After Shave Balm

BlacknTan

Forum GOD!
I've never been a user of balms.. only when I get a "crispy" shave. To me, a crispy shave is one the causes irritation under the jaw line in the neck area. Always the first spot to feel irritation. My "go to", product was Nivea After Shave Balm. Not bad, but no scent.
For my last shave, I used some fee samples of Trufitt & Hill products. Pre Shave Oil, Shave Cream, and AS Balm. Everything matched. The Pre Shave Oil left me an oily mess. No more of that! But, I was surprised how well I took to the shave cream, AS balm combination. It got me thinking... in the future, when I buy a soap, I'll buy the matching balm, when available.
Being something of a neophyte in this area, this begs a few questions..

How many here use balms regularly? Do you use a balm in place of an aftershave lotion? I would think that alcohol from a splash would negate the effects of the balm. Am I correct? Are there any combos that you like better than others? BTW, it doesn't need to be paired up with a cream, could be a hard soap also..

All comments welcome..

LeeMaz

Forum GOD!
Having tried loads of post shave products over the years, (during the cartridge and de years), I swear by Bart’s Balm, it has an argan oil base and if I ever have any irritation it soothes it instantly. It’s not greasy, easily absorbed and soothing. Plus the scents are spot on, though they’ve just introduced a scentless one. A little goes a long way as well. I have tried the current scents and some of his trial samples from a test passaround else where and there isn’t a dud. The scents on some last all day. Well worth the investment.

bartje-p

Forum GOD!
I use balm, almost always after the shaving. Sometimes it is after a bit of aftershave, but most of the times I don't use the AS. Afterwards, I sometimes use an edt for the scent. I try to use balms with a (very) weak scent. L'Oreal Men Expert was quite nice, so are the balms from Balea (Germany). I believe my skin benefits from the use of a balm (moisturizing).

I always use a balm as I have dry skin. Normally after a splash or Witch hazel.

Personally, I really like Saponificio Varesino's "Pro Victis" aftershave cream. It's unscented, full of good ingredients and extremely efficacious if you've had a bad shave and a little goes a long way.
The down side is it's very expensive. That said it's one of the best post shave products I've used. Great for your face..terrible for your wallet!

I am currently using Barrister & Mann's unscented post shave balm and that's pretty good as well.

Good luck!

SammieM

Forum GOD!
I don’t always use balm, but the best I have used hands down is Lisa’s Natural Herbal Creations. The relief after a bad shave is instantaneous and they aren’t very dear. It doesn’t leave an oily feeling either. Skin feels hydrated and supple. Redness is gone soon after. Should be easy to get and they have sales usually.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I always use an aftershave balm, even though I use alcohol lotion afterwards

I use Korres Marigold & Ginseng. It is a very light balm with medium moisturizing power and does not leave any greasy trace on the skin.
I always use a balm or moisturise even if I haven’t shaved after having a shower. The Korres is a great product, big bottle and decent price too.

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
I am a balm user, I find it less drying on the face than a splash. Most balms seem to do the job for me, Nivea is a good inexpensive option. My go to has been L’Occitane for a while, it’s quite thick but very moisturising, ideal for the winter months. I have recently been using the new unscented Bonce Balm which I am really enjoying, I like the consistency and the fact I can apply a fragrance and know it won’t clash. I havent tried their scented balm but assume they should be the same quality.

jeepie

Forum GOD!
I always use an aftershave balm, even though I use alcohol lotion afterwards

I use Korres Marigold & Ginseng. It is a very light balm with medium moisturizing power and does not leave any greasy trace on the skin.
ooo - I tried to fine some of this. Is it still available?

Adox

Über Member
I use both aftershaves and balms, usually in that order when using both.
Recently I’ve been using aloe Vera gel for post shave and as a daily face and head moisturizer and I have to say I love it. Really cooling and not oily at all.
if I want a scented aftershave balm then I push the boat out a bit and buy LOccitane Eau des Baux. A little goes a long way with it and it smells great.

Aftershave splashes are incredibly cheap. I bought 4 different bottles and they will last me for years. The 4 bottles cost a fraction of what I’d pay for a bottle of Cologne.