Review Alpha OUTLAW - DE 316L STAINLESS. FULLY MACHINED Prototype V3

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Blade support, or lack of blade support doesn't really enter my mind TBH. If I like the look I'll give it a go, proof is in the shave. For whats it's worth, I also find the Blackbird SB and more so, the OC super smooth with zero blade chatter. Also the Weber, which from memory, looks similar to this new Outlaw, a super smooth shaver.
To write off a razor without trying it is madness, (unless of course it is visually unappealing - I've written off razors myself due to looks alone)

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Blade support, or lack of blade support doesn't really enter my mind TBH. If I like the look I'll give it a go, proof is in the shave. For whats it's worth, I also find the Blackbird SB and more so, the OC super smooth with zero blade chatter. Also the Weber, which from memory, looks similar to this new Outlaw, a super smooth shaver.
To write off a razor without trying it is madness, (unless of course it is visually unappealing - I've written off razors myself due to looks alone)
Spot on mate. Too many folks writing something off without even using it or hearing anyone else’s experiences of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MPH

Forum GOD!
The design looks similar to razors I haven't liked, but I'd love to get on the pass around and find out for sure.

It would be lovely to see this venture become a great success, but that will only be determined by how it actually shaves, and how much hype the fans can muster about it (I.e. Wolfman).

I will watch with interest, .... I'm still waiting for a DE that can topple my Feather and Pils..... but I'm not holding my breath as I'm not sure they can be beaten! :)

snackgoblin

Über Member
Personally, I have no trouble with the "floating" blade on the Blackbird, but such a design in the "89" style head will cause blade chatter...and, I have a friend for whom the Blackbird also chatters, and he will only use a razor with a tightly supported blade.

I have not obviously shaved with the razor in this thread, but, I can understand why many would take hesitation with the non-supported blade. While many shavers may be okay with a floating design, I can see no downside, to simply designing the head with a fixed blade design.

But, again, this is not to pass judgment on a razor I have never used, perhaps these comments can help along the discussion---best wishes for the artisan

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
"Aggressive" doesn't mean anything, it's a razor, it's supposed to be sharp, I've never been attacked by a razor,... or a gun.
An aggressive razor is one that has a larger gap and more blade exposure making them harsher on the skin. You may have the opinion of it meaning nothing, however a very large number of wet shavers would disagree. And the blade is meant to be sharp not the razor that holds it.

TobyC

Patriot
An aggressive razor is one that has a larger gap and more blade exposure making them harsher on the skin. You may have the opinion of it meaning nothing, however a very large number of wet shavers would disagree. And the blade is meant to be sharp not the razor that holds it.
You're trolling me, hilarious.

snackgoblin

Über Member
I think different terminology may be more helpful: We might say that features like a larger gap or more positive blade exposure (maybe also other aspects, like slant, or open comb...and so on) make a razor more efficient, or, that it removes hair more easily; BUT, use the word aggressive, to mean, a razor that feels more harsh on the skin.

I believe there is not an essential connection between an efficient razor and an aggressive razor. I find my Blackbird very efficient, yet smooth...other people find the very same razor too harsh. The Long Comb Gillette New is another razor that, to me, is efficient without being aggressive. The Wunderbar (very close and uncomfortable) and Timeless 68 (not very close but very smooth and safe) match up better with the typical notion, efficient = aggressive. Meanwhile the Gillette Slim I once had, on its low settings, was neither close nor comfortable! :laugh:

AlphaShaving

Alpha Shaving Works Owner
Vendor
I always equate a combination of blade gap and blade exposure past the top cap to safety bar line as the measure of aggressiveness. Big gap and large positive exposure would mean super aggressive to me.

Is any one interested in seeing how this razor started out in terms of the first prototype direct from CAD to what it is now? It went through three prototype stages in machined steel and one in 3D printed nylon (waste of time as not really stiff enough...)

MPH

Forum GOD!
I always equate a combination of blade gap and blade exposure past the top cap to safety bar line as the measure of aggressiveness. Big gap and large positive exposure would mean super aggressive to me.

Is any one interested in seeing how this razor started out in terms of the first prototype direct from CAD to what it is now? It went through three prototype stages in machined steel and one in 3D printed nylon (waste of time as not really stiff enough...)
I'd certainly be interested to see the evolution of this razor. :)

Nisse

Old geezer
My straight razors excel in blade exposure, if handled with sufficient skill very effective/aggressive/close but not harsh, would that be possible in a safety razor design?

Mr Bigmem

Forum GOD!
You're trolling me, hilarious.
Not trolling you at all, i'm pointing out a well held census, which you seem to think is l myth. Whats actually hilarious is your ability to define how a razors characteristics will be before trying it and sticking to your guns and saying no everyone is wrong there will be blade chatter, and then when I do the similar thing by saying the Wolfman will be aggressive you're shutting me down by trying to do a stand up routine by saying a razor is meant to be sharp. Who's trolling who? :okay: