Any Harley owners? Advice please

carbold

Carlo
Hello Gents.
I am thinking about getting into bikes again, my last bike was a BMW R1150GS which took me all around Europe.
I fancy a HD this time, something simple, not after power. Possibly solo riding, and short distances. I'm 6 foot 1, and want a comfortable ride.
I quite like the 1200 Sportster Roadster, 2 disc front brakes and inverted forks, decent rear suspension. Any suggestions from fellow HD owners?

Vacumatic

Dogged
I was in Florida last year and offered test rides on an Indian Scout and Harley 48, the engineering, build quality, paint, smoothness and comfort of the Indian were head and shoulders above the Harley.

But the Harley just looked so good.

One of those questions, do you buy with your head or your heart.

carbold

Carlo
Totally, there are a million bikes that are better, more advanced etc, but hey it's an Harley...
In terms of comfort, what was the difference? How tall are you?

Vacumatic

Dogged
Totally, there are a million bikes that are better, more advanced etc, but hey it's an Harley...
In terms of comfort, what was the difference? How tall are you?
I am 6'1", seat height wasn't an issue. The Indian was really smooth, the Harley had a rough patch at around 55, just about cruising speed. The seat on the Indian was better, a quality item and comfortable for a couple of hours.

The Indian I rode had forward controls, not something I would want but with the low seat height I would need to check out normal pegs before signing the check. Some people say that the Indian is too quiet as standard, you need to take a view on that.

I have had a Sportster when I lived in central London, the main dealer at the time was FH Warr on Kings Road in Chelsea, just around the corner from where I lived.

If you are comparing either bikes to a BMW for touring I think you will be disappointed, If it is just general riding around town then it;s a tough call, as I said, heart or head.

carbold

Carlo
For me the main issue before I start test riding is that the Sportser is not too small a frame for my height. From what you are saying it seems like it wasn't a problem for you....No more touring for me for a long time, until the children are bigger I guess, another 10 years. This bike would be for the occasional ride when the weather is good :D

Vacumatic

Dogged
I have just called someone that I thought had a Sportster to ask his opinion. He bought an Iron in Spring 2019 and swapped in for a Street Glide in the Autumn, he made the change because of vibration at 55-65 mph, his hands would go numb on a ride of 10 miles or more. He also said that he knew someone with an Indian Scout and that had not been a pain free purchase with a number of electrical failures including the cooling fan and switchgear.

We all have different priorities, personally reliability comes right at the top but YMMV.

Billyfergie

Forum GOD!
I have Owned & Restored & Built & Tuned Many Harley Davidsons in My Day..I Toured Europe on a Harley 1000 cc Iron Head Sportser for 3 Months in My Younger Days..It was Comfortable & Never Missed a Beat..The New Evolution 1200 Sporster Engines are Smoother & Ya Can Tour on Em No Problem..Have a Test Ride on One & See if it Fits Ya.. :okay:

My Favorite Harleys were the Older Shovel Heads..I Rode One for Over 10 Years..:cool:

New Model Harleys are as Reliable as Jap Bikes these Days..My Choice was Always Vintage Including Triumph & Nortons..:happy:

Billy

Last edited: