Alternatives to plastic wrap and bags

Discussion in 'ATG Cafe' started by halvor, Mar 14, 2019.

1. halvor

halvor Esquire

I’m not a die hard environmentalist recycler (more like a when convenient kind...) nor the first or early adopter of stuff, but, having kids, I think I should strive to be a better inhabitant of this planet.

My cousin introduced me to this ‘bees wrap’ for use with food as an alternative to plastic wrap or plastic bags. Block of cheese wrapped in one of them in the pic below.

Anyone else use these? Or what other stuff do you use which is more environment friendly than plastic?

F9239B33-46BD-4483-865C-1FBF2FC6257D.jpeg

2. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

I've heard good things about these. My mam uses them, as it happens.

From a personal perspective I see the 'use it until it dies' philosophy for bags to not be a bad one, for existing bags. No more buying new ones.

I guess dog mess bags would work too :confused:They're pretty air-tight and should last long enough for storing some food but are degradable, ultimately.
    There's also a likelihood of tending towards PLA as a 'plastic alternative' instead of PET, PP etc. so that'll be something to look out for. :)

2hot 2trot likes this.
  3. les24preludes

les24preludes Senior Member

I just want to say I'm appalled at the unnecessary use of plastic in supermarkets. My local Tesco is one of the worst. A small bunch of grapes is first placed in a semi-rigid plastic tray and that is then put in a plastic bag. Same with some sandwiches. They really, really don't care and there's no legislation to stop this happening.

4. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

Hear, hear. I had a shock when the local Tesco went from selling loose, pre-made buns/baps/rolls to individually flow-wrapping them. At least before you had the option to put it in a reusable bag. Literally a step backwards.

5. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Grishnak and Shaverrific666 like this.
  6. les24preludes

I'm all for a sense of humour in just about anything, but the future of the earth is no laughing matter.

7. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

OK, cancel the sense of humor.

Bob

Mrchick, Sid James and p.b like this.
  8. Grishnak

Grishnak Über Member

I’m with you Bob.
    The only thing we are trying to save is ourselves and we are more like a virus at this stage.
    Once we’ve gone, the earth will recover, evolution will carry on and shrug off the blip.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Cheesepiece and Matsilainen like this.
  9. Belfont

Belfont Forum GOD!

Same as you Halvor
    very concerned about environmental issues
    for having tried, I think that the solutions proposed by ecologists are very theoretical, concretely speaking, the effects are nonexistent and unfortunately often negative and counterproductive

10. ManicDee

ManicDee Forum GOD!

One of our local grocer's has started to use biodegradable plastic bags for fruit or veg. It is a start and it got me thinking about just how much plastic is used in shaving products! Thing is, in the 1990s in my county, a glass recycling plant was closed because everything was gradually turning from glass bottles to plastic.
    Here's the thing, would it be better to have metal tins or an alternative waxed paper etc.

11. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

@halvor The Bee's Wrap looks like a good idea in place of plastic storage bags.

While asking, does the person that wrapped the cheese have experience in the food industry (nice job)?

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Forum GOD!

Hygiene guidelines and plastic waste reduction seem to conflict sometimes. Since I cannot remember that we got sick from the way our food was packed when I was young, I would favour getting rid of some of nowaday's packing. With vegetables, you should rinse them before processing anyway. The only exceptions are meat and fish; better to be careful with those.

13. halvor

halvor Esquire

Thanks, Howie. The only relevant experience would be at a fish and seafood shop way back in the days. Tbh, it’s about understanding the principles behind the wrapping and I got those straight away. (Can’t say the same of everyone I encounter in delis and supermarkets unfortunately...) However, this wrap is waxed and resin treated, and thus seals easily just from the warmth of one’s hands, so everyone could do it.

I’ve got three at present, all in use for hard cheese, and will get more. They’re good for a year’s (re)use according to specs.

Paper Plane likes this.
  14. bambrit

bambrit Forum GOD!

As a species, humans are cruel, inhumane, violent and destructive morons. We pollute and destroy the ground, water and air in a multitude of ways.

So sure, stop using plastic straws and bags but its ultimately just lipstick on a pig. Excess packaging is out of control so we could force real change by starting with punishing eco levy fees for all types of non-reusable, non-environmentally friendly packaging and products and invest in meaningful advancements to reclaim much of the material we're already dumping.

R181 and les24preludes like this.
  15. les24preludes

We're animals. And for all our intelligence and culture we put our personal interests first. If that defines us as egotistical pigs with bigger brains then so much the worse for us. We can see the future coming even, but clearly that doesn't help.

bambrit likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice