About my blade...... On my kitchen knife

Grarea

Forum Plod
Here is the thing.
I have an old kitchen knife that i use at least once a day.
I haven't had it from new. I came across it on my day to day stuff and it became my only knife i use.

It is a Carbon Steel (I assume) Humphrey's knife with probably an antler handle.

Well, I noticed a couple of days ago it was cutting strange. I was a bit surprised as it was due a sharpen.
Today I had a look at it.

I broke my knife.......
Well, I can't remember doing anything unusual with it.
So took some quick closer shots.

Looks like it has just eroded away. It went pretty suddenly though.
Interestingly, you can see daylight along the edge through tiny holes.
Pretty sure looked at the edge a week ago.
Have i done something I shouldn't do with Carbon steel perhaps?
I am wondering if I have eaten the bits that are no longer there.

Disappointing, but interesting.

R181

Grumpy old man
Yup, just plain old fashion rusting going on. I'd bet if you were to polish up that blade you might find a lot of those darker spots are rust and possibly pitted. You really have to watch for rust spots when buying a used straight razor, especially near the bevel/edge. When you hone into those spots you start getting more pitting. Really frustrating. That is the reason I think the same thing is going on with your knife.

Bob

Grarea

Forum Plod
Yes, those dark spots on the last picture, for example, all are pits.
Some are actually holes.
It had an edge there last week. :D
I am tempted to cut it down. I might still, but I still want a long knife.
Looks like I need to look into that now....

Anyway, looking closely, the pits seem to go a pretty long way down the blade, so might not be worth the effort.
shame, I liked it. Was planning (for many years) to change the handle.
I guess I am glad it went before I did that.

Grarea

Forum Plod
It's served it's time but now there is not much else to do other than buy yourself a nice Japanese kitchen knife that you will cherish for the rest of your life. P
😊
That is what I am now pondering.
All about budget though.
I do like to buy well when I can.
I normally buy used to get value, but knives are not so easy to get used are they?
Best get researching.

TobyC

Patriot
Bleach? Citric acid? Was it Damascus and one of the layers was eaten away? Doesn't look like normal oxidation, which wouldn't accumulate with daily use, more like acid.

Pattorashu

Senior Moment
What is your normal cooking like? How much would you be willing to spend? What kind of shape is comfortable in your hand?

Grarea

Forum Plod
Bleach? Citric acid? Was it Damascus and one of the layers was eaten away? Doesn't look like normal oxidation, which wouldn't accumulate with daily use, more like acid.
OK, acid might do it do you reckon?
Again, I don't know it's history, and I never looked this close at it.
I don't think bleach but I have definitely used it on citrus fruit.
Can that eat away at metal?

Pretty sure it wasn't damascan, (Only by me looking at it)but I was wondering something similar.
Kind of like if it had a central core I had damaged the edge and it let it through.... or something?
You know. like Lulworth Cove :)

Grarea

Forum Plod
What is your normal cooking like? How much would you be willing to spend? What kind of shape is comfortable in your hand?
TLDR: What knife has everyone else got?

I like your questioning.
I assume this is towards the path of finding what type of knife?
That is handy as I am just trying to work out how to work out how to decide what to get.
Boy there is a lot out there isn't there?

OK, number one. Carbon steel.
I like that it holds an edge longer, but also, I have been sensitive to stainless steel (I think it is the nickel)
I might be over it, but want to avoid it where I can.

I am not sure on budget.
Kind of skint, but also I am too poor to buy cheap.
I use my knife two to four times a day and would like it to last.
However, I am no chef, I just make food, you know?
What I think I mean by that is that I don't have the money to pay for Damascan steel as that, i suspect, is at a premium at the moment as it is en vogue, non?
I also don't do anything fancy with it.
I doubt I would appreciate a top notch knife, but also I really notice a poorer knife.
So, I think that all makes sense..... It does in my head :)

I have always defaulted to something like a 20cm blade.
I have this one kicking around (well an older version).
It is ok, but would prefer nicer. Gives me a comparison.

I think ultimately I will be wanting a few knives.

I would like this daily driver, a smaller decent veg knife, say 8 or 9 cm, I would love a fish filleting knife, plus then something that is less precious for stuff like chicken ribs like when you spatchcock a chicken for example.

That is the long term plan i reckon.

In the mean time, I am after a general purpose knife.
About 20cm I reckon.
Kind of a sturdy blade as it is used for veg, including raw sweet potatoes that i hack away at.
Plus for stuff like peeling slices of butternut squash.
lol, I mean currently it gets used for everything, carving meat, preparing whole fish, slicing tomatoes.... all sorts.

Handle shape. I have never thought about that in any way.
The antler thing was a bit irritating as it wasn't symmetrical.

I think that is lowest on my priorities.

Well, thanks for that, that has helped me along my route of how to decide.
Now to see what is out there. See how much a 'pretty good' knife comes in at versus a 'good' and a 'very good'.

What knife has everyone else got?

TobyC

Patriot

Carbon Steel Chemical Compatibility Chart
:

Sodium Hypochlorite (<20%) (Clorox bleach)D-Severe Effect

Citric AcidD-Severe Effect

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member

I like your questioning.
That is handy as I am just trying to work out how to work out how to decide what to get.

I like that it holds an edge longer, but also, I have been sensitive to stainless steel (I think it is the nickel)

I am not sure on budget.
What I think I mean by that is that I don't have the money to pay for Damascan steel as that, i suspect, is at a premium at the moment as it is en vogue, non?
I doubt I would appreciate a top notch knife, but also I really notice a poorer knife.

I would like this daily driver, a smaller decent veg knife, say 8 or 9 cm, I would love a fish filleting knife, plus then something that is less precious for stuff like chicken ribs like when you spatchcock a chicken for example.

About 20cm I reckon.
Kind of a sturdy blade as it is used for veg, including raw sweet potatoes that i hack away at.
lol, I mean currently it gets used for everything, carving meat, preparing whole fish, slicing tomatoes.... all sorts.

Now to see what is out there. See how much a 'pretty good' knife comes in at versus a 'good' and a 'very good'.

Good guide there..
I bought Global purely on aesthetics, but to be honest they are not the most comfortable, which I had read before buying. They also sharpen at a steeper angle than "western" , not much of an issue, if you free hand it anyway. Edge wise, they hold it pretty well, but I touch up on a ceramic steel before use; the Mrs just uses until blunt and I have to sort them out!

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member

Good guide there..
I bought Global purely on aesthetics, but to be honest they are not the most comfortable, which I had read before buying. They also sharpen at a steeper angle than "western" , not much of an issue, if you free hand it anyway. Edge wise, they hold it pretty well, but I touch up on a ceramic steel before use; the Mrs just uses until blunt and I have to sort them out!
I should add that I have a 5'' Global Santoku too, and it is my most used knife. It just works the best for me for 80% of the prepping I do. The chefs knife come out for bigger stuff and the small paring knife peeling..

Blademonkey

Forum GOD!

I like your questioning.

I am not sure on budget.

About 20cm I reckon.

image.jpeg

I have a "DICK Ergogrip" meat boning knife and I use it for 99% of all my prep and it will slice through frozen chicken breast like a hot knife through butter. P.