A little advise needed

Fr34ksonaLeash

Forum GOD!
I was recently looking through some old razors that I inherited off my father and found this.
20210825_181644.jpg
20210825_185109.jpg
20210825_181713.jpg

Has anyone seen one of these before ?
Now I'm pretty sure the box isn't for this razor as from what I've seen butlers have the Sheffield steel mark. My main reason for the info is to see if it is worth putting an edge back on it (and if it would keep the edge) as I've always been intrigued by straight razor shaving and would like to try it at some point. Thanks in advance for looking

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Are there any marks on the other side of the tang? The Higham stamping could have been the outlet that sold the razor - just a guess as Oswestry is not known as a centre for razor making as far as I know.

Theres no reason why the razor should not be cleaned up and honed - and the only reason it would not keep an edge is if the temper has been ruined at some stage. That’s unlikely by the way, so I’d suggest you give it a go or send it out for honing if you dont have the equipment.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
I was recently looking through some old razors that I inherited off my father and found this.View attachment 99153View attachment 99155View attachment 99156
Has anyone seen one of these before ?
Now I'm pretty sure the box isn't for this razor as from what I've seen butlers have the Sheffield steel mark. My main reason for the info is to see if it is worth putting an edge back on it (and if it would keep the edge) as I've always been intrigued by straight razor shaving and would like to try it at some point. Thanks in advance for looking
I think the point is called a “sheep’s foot” shape.

it should clean up and hone well enough to use. I’ve seen worse that did well.

Fr34ksonaLeash

Forum GOD!
Are there any marks on the other side of the tang? The Higham stamping could have been the outlet that sold the razor - just a guess as Oswestry is not known as a centre for razor making as far as I know.

Theres no reason why the razor should not be cleaned up and honed - and the only reason it would not keep an edge is if the temper has been ruined at some stage. That’s unlikely by the way, so I’d suggest you give it a go or send it out for honing if you dont have the equipment.
There's no other markings or stamps other than the Higham owestry. The edge isn't chipped so may hone up ok but as I mentioned whether it will keep the edge is another matter (I'm not overly confident with unmarked steel). I guess the only way to tell is to try it.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
I googled Higham, Oswestry and came up with George Higham (and his two sons who dealt in guns). The guns were made to a high standard in Birmingham and finished off by the Higham brothers. The same thread also has details of a pocket knife with the same markings as your razor - and a suspicion that it was made in Sheffield and stamped with the Higham name.

Fr34ksonaLeash

Forum GOD!
I googled Higham, Oswestry and came up with George Higham (and his two sons who dealt in guns). The guns were made to a high standard in Birmingham and finished off by the Higham brothers. The same thread also has details of a pocket knife with the same markings as your razor - and a suspicion that it was made in Sheffield and stamped with the Higham name.
I found the same thread Rob which makes me feel a whole lot better about it being able to hold an edge. It might be a nice little project to clean it up and get it shave ready.