Another soap thread…

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
I’ve bought a lot of soaps over the last 3+ years. I’m happy with the ones* I use now but I’m looking for some inspiration…

There’s being a lot of new artisans over the last few years and they get the ‘hype train’ treatment and become flavour of the month but the majority fall away to the next new thing. Which ones have impressed enough to become a permanent fixture in your set-up?

*The ones I already use are Martin De Candre, Saponificio Varesino, Eufros, Declaration Grooming (Bison Tallow base only) and Fine Accoutrements.

Cheers
Rob

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Not sure I can give inspiration, in fact the opposite, as my experience has been different. Whilst I enjoy using MdC, SV, B&M, Wholly Kaw, Eufros etc. I have found that I gravitated towards Vitos Red, Palmolive and Speick. I prefer these soaps and for me, their performance, longevity and value betters the artisan offerings I have used. I will therefore not replace any of my artisan soaps. Even regular staples like Tabac, Hasslinger and D R Harris will likely not be replaced, although I have significant back-up stock. Funny how one's preferences change over time.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
What about Stirling? A great soap with good slickness and cushion. And they have a ton of scents. Some mentholated and others not. Their samples are the best bargain in shaving soaps and their full sized tubs are bigger than any other tubs I've seen. Amazing for loading a brush.

p.b

Forum GOD!
the chinning bar for me is whether I re-buy it. So far only Grooming Dept qualify (in addition to Mike's and Eufros and B&M, but I don't consider them as new comers)

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
What about Stirling? A great soap with good slickness and cushion. And they have a ton of scents. Some mentholated and others not. Their samples are the best bargain in shaving soaps and their full sized tubs are bigger than any other tubs I've seen. Amazing for loading a brush.
I'm not a fan of Stirling. To save a lot of time I also don't like/rate anything made in the UK, apart from C. R. Salter. Yes that includes Wickhams and P&B.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
the chinning bar for me is whether I re-buy it. So far only Grooming Dept qualify (in addition to Mike's and Eufros and B&M, but I don't consider them as new comers)
I reckon I'll have to go for a Grooming Dept soap soon. I've had a look in the past but they are usually sold out or none of the scents appeal to me at the time.

Stonec0ld

Forum GOD!
I've been very impressed with Murphy & McNeil. Very good base, scents are not overly strong, and they do alcohol free splashes so no issue getting them shipped over.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Rob my honest advice is to go for the 'older' brands, for the very explanation you have in the OP. Just check to make sure they are still able to lather, as I may be using old stock. I haven't bought any newer options for the last few years. I'm enjoying D.R.Harris, TOBS and Trumpers all as hard soaps. Old spice and icoloniali (discontinued) are also worth a mention.

Despite not having duck, goose or whatever other type of fat, a load of Shea butter or otherwise I still find these soaps excellent. To qualify 'excellent'; very slick, lots of cushion, lovely scents. No irritation and great post shave.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I've been very impressed with Murphy & McNeil. Very good base, scents are not overly strong, and they do alcohol free splashes so no issue getting them shipped over.
Same here. I also rate Summer Break too - very good all-rounder, which I am going to buy again with my next Maggards order

R181

Grumpy old man
Nothing inspiring from here either. I do have MdC, SV and a few other artisan soaps but won't be getting any more. I am going to stick with the old reliables like Arko shave sticks, Wilky shave sticks, Palmolive shave sticks, Tabac in puck and shave stick forms and MWF as well as other low cost old reliable shave creams. They simply work very well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Bob

halvor

a most elusive fish
Echo on Grooming Dept.

With the new shipping policy, join forces with another one or two in the UK and get free shipping on five tubs, I think it was. Next release is 812 October(?) - info on the GD website.

Blackmass

Forum GOD!
Rob my honest advice is to go for the 'older' brands, for the very explanation you have in the OP. Just check to make sure they are still able to lather, as I may be using old stock. I haven't bought any newer options for the last few years. I'm enjoying D.R.Harris, TOBS and Trumpers all as hard soaps. Old spice and icoloniali (discontinued) are also worth a mention.

Despite not having duck, goose or whatever other type of fat, a load of Shea butter or otherwise I still find these soaps excellent. To qualify 'excellent'; very slick, lots of cushion, lovely scents. No irritation and great post shave.
Nothing inspiring from here either. I do have MdC, SV and a few other artisan soaps but won't be getting any more. I am going to stick with the old reliables like Arko shave sticks, Wilky shave sticks, Palmolive shave sticks, Tabac in puck and shave stick forms and MWF as well as other low cost old reliable shave creams. They simply work very well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Bob
Fair enough. I think I've tried virtually all the older brands apart from icoloniali and Vitos.
I was hoping there might be a brand which had gone under my radar.