all like being thrown to the lions - they were very supportive, instructive and encouraging, but still threw me around.

Of course, COVID has put a proper crimp on close-combat sports. Some sports are starting up again in some areas, some have specific limitations imposed by their governing body. Get in touch and see what's what ...

pjgh

Forum GOD!
don't need a sabre coach to fence sabre - just run at each other swinging the sabre and job done. Easy.
It's technically the same as foil, just more silly ...

Step, step, head smash, shout as loud as you can! "Simultaneous" call from the referee. Repeat until referee arbitrarily awards left or right, generally alternating until 14:14 and then purely random on the 15th point. Just don't cross your feet!

I still find it quite staggering that an entire elimination round can be fenced to the full 29 points (15:14) in a mere matter of seconds of actual fencing time. I know they do start and stop the clock with sabre, but it is a bit pointless.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
My grandson now holds a second degree black belt and my granddaughter is testing for her first degree black belt in April. It seems they are now competing nearly every weekend, but they love it; not sure about their parents though. My youngest granddaughter, who is 5, recently enrolled in Taekwon-Do; her mother, my daughter, holds a red belt.
My granddaughter was awarded her black belt earlier this month. Testing was delayed for several months due to COVID.
Also, she has been identified as high potential as a future Olympian and is now training in the high performance group; as the name suggests, it’s very rigorous, but she is tenacious and enjoys the intensity. What amazes me, aside from her dedication to the sport, is to see her break multiple boards in one blow of her hand or foot as she’s just a slip of a girl.

Enjoyment of martial arts seems to run in the family: my son holds a second degree black belt in Taekwon-Do, my two daughters hold red belts, my grandson holds a second degree black belt, my granddaughter now holds a first degree black belt, my other granddaughter now holds a yellow belt and I fence foil and was a third kyu in Judo in secondary school.

Forged

I'm an Epeeist. Sabre dabbler, too ... penalty shootout fencing. That's for sheer fun and not something I take at all seriously. I suppose I'm still a pretty good Foilist, but the way it's fenced bears little resemblance to the actual rules and you really need a Coach with their finger on the pulse in terms of trends in refereeing to really thrive with that weapon. I switched over to Epee maybe three years ago and never looked back. I do (did, before COVID lockdown) a lot of competitive fencing, mostly on the Veteran's Circuit. I do a few regular opens throughout the year ... even sand the rust off my foils every now and again for regional competitions.
Ah yes, Epee, the sensible person’s choice.

I hear you on foil: I was fencing most actively when the flick was just starting to become a thing. It wreaked havoc on local and regional competitions in my area and was the main driver in my migration to concentrating more on Epee. That and the ever changing interpretations of ROW.

It’s nice that you (normally) have plenty of opportunities to stay active in competition. I suppose Covid downtime is the perfect opportunity to deal with any backlog of maintenance: I know that at any given time I always had about half of my gear out of commission waiting to be repaired, darn wires, points, cords, lames......

Forged

I fence foil, but had to hang it up a couple of years ago due to the lack of opponents at my club. This situation was not due to my fencing prowess, but rather my age. Our Veterans contingent was always thin, but over time it became no existent. I tried fencing with younger members, but I’m 72 so fencing with teenagers is not much fun. I hung around for awhile taking lessons and fencing with the foil coach, but that wasn’t sustainable. We’re trying to reconstitute the Veterans group, but so far most of those who have evinced interest so far are well under 60. Unfortunately my fencing skills are not developed enough to compensate for my age. I started fencing in my 50s so I’m not one of those life-long European fencers who started when they were 3 and can hold their own against opponents who are one third their age.
don't need a sabre coach to fence sabre - just run at each other swinging the sabre and job done. Easy.
:laugh:

It used to be less like that, but nowadays, yeah.....