Alternative to ssri medication.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Nutrition and exercise are obviously worth pursuing, as are other lifestyle changes that better reflect your values (and ideally boost your oxytocin!). I would also speak to your doctor about changing medication. I would also properly engage with any talking therapies (e.g. CBT) that you can avail yourself of. From my lived experience, talking therapies have been life-changing. From there, perhaps consider complementary therapies - mindfulness, yoga etc.

pearse85

Über Member
Have you tried life coaching? It's not something for major depression or anxiety, but on the other hand it's very energy-giving and life affirming. I have a number of friends that are life coaches or who have had life coaching and as long as the coach is well trained and experienced (like ICF level PCC) you can get positive results relatively quickly. Think positive psychology. In cases of depression it would be used alongside existing practitioners, not replacing them in any way. For positive psychology try out Seligman "Learned Optimism".

Do you think you might be happier if you moved to another part of the world? Belfast has had a lot of troubles, and this must be reflected in the outlook of those that live and work there. I don't know how much you feel the environment is a factor.
Im a married man, with 2 children 4&5, moving isnt really an option at the minute but i would love to move out of belfast tbh, somewhere just outside in the countryside.

donnie_arko

Veteran
Long time sufferer of depression and anxiety, been on prescribed medication since i was 18 (now 34) and im sick of taking these medications, side affects far outweigh any noticeable positives.
So thinking of giving them the boot and trying something different.

I have been reading up about 5-htp and combining it with l-tyrosine, combining this with a little training and a healthier diet, anyone any experience of this or would like to add any info?

I live in Belfast and it is in the grips of a suicide epidemic, some people mention similar statistics in other places fresh out of conflict, my own opinion is alot of it is to do with the pitfalls of social media, readily available drugs prescription and illegal, low wages, rising costs and basically the struggles of life.

I am determined not to become another statistic, lost to suicide.

P
First and foremost pearse85, great credit to you for posting up such a topic. It's never easy to talk about these things, and I'm of the genuine belief the more these things are discussed it's better to have such issues out in the open than just in one's mind.

Sorry to hear you've been having some problems and the suicide epidemic in Belfast doesn't sound the best.

I'm a few years older than you and I've been on and off the SSRI's for about the same duration you've been on them and from my experiences it's really easy to start taking them but coming off them can be much much trickier, especially depending on the particular medication. So if you do come off the ones you are taking I'd recommend tapering off them as gradually as you can; I did one of mine going from a pill a day to a half every day then a half every other day but to state the obvious clear the situation.

I have no experience of 5-htp and l-tyrosine, so I can't provide any insights there.

There's some good advice here about your addressing your diet. Again from personal experience, I find eating processed/crappy foods can be enjoyable to eat at times but can leave me feeling fatigued which can then impact my mood; it's about finding what I have the time/energy etc to cook which suits my constitution. Aside from taking pay close attention to what I eat, I find it's really important to pay even more attention to what I drink.

Aside from doing some exercise, meditation I've found doing a CBT course has been beneficial to an extent; a lot of the CBT practises are quite common sense in a way ie in trying to stop doing things which were making me unhappy and trying to find ways to work around them, also spending more time doing things I enjoy, my creative hobbies in particular are the ones which seem to provide the most pleasing distractions.

Anyway, I feel I've rambled a fair amount. I'm always around for a PM discussion if you want to further discuss any of the points I raised here or anything else.

Good luck my friend.

Cheesepiece

Gold Member No. 8
Avocado pudding: 2 ripe avocados, 25g unsweetened cocoa powder, 45 ml pure maple syrup. Blend until smooth and chill it down (friggin tasty and decent for you)
Intrigued by this particular recommendation, I am now in a position to thoroughly endorse this recipe.
Tastes like real dessert but you know exactly what's in it.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.
And I wish you well on your journey, Pearse.

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!
Long time sufferer of depression and anxiety, been on prescribed medication since i was 18 (now 34) and im sick of taking these medications, side affects far outweigh any noticeable positives.
So thinking of giving them the boot and trying something different.

I have been reading up about 5-htp and combining it with l-tyrosine, combining this with a little training and a healthier diet, anyone any experience of this or would like to add any info?

I live in Belfast and it is in the grips of a suicide epidemic, some people mention similar statistics in other places fresh out of conflict, my own opinion is alot of it is to do with the pitfalls of social media, readily available drugs prescription and illegal, low wages, rising costs and basically the struggles of life.

I am determined not to become another statistic, lost to suicide.

P
I've trIed the 5-htp caps but couldn't say if I felt any benifit but regular use of CBD oil seems to have an uplifting effect, high strength omega 3 along with a vitamin B complex and vitamin D seem to help also.
I hope this is of some help, please let me know what works for you once you've found out. P.